Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have babies got more complicated?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

porridge is a wonder, that I know, but that is the first time I have heard of that.. I know it helps adults with skin disorder though so perhaps it is the same with babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I had my first child 29 years ago and it was definitely different than today, about 3 years ago I was talking to a couple who were having their first baby and they were telling me they had paid a thousand euros for the buggy, I nearly fell over from shock I could not conceive how anyone could pay that much for a buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Alice1

This was recommended for my daughter's eczema - super for babies too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

In my teens in the 70's I had heard of making your own face mask with porridge oats, and also face scrub. Wondrous!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

mariaalice wrote: »
    I had my first child 29 years ago and it was definitely different than today, about 3 years ago I was talking to a couple who were having their first baby and they were telling me they had paid a thousand euros for the buggy, I nearly fell over from shock I could not conceive how anyone could pay that much for a buggy.

The buggy for my first cost about 80 quid in 1997. Fast forward to 2009 when my son was born and we went into Mothercare and looked for a buggy only to be told they were now called "travel systems". We ended up getting one that was - thankfully - on sale 50% off. It cost just shy of 400 euros which we thought was mental but to think people spend 700+ on prams!!!!!!

My first car cost less than that. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yes the travel "system" thing makes me really mad :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

1000 euro! Is it gold plated or something? Mine was brand new, a fancy 3-wheeler lie-flat one with snuggly covers and it was about 200.

Travel systems are a scam alright. Thanks be to goodness my grandmother got me that buggy or I might have fallen for the speil telling me I needed one.You want a monstrous car to store all the bits as well... I think they might be in cahoots with the mammy-wagon industry. Huge 4x4's or station wagons rolling around with 1 child in them.

The wipe warmer made me laugh... A friend of mine has one of those, I had forgotten all about that. She was miffed when she went to use my changing area one day (not a dedicated changing table either, oh my!), how could I possibly wipe my childs bum with a non-pre-heated wipe. hehe. I couldn't bring myself to mention I didn't have a plug-in electric bottle warmer either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

• Registered Users Posts: 28,125 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yup, a load of useless products.

EXCEPT the reins - or leash as she calls it. I don't see the problem on a child up to about 3 - 4. My kids had them. I can even remember wearing one, and it didn't warp me (well except for this preference ... never mind)

Much better to put on reins and let the child move about than hauling them by the hand without ever letting go. And if the child wants to hold hands, and sometimes they do, no problem.

I much prefer them to the twisty plastic wrist to wrist things that you see - at least with reins if the child trips you can generally save a serious tumble.

If this were a fashionable forum I would now be berated from a height!!

Yep, we had reins too. But then, one of ours was a runner! Couldn't keep up with him, especially when I was 9 months gone with our second. If I hadn't had the reins God knows where he'd be now! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think my lad is gonna need the reins. A right fidget he is so god help me when he starts crawling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I'll be relying on hand-me-downs from my sister when I have my own kids.............actually now I think about not much has changed in 25 years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

From the useless list...The Baby Keeper! Wont this do the same job :D

bad-parenting-baby-taped-wall.jpg

The baby in the bucket thingy..how do you get the baby out? :confused:

Pull him up by the ears??? Or literally throw the baby out with the bath water?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

amdublin wrote: »
    Top 10 useless products for babies
    My brother and his wife swear by the bucket bath, but we borrowed theirs and we found it quite difficult. The baby is sitting in the bath. Therefore it's next to impossible to properly get in to clean the undercarriage without lifting her up, negating the "hands free" sales point of the bath.
    Also, it's supposed to work flawlessy and allow you to leave a 6 week old sitting in the bath without using your hands, but unfortunately 6 week olds don't seem to understand that and try to drown themselves at every opportunity.
    Chucken wrote: »
    Prevention is not better than the cure it seems.

