Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RBS Six Nations 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Winning the Triple Crown should have ceased being relevant once it became the 5 Nations but now that Italy are in, getting excited about winning 3 games out of 5 is laughable. I know there's the history behind it etc. but times have changed and the tournament has changed so it should be forgotten about.

I agree, it's a complete joke given that the Scots are as about as bad as they ever have been.

I'm putting us down for a 4th place finish, which is acceptable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

The problem with the triple crown is that it's not really an achievement. We know full well we can beat Wales, England and Scotland. Quite often none of them are that good. France is the real task and unless we can beat them we haven't really achieved anything. The triple crown brushes aside our inability to beat France while it really should be our focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

liammur wrote: »
    I agree, it's a complete joke given that the Scots are as about as bad as they ever have been.

I'm putting us down for a 4th place finish, which is acceptable enough.

Considering we've never finished lower than third in the history of the six nations. I would say 4th wouldn't be anywhere near acceptable, it would be a disaster

Fishooks13 wrote: »
    Considering we've never finished lower than third in the history of the six nations. I would say 4th wouldn't be anywhere near acceptable, it would be a disaster

We're on the way down, England are on the way up. France top dogs, then it's a toss of a coin between ourselves and Wales.

We're on the way down, England are on the way up. France top dogs, then it's a toss of a coin between ourselves and Wales.

Are we now?

• Advertisement

Are we now?

Well our H Cup teams are, both Munster and leinster in danger of not qualifying, if that's translated onto the international front, then we can safely assume we are on the way down. Morale will be low. Kidney won't be able to lift it. 3rd will be good, 4th acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Can we get a poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

a number of posts have been removed to keep things on track

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Well our H Cup teams are, both Munster and leinster in danger of not qualifying, if that's translated onto the international front, then we can safely assume we are on the way down. Morale will be low. Kidney won't be able to lift it. 3rd will be good, 4th acceptable.

Except for arguably the form team in Europe..

You've no idea what the morale in the camp will be like.

3rd will not be god, most people will see it as a failure.

4th will be an unmitigated disaster

Who do you think (apart from yourself) will find fourth "acceptable" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I think if we have learned anything from the past 5+ years its that Irish provinces performances in the HC have little impact on the Irish team.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Except for arguably the form team in Europe..

Ya this also. Not to mention that Munster have a very good chance of qualifying and the injuries that ravaged Leinster's season to date are coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Anyone confident of a grandslam can get 12/1 with Betfred. Very tempting price. For what it's worth I think we will beat Wales, England (though it will be close), Scotland and Italy so really it's 12/1 for Ireland to beat France in Dublin :-)

Anyone confident of a grandslam can get 12/1 with Betfred. Very tempting price. For what it's worth I think we will beat Wales, England (though it will be close), Scotland and Italy so really it's 12/1 for Ireland to beat France in Dublin :-)

Took a bit of that alright. Also had a bit of a nibble at France for the slam at 6/1

Don't think there'll be a slam but a nice bit of value in both I think

You've no idea what the morale in the camp will be like.

3rd will not be god, most people will see it as a failure.

4th will be an unmitigated disaster

Who do you think (apart from yourself) will find fourth "acceptable" ?

Most knowledgeable fans will. Now I know there are a certain brigade that will be expecting far higher, like the fans that thought we'd do well in Euro2012, when in fact I told them scoring a goal would be more realistic.

Took a bit of that alright. Also had a bit of a nibble at France for the slam at 6/1

Don't think there'll be a slam but a nice bit of value in both I think

Definitely value in both of those.

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    I think if we have learned anything from the past 5+ years its that Irish provinces performances in the HC have little impact on the Irish team.

In a way you are right, but France is the bogey team for us, always has been. So over the last number of years, we've done well apart from those matches.

[QUOTE=liammur;82493715]Most knowledgeable fans will. Now I know there are a certain brigade that will be expecting far higher, like the fans that thought we'd do well in Euro2012, when in fact I told them scoring a goal would be more realistic.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

So most "knowledgeable" fans will find Ireland's worst ever performance in the history of the six nations "acceptable"?

I sincerely doubt you even believe that to be true

:rolleyes:

So most "knowledgeable" fans will find Ireland's worst ever performance in the history of the six nations "acceptable"?

I sincerely doubt you even believe that to be true

I honestly can't see us loosing to Wales, Scotland or Italy. Given we have England and France at home, finishing 4th would be very very disappointing to say the very least.

I honestly can't see us loosing to Wales, Scotland or Italy. Given we have England and France at home, finishing 4th would be very very disappointing to say the very least.

You must not be very knowledgeable so Mike :D

• Advertisement

Haha, guess not. It is cricket we are talking about right :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Most knowledgeable fans will. Now I know there are a certain brigade that will be expecting far higher, like the fans that thought we'd do well in Euro2012, when in fact I told them scoring a goal would be more realistic.

So you're saying that it's not a disaster if Ireland fail to beat France, England and Wales?

Maybe speak for yourself, Mike is more than entitled to his opinion.

So you're saying that it's not a disaster if Ireland fail to beat France, England and Wales?

Certainly not a disaster. Disappointing yes. But I'd have it at 50-50 that we'll lose to those 3.

Certainly not a disaster. Disappointing yes. But I'd have it at 50-50 that we'll lose to those 3.

But I thought you said the Welsh game itself was a coin flip? Would that not give us more than a 50/50 chance of not losing all three? Unless of course you're not giving us any chance against England or France?

But I thought you said the Welsh game itself was a coin flip? Would that not give us more than a 50/50 chance of not losing all three? Unless of course you're not giving us any chance against England or France?

You see we can't really be sure about Wales, they might be dreadful, or good. If they are good they'll beat us. France will be favourites, and we'll be narrow favourites with the bookies V England, but I'd go with England.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

It might not be surprising to some of our fans if we finish 4th but I certainly do not think any of those fans would accept 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Difference is that ireland were never within an asses roar of beating spain or italy.

On the rugby pitch we are more than capable of beating any one of the other 5 teams - having beaten them year in year out (france excepted) then i cannot see how anyone would be happy or content with 4th.

I'm not saying we'll take the slam but you'd have to back us to win at least 3 if not 4 of our games.

Check what the bookies are offering - as they say around our way "you never see a bookie driving a bad car"...

For what it's worth i was going to back ireland to score no goals in the euro 2012!!

We're going to beat one of France, Wales and France. And we'll probably beat Wales and England.

But if we do lose to all three it would be an unmitigated disaster, no point even trying to deny that

• Advertisement

The big game for us is the first. A good performance against Wales in Cardiff and it sets us up nicely for England at home and a great run at the championship. And for what it's worth (not much I know) I do think we are too strong for Wales at the moment.

Advertisement