Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

131 Reg Cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

Saw my 1st one @ lunch time a silver Golf: 131 LH 3x. As it's short it was tidy enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Brand new but still ancient. Nice shiny new Defender.

2E2D547D-E710-4FDA-B5CA-6631E8296CA5-20286-00000F6D625A1FC0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

That has to be a demo, nobody is crazy enough to do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,181 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What is the craic with both examples so far being I instead of 1 being used for the 131 and also the following digits within the plate? They might save 3% on ink charges per plate, are things are that bad in the trade :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I'm not really sold on the new numbering scheme... I would prefer just the last two digits on the car reg plate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cocobear

The new system sickens me!
    The old system in use since 1987 was excellent
    What feckin overpaid cosy fool approved this?
    And do the motor trade think after lobbying for this and getting their own way that it will actually improve sales???????
    The stark reality is the vast majority of people have no money to purchase new vehicles, end of story

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Anyone else not bothered by what the reg looks like?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Bodhran

What is the craic with both examples so far being I instead of 1 being used for the 131 and also the following digits within the plate? They might save 3% on ink charges per plate, are things are that bad in the trade :D

I don't think there is any difference between the digit "1" and the letter "I" in that particular font.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

234671.jpg

<sarcasm> Cork's Lord Mayor's car, I'm sure he/ she is worth it.</sarcasm>

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

attachment.php?attachmentid=234671&stc=1&d=1357152479

<sarcasm> Cork's Lord Mayor's car, I'm sure he/ she is worth it.</sarcasm>

Isn't that a sponsored car for advertising purposes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Yes, he gets the use of the car free from Ford.

We just pay him more than the Spanish PM (not a great benchmark admittedly), but since this is the motor's forum I'll leave that one for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

One state car for a country the size of cork is alright in fairness.

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ford have been giving The Lord Mayor a free car since the 80s.

That's a powershift tdci in case anyone fancies buying it next year.

Registration 89C1
    Make FORD
    Model GRANADA
    Description 2.8I GHIA
    Fuel Type PETROL

Registration 90C1
    Make FORD
    Model GRANADA
    Description Not Available
    Fuel Type PETROL

Registration 91C1
    Make FORD
    Model GRANADA
    Description 2.0I GHIA
    Fuel Type PETROL

Registration 92C1
    Make FORD
    Model GRANADA
    Description 2.0I GHIA X
    Fuel Type PETROL

Registration 93C1
    Make FORD
    Model GRANADA
    Description SCORPIO 2.0I
    Fuel Type PETROL

Registration 94C1
    Make FORD
    Model GRANADA
    Description 2.0I SCORPIO
    Fuel Type PETROL

Registration 95C1
    Make FORD
    Model SCORPIO
    Description GHIA 2.0 16V A/T
    Fuel Type PETROL

Registration 96C1
    Make FORD
    Model SCORPIO
    Description GHIA 2.0 16V A/T
    Fuel Type PETROL

Registration 97C1
    Make FORD
    Model SCORPIO
    Description GHIA X 2.3 AUTO
    Fuel Type PETROL

Registration 98C1
    Make FORD
    Model SCORPIO
    Description GHIA X 2.3 AUTO
    Fuel Type PETROL

Registration 99C1
    Make FORD
    Model SCORPIO
    Description ULTIMA 2.3 AUTO
    Fuel Type PETROL

Registration 00C1
    Make FORD
    Model SCORPIO
    Description GHIA X 2.3
    Fuel Type PETROL

Registration 01C1
    Make FORD
    Model MONDEO
    Description GHIA 2.0
    Fuel Type PETROL

Registration 02C1
    Make FORD
    Model MONDEO
    Description 2.0I EXECUTIVE 4DR A
    Fuel Type PETROL

Registration 03C1
    Make FORD
    Model MONDEO
    Description 2.0I EXECUTIVE 4DR A
    Fuel Type PETROL

Registration 04C1
    Make FORD
    Model MONDEO
    Description GHIA 4DR
    Fuel Type PETROL

Registration 05C1
    Make FORD
    Model MONDEO
    Description 2.2 TITANIUM 4DR
    Fuel Type DIESEL

Registration 06C1
    Make FORD
    Model MONDEO
    Description TITANIUM 2.2TDCI 155PS
    Fuel Type DIESEL