We used to slatther it on bums at every change but now you wait until baby gets nappy rash...which of course he shouldnt cos of all the water and cotton wool ;)
    Yeah, we took a parenting course with a very experienced midwife and that was the advice. Clean water, cotton wool, bingo-bango the baby's bottom will be fine. "Don't use sudocrem, the baby's bottom will just get very sensitive". Of course after two weeks of trying to clean up monster nappies using just water and cotton wool, and no ointment afterwards, the result was serious nappy rash for us.
    The MIL prescribed using baby lotion instead of water and slathering on the sudocrem and lo and behold we now have a lovely baby bottom with no soreness or rashes.

Other advice like "just one wipe on her lady parts is all she needs, you don't want to irritate it". Really? So when the poo has gone right up the front and the back three times a day I'm supposed to try catch it all in one go?
    Can someone tell me why baby cant have a nice bath every night?
    Dries out the skin. I think frequent bathing has been linked with eczema, but I never heard once a week. We were told every second day if it's necessary.

For some reason there seems to be this huge gulf between clinical recommendations and the reality. Clinically you can say that babies don't sweat much and have sensitive skin therefore less baths are better, but in reality the baby has been puking and crapping all over itself for the past seven days. I wish it was just sweat!

....The baby in the bucket thingy..how do you get the baby out? :confused:....
    I think they mean you to drain the babby off. A bit like draining the spuds! :D

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I think they mean you to drain the babby off. A bit like draining the spuds! :D

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Alice1

Those freaky disembodied hands - janey, they are giving me the creeps.

The one thing I do love though is the modern baby monitor. Having experienced cot death in our family, it was something I was totally terrified about. The movement sensor baby monitor that bleeps if the breathing stops for 20 seconds is the best invention ever.[/QUOTE]

Can we skip back to this?

Im curious about it. Lets suppose the alarm goes off, what do you do then?
    I suppose Im more aware of things that can go wrong now than I was was with my own kids. I think I raised them in a daze :D

Maybe just picking the baby up would wake it enough to start breathing again, or at least you could try cpr http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Accidents-and-first-aid/Pages/CPR.aspx bottom of the page. Its a good question though.

Ya, I was just thinking, how many people would go into cpr mode on a baby?

I was talking to a friend of mine who is in the red cross about this over Christmas. He's going to organise something for new/not so new parents, to teach basic first aid.

I think there has been 12 babies born in the town since September-ish. Quite a few for a small town. It'll be fun when they're all teenagers ;)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The monitor picks up lack of breathing for 20 secs. I know a woman that happened to from my antenatal classes. Luckily she was still in the hospital when it happened, and she noticed right away but if she had been asleep *shudder*

It went off once on us but it was the cable not fully in. Its also if the baby gets lifted out of the cot, which caught us on the hop a few times.

I just found that I have peace of mind to sleep - otherwise I'd be thinking that I didnt hear him snuffle in the last 15 mins and dash over to the cot to see if he is breathing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Can we skip back to this?

Im curious about it. Lets suppose the alarm goes off, what do you do then?
    I suppose Im more aware of things that can go wrong now than I was was with my own kids. I think I raised them in a daze :D

What to do? Pick them up quickly. We had two alarms with ours. The first one, I think she just went into a really deep sleep and didn't take a breath for a while. Picking her up woke her up. The other was when she had gotten stuck over in the bars of the cot, out of range of the pad. There are loads of things that could happen... Flip over onto a wet drooly patch of sheet and not be able to breathe. Get a blanket wrapped around the neck. Spit up and inhale it. I hate thinking about this stuff.

I did a baby first aid course when I was pregnant... Things like if they are choking lie them face down over your knees and tap them on the back to dislodge stuff.

My youngest was in a supermarket with me when she was about 2 or 3, and for some reason was given a largish marshmallow sweet. She promptly inhaled it and it stuck in her throat and she could not breath.

Pretty well automatically I grabbed her, held her up by her ankles and slapped between her shoulder blades, at which point it popped out. It was all so fast I didn't even think about it. So there I am in the supermarket holding my child up by the ankles :D

Since then I have heard about the Heinrich maneuver!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Actually Looksee you did the right thing the Heimlich manouvre is no good for little ones. And you know you did right as it worked. :)

Oh I didn't know that Rubecula, thanks!

Advertisement