Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RBS Six Nations 2013

Options

Comments

Grimebox wrote: »
    Youngs
    Ashton (over North)
    Parling

no chance

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd have both Youngs, Farrell and at least one of Parling/Launchbury. Hard to say with the centres as none of them have made much of an impression this year apart from Tuilagi once or twice and Fofana for 20 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

2smiggy wrote: »
    i'd put parling , brown , ben youngs or danny care in it. but you are right, very attractive odds on wales !

Ye i'd agree on the SH looking at it again but I think its a tight enough call between Parling and AWJ....

Ditto that Brown, he's in good form but still can't shake the feeling he is a FB filling it at wing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Youngs
    Ashton (over North)
    Parling

Why would you take the player who has missed the most tackles over the player who has beaten the most defenders from the 2 teams in this years 6N?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    How England are favourites is crazy especially given Wales are now back in form, all over Welsh win at 11/8!

The wonders of a good coaching staff and a coherent game plan!

I apologise in advance for the likely tedium of this game. At least I hope its tedious, if there's any excitement it's probably not going to be caused by us...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

This 6N Wales have been blown out in the first half by Ireland, had a nice game in Italy, and won 2 games which have been insults to rugby against Scotland and France. I wouldn't call them in form. I don't think England are doing as well as they could be either, but right now I think they're better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

matthew8 wrote: »
    This 6N Wales have been blown out in the first half by Ireland, had a nice game in Italy, and won 2 games which have been insults to rugby against Scotland and France. I wouldn't call them in form. I don't think England are doing as well as they could be either, but right now I think they're better.

Winning 3 games away from home in a row, I would call form. Especially when you contrast it with their Autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Winning 3 games away from home in a row, I would call form. Especially when you contrast it with their Autumn.

Although the France v Wales game is just about the worst game of test match rugby I have ever watched. My wish is that Wales score tries early, forcing England to do more than kick penalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Webbs wrote: »
    Why would you take the player who has missed the most tackles over the player who has beaten the most defenders from the 2 teams in this years 6N?

I obviously haven't been watching as closely as you guys. Ashton always seems solid yet electric at times. North hasn't impressed me much since he was dubbed the new Jonah Lomu. I'd rat Cuthbert ahead of North

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I obviously haven't been watching as closely as you guys. Ashton always seems solid yet electric at times. North hasn't impressed me much since he was dubbed the new Jonah Lomu. I'd rat Cuthbert ahead of North
    Ashton has been far from solid. I would've had him before I saw him playing this 6 Nations. He shouldn't be near the team right now.

• Advertisement

Ashton has been far from solid. I would've had him before I saw him playing this 6 Nations. He shouldn't be near the team right now.

Who would be your starting 11 & 14 for the Lions as things stand currently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Ashton (over North)
    Never.

He missed Fofana not once but twice for Fofana's try. First effort, fair enough, beaten. Second time around though, he had the gas to more than catch up with him and take him down. Instead he went for the tap tackle.
    Not the brightest decision making and in my books, wouldn't be reliable enough for the Lions, who have plenty of better choices to opt for.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Swiwi wrote: »
    Who would be your starting 11 & 14 for the Lions as things stand currently?

I really don't know. There are so many moving parts and good players. I'll have to think about it! But I wouldn't include Ashton in the top group of guys at the moment, so I can't see a justification for picking him.

I really don't know. There are so many moving parts and good players. I'll have to think about it! But I wouldn't include Ashton in the top group of guys at the moment, so I can't see a justification for picking him.

Do u think Maitland has a chance? I agree Ashton is out of form at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Not been a great 6 Nations for wingers, starting wingers this weekend:

North - Probable starter
    Cuthbert - Good
    Visser - Good poacher but not much else
    Maitland - Good but inexperienced
    Gilroy - Good but inexperienced
    Earls - Mostly a centre
    Ashton - Out of form
    Brown - A better FB

I think Bowe and Zebo still have a decent chance. Bowe in particular has a lot going for him if North was playing 11, he's a natural right winger, offers something different to North and has Lions experience (will be rare enough on this tour). Both really unlucky tho, if they had been playing this 6 Nations I'd say at least one of them would be certs at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Tox56 wrote: »

North - Probable starter
    Cuthbert - Good
    Earls - Mostly a centre
    Ashton - Out of form
    Brown - A better FB

I think Bowe and Zebo still have a decent chance. Bowe in particular has a lot going for him if North was playing 11, he's a natural right winger, offers something different to North and has Lions experience (will be rare enough on this tour). Both really unlucky tho, if they had been playing this 6 Nations I'd say at least one of them would be certs at this stage.

Ahem...

