Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Whiskeys- do they really help with a headcold?

Options
  • 04-01-2013 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

I have had a cold for over a week now. I have tried everything... Vit C, healthy diet, Paracetamol, garlic, Strepsils & Cough bottle.. but it's still lingering..

So what I want to know do Hot whiskeys actually help at all??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Hot whiskeys help the throat but made the fever worse for me. Do not mix with antibiotics!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

whiskey-it makes you drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

They help you get pissed though, which is great for a cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

They do but you must go straight under the covers afterwards, drinking them in the pub and going outside afterwards is a waste of time.

edit; Please ignore above advice. Get taxi to pub, drink copious amount of hot ones, get taxi home. Tip taxidriver generously.

:)

Good job I'm not a spammer, I'd be sh1t at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Who cares.

Drinks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Hot whiskeys help the throat but made the fever worse for me. Do not mix with antibiotics!

there are only two types of antibiotics which actually react to alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

uberwolf wrote: »
    there are only two types of antibiotics which actually react to alcohol

Oh? Which are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

I had a terrible cold the last two weeks it took AAAAAAAGES to shift, a hot whiskey with honey and lemon really does soothe your throat though, not a lie :) Worked the trick better than other wives tales, and I only had the one so it wasn't drunkness numbing my perception :P

The only thing that got rid of it completely for me was going to bed with about ten hoodies, three pairs of pants and the radiator on. It feels like hell at the time, but wake up and straight into the shower the next morning and I swear you will feel like new, as weird as it sounds. Medicine etc didnt really do a whole lot for me, load of rubbish..

Oh, and echinachea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Oh? Which are they?

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/35320/35323/1363990.html?d=dmtHMSContent
    MediSite wrote:

Alcohol reliably causes trouble when mixed with only a handful of the hundreds of available antibiotics. In addition to metronidazole and its close relative tinidazole (Tindamax), you'll regret drinking while taking:

Furazolidone (Furoxone), an antibiotic used for intestinal infections
    Griseofulvin (Grisactin), an antifungal drug used to treat ringworm and other skin or nail infections
    Quinacrine (Atabrine), an older antibiotic used to treat malaria and giardia (an intestinal parasite)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,135 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You wouldn't be taking antibiotics for a cold anyway.

I think hot whiskey is good, also a Lemsip enthusiast :D I don't think a LOT of hot whiskey is any better than a small amount.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭Sertus

I'd take one over a lemsip anyday. They are great for morale, take your mind off the shivers, and are an excuse to relax beside a nice warm turf fire and watch a film. So yes indeed, a few well made hot whiskies almost makes colds worth having.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Yes one, two at most. Necking the bottle just makes you have a cold and a hangover next day. And as the above poster said, not in a pub - at home and straight to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Drinking in bed is the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Add some cloves, honey and a cinnamon stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

add a slice of lemon or orange for added cold fighting properties :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Honey, lemon, whiskey, grated ginger.

Honey is an antiseptic, lemon for the vitamin C, Whiskey to make you feel better and ginger is a cough suppressant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lucky_1

Hot Lemsip, adding honey then a good measure of Jameson into it does the trick, best when your wrapped up in bed wathing tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Where To wrote: »
    They do but you must go straight under the covers afterwards, drinking them in the pub and going outside afterwards is a waste of time.

edit; Please ignore above advice. Get taxi to pub, drink copious amount of hot ones, get taxi home. Tip taxidriver generously.

:)

Good job I'm not a spammer, I'd be sh1t at it.

Are you a taxi driver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Yeah, they're a mighty job. It'll sweat the cold out of you and you'll sleep like a baby after it.

That or a shot of brandy, honey and a raw egg. I know which one I'd rather.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Add some gloves, honey and a cinnamon stick.
    my hot whiskey cold remedy is as follows

take a mug

generous measure of powers
    two spoons of honey
    juice of half a lemon
    half slice of lemon studded with cloves

fill up with hot water (not fully boiling)

allow to stew for 5 mins, consume

now take a nurofen cold and flu tablet and a paracetemol washed down with a pint of water.

go straight to bed and remain there as long as possible

it works, FACT.*

*may not be fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Are you a taxi driver?
    No. I sell hot water geysers for making hot whiskeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Where To wrote: »
    No. I sell hot water geysers for making hot whiskeys.

Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

Was feeling lousy last night. Had a couple of hot whiskies last night, slept like a baby and felt far more rested and human this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Clarehobo wrote: »
    Was feeling lousy last night. Had a couple of hot whiskies last night, slept like a baby and felt far more rested and human this morning!

That's music to my ears.. I have mine sitting on the table in front of me.. Looking forward to it & it's healing properties :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

I remember i had a runny noise and was sneezing a bit. After taking two of hot whiskeys i felt much better and the sneezing stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

How about calling to see the doc, he might join you having a wee tipple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Add some gloves, honey and a cinnamon stick.

^^^^^^^
    I tried this and choked to death. Gloves ????

My lawyers will be in contact Sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Sertus wrote: »
    I'd take one over a lemsip anyday. They are great for morale, take your mind off the shivers, and are an excuse to relax beside a nice warm turf fire and watch a film. So yes indeed, a few well made hot whiskies almost makes colds worth having.

I take my hot whiskey WITH Lemsip instead of lemon :D

(well... the first one anyways)

But you wanna make sure you drink it while it's still proper hot, otherwise it's pretty manky

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭Sertus

TheUsual wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^
    I tried this and choked to death. Gloves ????

My lawyers will be in contact Sir.

Sure if you burnt your handies, you'd sue him as well, he can't win :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,135 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sertus wrote: »

I was thinking both rather than either/or :D

Advertisement