Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you achieve in 2012?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

P.s Ah yeah, thanks for this thread, its a lovely positive thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I finished the first year of my degree, which is something that for quite a while I didn't know I would ever be able to achieve with a baby in tow.

I got a full-time job for the summer and discovered that I am damn good at what I do.

I accepted myself for me and am finally comfortable with myself, my body and talking about my depression. I think that is one I am most proud of.

I also lost 2.5 stone.

So yeah, all in all 2012 has been a pretty good year. Bring on 2013, onwards and upwards. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I do actuarial exams and for me, one of the biggest things was passing an exam called CA1 first time. It's seen as a stepping stone between junior and senior student and can be notoriously difficult to pass. I put a huge amount of work into it and was delighted to get through it (only about 50% of people pass the exam). I also passed another exam later in the year.

I started a new job in 2012 and it has gone amazingly well. Much better than I would have hoped. A year on, I feel so lucky to have found this job and I am really succeeding in it. I am even being sent to Canada to teach them some of the things I've developed so I am delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sunshineboo

Lovely thread. Looking back I thought I had a pretty bad year but if I look a bit closer it was actually good in some ways.

I moved out of home and got myself an apartment, which was a big step.

I finally decided to go the doctor and it turns out I was very anemic now I'm not as tired and my hair is growing back yay! (shallow I know but cheered me up).

I finally know I'm worth more than 2am hook up's with my ex, I deserve better than that! slowly working on loving/liking myself before and if I have a relationship again.

Having a better relationship with my sister, it wasn't that we didn't get on but this year we have become closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

To echo some of the other posters here, I think it's so much easier sometimes to focus on what we haven't done, and the things we want to change, than relish in our successes! Feeling a little lost in a couple of aspects of my life, so this was a good positive exercise!
    I don't have a long list, but
    - I took up running at the end of 2011, and consistently keeping this going throughout 2012 has probably been by biggest achievement. I started to lose weight and get a bit fitter, but I think now I'm officially obsessed! I completed two half marathons, and a good few 5ks and am getting faster all the time. This new hobby has brought me a lot of joy!
    - Passed two notoriously difficult exams while keeping up a stressful and time consuming full time job, passing them both was a nice surprise.
    - Cut down my drinking a little
    - Supported a family member through a difficult time, don't know if I did this as well as I could have, but I did my best.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

2012 was a bit of a miserable year for me, but there definitely some positives:

- Passed my driving test
    - Got a job... that I didn't really like, but I was able to use it as a stepping stone to get into my new job which I started a few days ago
    - 2 publications
    - Learned to stand up for myself a bit more and use the 'no' word

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Broke up with someone I shouldn't have been seeing in the first place. Good

Met someone new who I thought wanted the same things as me....but didn't. Bad
    Still kinda pine after her to be honest.

Other than that it was a year of ups and downs..... a lot more downs from October onwards. I was never as disinterested in Christmas and New Year festivities before as I was this year.

here's hoping to 2013. It can't really be any worse than 2012. I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

I was unemployed at the beginning of 2012 so I decided I wasn't gonna let it get me down too much & make the most of my 'free time' since I had no idea how long it would last.
    So I
    -took driving lessons and passed my test first time, no idea how I survived without my licence til now:)
    -took up running and got fit. Aimed to be able to run 10k, which I did, and then went beyond. Ran in a few 5k and 10k races. Got a bit of an injury but hopefully ready to get back to it now.
    -Did some voluntary work
    -Finally got a new job

I have plenty of resolutions for 2013 so hopefully I can achieve lots in the new year.

Advertisement