Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Whiskeys- do they really help with a headcold?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Cold Remedy

Ingredients
    a bottle of whiskey
    a hat

Method

Go to bed and put the hat on the left hand bedpost at the foot of the bed
    Get under the covers and drink from the bottle whilst keeping an eye on the hat
    Keep drinking the whiskey until the hat appears to move from the left hand bed post to the right hand bed post of its own accord. Stop drinking and sleep.

Your cold will be the last thing you will be worrying about come the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I have had a cold for over a week now. I have tried everything... Vit C, healthy diet, Paracetamol, garlic, Strepsils & Cough bottle.. but it's still lingering..

So what I want to know do Hot whiskeys actually help at all??

I think it's a good idea buck up on multivitamins anyway as you come into the colder months, eat plenty of oranges too.

Regarding the whiskey, well if I've a head cold I'd take a glass or two but you have to leave it there. Or you'll still have hangover to go with your head cold in the morning!

I swear by them. One or two before you go to bed for a night or two till the symptoms begin to wane a bit, the rest you can beat with beechams or whatever :) Throw in a clove or two, slice of lemon or orange if you have it, small amount of honey to sweeten.

Hope you feel better soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

Jameson, lemon, honey and cloves. If you really want to hit that cold use a lemon flavoured lemsip instead of the lemon juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Whiskey is the boss for colds. it sorts me right out doesnt have to be hot either. On the rocks it warms you right up and makes the head instantly forget its pains.

Yum.

Awe now i want a 12 year

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

BBDBB wrote: »
    Cold Remedy

Ingredients
    a bottle of whiskey
    a hat

Method

Keep drinking the whiskey until the hat appears to move from the left hand bed post to the right hand bed post of its own accord. Stop drinking and sleep.

A bedpost? What about those of us who must sleep upon the most pliable postless matresses? A corner could not possibly suffice in this situation

What about the common man? The man whom Joan Burton would love to narrate, who can't afford a bedpost yet has everything else he could possibly wish for, except for a cure for the cold?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

BBDBB wrote: »
    Cold Remedy

Ingredients
    a bottle of whiskey
    a hat

Method

What if he sleeps on a bed with no posts, it just wont work, but if he drank the bottle of whiskeyness in the living room and woke up on a bed in the same spot he drank the whiskeyness, the cold would be the last thing on his mind, so it would be gone, vanished into the nightness or dayness depending on when he decided to do it,

now his problem is, how the fook do I get this fook off bed out of the sitting room, I need some coffee not spelt like coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

If its a head cold, eat something spicy and use a sinus rinse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

If its a head cold, eat something spicy and use a sinus rinse

Shakes some curry powder on the viginaness while sniffing pepper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I have had a cold for over a week now. I have tried everything... Vit C, healthy diet, Paracetamol, garlic, Strepsils & Cough bottle.. but it's still lingering..

listermint wrote: »
    Whiskey is the boss for colds. it sorts me right out doesnt have to be hot either. On the rocks it warms you right up and makes the head instantly forget its pains.

There are some dangerous myths around about drinking for a cold.

The truth is that taking something like whiskey does to some extent numb pain but alcohol of any kind eventually lowers body temperature.
    This fools a person into thinking their body has warmed up - when in fact ones body temp' is actually gone lower matching more so the surrounding outside temp closer.

This is why its is particularly dangerous for the elderly to be sitting at home in the cold drinking alcohol and is regularly advised against.

Drinking alcohol lowers body temp - not raise it.
    If one is going to drink Whiskey, Gin, etc do so in a warm place that at least matches normal body temperature.
    Also don't mistake any possible 'burning' sensation of a short as it passes down ones throat, as an indication that its part of a warming effect. The two matters are not related.

Example article: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/alcohol-warms-up.htm

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭Sertus

No one is proposing they sit outside in the snow and drink it. I bet you were a blast at Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sertus wrote: »
    No one is proposing they sit outside in the snow and drink it. I bet you were a blast at Christmas.

I was dynamite! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

if you're ever out of lemsip and feel like shyte, make some fruit squash (miwadi or whatever) with boiling water. You'll get vitamins or whatever but mainly it gives you that comfy feeling lemsip gives you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Get in some of that cheap brandy from Lidl.
    Boil kettle.
    Proceed to mix boiled contents with aforesaid cheap brandy.
    Add one teaspoon of brown sugar (any type, none of your fancy ****)
    Repeat process and consume until approximately 67% of the brandy has been obliterated.

It probably wont cure your cold but you'll be pissed as a fart and forget about it for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

My eldery mother got advise from a friend to take honey,lemon and whiskey before bed. She goes to bed in afternoon for nap and then again at night. Her"cold" only gets bad around these times. Think she might have a fondness for the whiskey:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Your immune system is the only thing that will have any effect on getting rid of your cold. A hot whiskey or three will make you notice it less though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Technically, No. But yes-ish

The Cloves, Lemon and Hot water are all heading in the right direction, but alcohol actually destroys the vitamin C in the tiny bit of lemon and the 4 cloves are not really going to have the required Bolus effect.

Other suggestions of ginger and honey are also good-ish, but again you need to whack up the dosage. Curries with loads of garlic and ginger are reasonably good just because they are palatable enough to get loads down you, try eating a full plate of clove studded lemons and you'll regret it.

The Antibiotics issue is confusing, alcohol with a small few antibiotics can produce a nasty reaction, it can sometimes be very personal and can vary massively depending on the EXACT balance. However there are many many more antibiotics which are just rendered ineffectual or useless by even a small amount of alcohol.

I think the main benefit of a Hot Whiskey/Rum/etc. is just the cosiness and cuddle up to the fire/duvet feeling it creates, it's more the mood it creates that works rather than any pretend chemical/pharmaceutical effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Tried one over Christmas when had the flu,ten mins later was sweating like a Hooore,felt much better.

Placebo or a cure I dunno...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Without reading any previous posts. The answer is no. But in my experience after a hot whiskey you care a lot less. After two you care a lot, lot less. After three, perhaps you should consider stopping now because you'll have a hangover and a cold in the morning. Not good.

A few years ago my neighbour was taken to hospital, a dying woman. She smoked far too much, drank a lot. The Doctor, old school pointed out she'd have been dead a lot sooner if it wasn't for the fact that her tipple of choice was whiskey.

Uisce Beatha, water of life. Perhaps there is something to be said for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

As soon as you feel a cold coming on crush one glove of garlic and eat it raw. The symptoms shouldn't get any worse and the cold will clear up. Worked for me a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

uberwolf wrote: »

The brand of metronidazole prescribed here goes by the name Flagyl and should never be mixed with alcohol(nasty side effects).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

Hot whiskeys help the throat but made the fever worse for me. Do not mix with antibiotics!

Antibiotics do nothing for a cold anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

kilograms wrote: »
    Antibiotics do nothing for a cold anyway!

I'm on them for chest infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

OK! Antibiotics help with an infection like a sore throat or a deeper infection. Antibiotics won't help with a cold...

On the other hand!... Alcohol kills germs! Get a cold??? More whisky!! It's bound to kill something - germs or brain cells... Either way you'll feel better!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dangerous insomniac

Small amounts of alcohol can open the capillaries and blood vessels around the face, nose and ear areas in particular. Also if you put cloves and lemon slice in you're sorted because vitamin C from the lemon goes a long way when you're sick and the cloves have a kind of menthol effect that clears your nose a little. That and they make it taste class!! :D

I recommend Bushmills Black bush if you can get it!!

Advertisement