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Tox56 wrote: »

North - Probable starter
    Cuthbert - Good
    Earls - Mostly a centre
    Ashton - Out of form
    Brown - A better FB

Nuh uh!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I'm not saying I think he's a better centre than wing! Just saying that where he's played pretty much all season, and he will almost certainly go back there when he returns to Munster

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Do u think Maitland has a chance? I agree Ashton is out of form at the moment.

Not sure about him starting but I think he has a very good chance of touring.

Do u think Maitland has a chance?
    Absolutely. This guy is a great player. I've been watching him play since U18 level. Intelligent footballer for a young player and with plenty of pace too.

• Advertisement

JustinDee wrote: »
    Absolutely. This guy is a great player. I've been watching him play since U18 level. Intelligent footballer for a young player and with plenty of pace too.

I can't say I keep an eye on NZ U18s, let alone Irish U18s! Were you living in Australasia, or coaching at Junior levels? My only qualm with him touring is it makes a slight mockery of the Lions concept, in that he's not really Scottish in the traditional sense, but in a better backline than Scotland's I think he could go very well. I went with Halfpenny & Cuthbert as my wings, but I like Bowe when he's fit, and I would have Maitland ahead of Visser, Ashton, Brown etc. I guess Gilroy & Zebo are also in with a shot, but injury has reduced their exposure a bit, Zebo especially, so it might be more difficult. Gilroy needs a big game this weekend to keep him in Gatland's thinking I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

lologram wrote: »
    Ahem...
    awec wrote: »
    Nuh uh!

He is mostly a center

trouttrout wrote: »
    He is mostly a center
    Certainly not in the context of the Irish team where he is no centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Certainly not in the context of the Irish team where he is no centre.

He played consistently there for most of 2011

Fair enough if you don't think he's a good centre at international level, but he's more a centre than a winger in terms of games played over the last 2 years

I can't say I keep an eye on NZ U18s, let alone Irish U18s! Were you living in Australasia, or coaching at Junior levels?
    Not at the time. I lived for almost seven years in Australia until 2000 actually.
    Every underage representitive comp is looked at by each union to spot potential recruitable talent or just to keep an eye on opposition talent.

trouttrout wrote: »
    He played consistently there for most of 2011

Fair enough if you don't think he's a good centre at international level, but he's more a centre than a winger in terms of games played over the last 2 years
    I was speaking in terms of where he's good at playing. :) He's a great winger, but not so great as a centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

I was speaking in terms of where he's good at playing. :) He's a great winger, but not so great as a centre.

Exactly what I was saying too. I understand now that the point was where he spent most time at but we were talking about where he was good at. Or not so good as the case may be!

I agree with your analysis regarding limiting Farrell's penalty options.

I also agree that England should change their backs. Possibly two changes 12Trees for Barritt and anyone for Ashton. However I suspect they won't do this.

Personally I would make a change in the Welsh backs - Scott Williams for Roberts. This won't happen either.

I think Wales need to play a slightly bolder game. Our wingers could cause England all manner of problems. No need to chuck it about wily nilly but always look to get them involved rather than play too defensively. This may well come to pass. We've been very pragmatic these last three games. At home I do believe we'll put a bit more width on the ball.

As ever territory counts in these type of games. I suspect Bigger who is a very good kicker out of hand will target Ashton's wing (assuming he plays). Ashton makes mistakes - one mistake on Saturday could be the difference.

Well done mate! Wales were fantastic today, and worthy champions. Should see the Welsh contingent in the Lions be up. Your backrow was immense.

I personally believe the English back 3 have been tested and found wanting. If Wales can get any sort of decent attacking ball out wide I shall not be optimistic - thankfully it hasn't happened too much so far so fingers crossed. If Wales try to keep it tight, if they look for the crash runners and territory, I believe that will be good news for England.

If Wales stay calm, exert pressure in the set piece and can slow down the ball at the breakdown they are 90pc of the way to beating us.

While I agree the England back line needs rejigging, I wouldn't do it right now (outside the back three) - it's limitations and strengths are what we are used to, and we will need Barritt's defence and ruck clearing more than we will be able to make use of Twelvetrees attacking ability.

Looking forwards to it - big test of where we are.

Ouch! I feel your pain! Lancaster has got to rejig your backline, it's become so predictable. Dont think Marler is international quality either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Ouch! I feel your pain! Lancaster has got to rejig your backline, it's become so predictable. Dont think Marler is international quality either.

Not that peeved oddly enough - hopefully this will force the rejig. I can even live with the predictability, it's the stupidity and inability to to find team mates in better space that gets me. Leinster's forwards would arguably make a better backline than that!

As for Marler... semi-agreed. He's been ok until now and that was the sternest test - but he's never really excelled. Maybe he'll come good with time, but right now he's heading for "Good enough I guess" style 4th choice.

Advertisement