Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I a doormat?

Options
  • 04-01-2013 3:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

I look after my elderly father. I babysit my friends pets. I help my friends whenever they ask. But as soon as I need a bit of help - am dropped on from a big height. And then the cycle starts all over again. I never complain but still nobody ever seems to want to help me.

Should I go postal on their collective behinds or stick to character and bend over and just take it?

Come on AH - load both barrels and let rip........need some laughs to cheer me up :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Have you ever lay in front of a door for people to walk on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

You seem lovely :)

Maybe have a word with your friends, or try to be there for them in future, but not as much as you are now. If they say jump, don't say how high.

I'm sure they all appreciate it and realise they are taking advantage a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

your father is your father
    f*ck the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

You look after your friends pets so your friends should look after your elderly father.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Have you ever lay in front of a door for people to walk on?

Have possibly paid for someone to do that.......

.......joking of course :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

FanadMan wrote: »
    I look after my elderly father. I babysit my friends pets. I help my friends whenever they ask. But as soon as I need a bit of help - am dropped on from a big height. And then the cycle starts all over again. I never complain but still nobody ever seems to want to help me.

Should I go postal on their collective behinds or stick to character and bend over and just take it?

Come on AH - load both barrels and let rip........need some laughs to cheer me up :D

Here's your problem right here. Stop asking the seagulls for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Difference Engine

You sound like a nice guy, you're just not assertive. If it doesnt suit you to help someone out just say you can't. Don't justify or explain it just say no.

When you want help, say it straight out. Tell them I need this or I want that. They have no problem saying it to you.

Read a book on being assertive, there's loads out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Your father took care of you, and you now take care of him.

You take care of animals, but when you ask their owners for help, they ignore you? You should look for new friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Stop helping people, bar your father.

When they ask why tell them you felt like they weren't there for you and you needed time to focus on your self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Get a life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Time to find new friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I treat others like I expected to be treated myself. Quite often that means doing more for people than they would for me but i'm not bothered. If people think I'm a doormat so what? Fuvk them, do whatever you wanna do for people because you want to, what anyone else thinks is irrelevant.

Where To wrote: »
    I treat others like I expected to be treated myself. Quite often that means doing more for people than they would for me but i'm not bothered. If people think I'm a doormat so what? Fuvk them, do whatever you wanna do for people because you want to, what anyone else thinks is irrelevant.

Bit of a pain when you are depending on them and they let you down at the last minute like happened me a few hours ago....which has probably ruined a rare weekend away for me.

Sad thing is that I alway treat others the way I would like to be treated - the only problem is those others treat me like the way they want to treat me...for whatever they can get and no worry about what I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Hey, I just met you
    and this is crazy
    give me your number
    and mind my baby.

Hey, I just met you
    and this is crazy
    give me your number
    and mind my baby.

Ok, when would suit you?

Oh damn it......not again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just as Jugger said: 'your father is is your father. Fuck the rest' - I agree so much.
    Your father raised and provided for you. You have to have loyalty to him. As for the rest? To quote Jugger again... fuck them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

There was a chap called FanadMan
    Who worked and toiled for every one,
    But when it came to time for pay
    Phuck off, the only words he heard them say.
    Next time they seek some help from you
    Tell them go paddle their own canoe. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I'm black, flexible, and travel a lot.

I'm a mudflap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Step 1) Make stew/casserole out of your friends' pets
    Step 2) Eat it together with your father
    Step 3) Profit!

OP, because of your troubles, all I can offer is the elusive step 2. Remember to slow cook the meat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Just learn to say no to your friends occasionally, they'll appreciate you more. You don't have to go from being a doormat to being a complete arse.

Look after your dad though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

Look after your father as others have said

As for the rest, sometimes rejection I good for the soul (in other words, tell them to politely fcuk off every now and again)

Next time the friend who just let you down comes looking for something, just tell them you haven't had any 'you time' in a while and you're too busy having some peace and quiet to help

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

policarp wrote: »
    There was a chap called FanadMan
    Who worked and toiled for every one,
    But when it came to time for pay
    Phuck off, the only words he heard them say.
    Next time they seek some help from you
    Tell them go paddle their own canoe. . .
    Good effort, but I reckon Seamus Heaney can sleep easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

You sound like a nice guy with **** friends TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

The problem is that when we're children we're told it's rude to say No. When we're teenagers we're told that it's anti-social and immature to say No. And these thoughts stick with us for many years when we're adults. The reality is, that it is perfectly fine to say No. You can turn things down or refuse to do things without being rude, anti-social and immature. And people will actually respect you more in the long run.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

As others have said, say no once in a while. When you do lots of things for people with no problem and no complaint, they begin to take you for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Tell your friends that it's not possible to look after your father and their pets and the other needs they have.

Therefore you can't look after their pets or other needs.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭FueledbyCoffee

I have the same problem - I find it hard to say No, feel like I'm letting people down. Am working on it though as I have been let down badly and also taken for granted many times in the past with me fuming but other people not even realising the way they are acting is out of order. I would stretch myself and go out of my way to accommodate them just to please.

Some people just take, take, take and sometimes you have to look out for yourself the same way as they do. Help by all means if it suits you but if it doesn't don't be afraid to say No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

jugger wrote: »
    your father is your father
    f*ck the rest
    Stop helping people, bar your father.
    Just as Jugger said: 'your father is is your father. Fuck the rest' - I agree so much.
    Your father raised and provided for you. You have to have loyalty to him.
    tritium wrote: »
    Look after your father as others have said

Unless your father is a cunt in which case fuck him too!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Am I a doormat?

No.

A sheep?...Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

A lot of people here are advising you to throw in the occasional "No." Wouldn't be too in a rush to do so myself.

All you've mentioned is that at times you feel they don't share any of the support with you, that you've helped provide them.

Nothing in the OP mentioned you were overwhelmed by the the help you have done for your friends. You just need to discuss with them how you feel on it at times when you need their help. If you can't feel you are able discuss this with them, you should be thinking more of what the relationship is about to you with these people without consideration of the favours you've done for them. Going from someone who is supportful, helpful and approachable, to someone who is an occasional shut out, is not the way to go about doing it. You will not address the issue with your friends by doing that, but merely ignore it.

Advertisement