Registration 07C1
    Make FORD
    Model MONDEO
    Description TITANIUM 2.2TDCI 155PS
    Fuel Type DIESEL

08C1
    Make FORD
    Model MONDEO
    Description NT TITANIUMX AUTO TITANIUM X 2.0 TDI
    Fuel Type DIESEL

09C1
    Make FORD
    Model MONDEO
    Description NT GHIA 2.0 TDCI 6SPEED 140PS 6 SPEED
    Fuel Type DIESEL

10C1
    Make FORD
    Model MONDEO
    Description TITANIUM 2.0 TDCI 140PS 6SPEED 4DR
    Fuel Type DIESEL

11C1
    Make FORD
    Model MONDEO
    Description MCA TITANIUM 2.0 TDC 140PS 4DR
    Fuel Type DIESEL

12C1
    Make FORD
    Model MONDEO
    Description MCA TITANIUM 2.0 TDC 140PS 4DR
    Fuel Type DIESEL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Heres two fingers to superstition!
    131KY13_zps4f7b6b10.jpg

If you had a crash in this you would definatly wonder!

Heres two fingers to superstition!
    131KY13_zps4f7b6b10.jpg

If you had a crash in this you would definatly wonder!

There was no 12 KY 13, in fact I think they skipped 13 on all plates since they brought in the starting at 1 instead of 201 thing

Show plate sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There was no 12 KY 13, in fact I think they skipped 13 on all plates since they brought in the starting at 1 instead of 201 thing

Show plate sadly

Interesting, and you are right about previous years. There will be an article in the paper about this tomorro, ill report back!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Show plate sadly

Must be a change of policy - that's a genuine reg according to motortax.ie

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I saw 131 D 88 on a BMW 3 series this morning. I was thinking why the hell would anyone pay a grand for 88. Then I noticed the driver was Chinese and I remembered from my time in Australia that the local Chinese population coveted certain lucky numbers. Maybe they should auction certain numbers rather than the flat 1,000 fee.

From Wikipedia:

Eight
    The word for "eight" (八 Pinyin: bā) sounds similar to the word which means "prosper" or "wealth" (發 – short for "發財", Pinyin: fā). In regional dialects the words for "eight" and "fortune" are also similar, e.g. Cantonese "baat3" and "faat3".
    There is also a visual resemblance between two digits, "88", and 囍, the "shuāng xĭ" ("double joy"), a popular decorative design composed of two stylized characters 喜 ("xĭ" meaning "joy" or "happiness").
    The number 8 is viewed as such an auspicious number that even being assigned a number with several eights is considered very lucky.
    A telephone number with all digits being eights was sold for USD$270,723 in Chengdu, China.
    The opening ceremony of the Summer Olympics in Beijing began on 8/8/08 at 8 seconds and 8 minutes past 8 pm local time (UTC+08).[2]
    A man in Hangzhou offered to sell his license plate reading A88888 for RMB 1.12 million (roughly USD164,000).[2]
    The Petronas Twin Towers in Malaysia each have 88 Floors.
    The minivan that GM makes for the Chinese market is called the Buick GL8, but the minivans it sold in other countries didn't have that name.
    The Air Canada route from Shanghai to Toronto is Flight AC88.
    The KLM route from Hong Kong to Amsterdam is Flight KL888.
    The United Airlines route from Beijing to San Francisco is Flight UA888, and the route from Beijing to Newark is Flight UA88.
    The Air Astana route from Beijing to Almaty is Flight KC888.
    One of Cathay Pacific's flight numbers from Hong Kong to Vancouver and New York is CX888.
    Singapore Airlines reserves flight numbers beginning with the number 8 to routes in China and Korea.
    In Singapore, a breeder of rare Dragon fish (Asian Arowana) (which are "lucky fish" and being a rare species, are required to be microchipped), makes sure to use numbers with plenty of eights in their microchip tag numbers, and appears to reserve particular numbers especially rich in eights and sixes (e.g. 702088880006688) for particularly valuable specimens.[3][4]
    As part of grand opening promotions, a Commerce Bank branch in New York's Chinatown raffled off safety deposit box No. 888.
    An "auspicious" numbering system was adopted by the developers of 39 Conduit Road Hong Kong, where the top floor was "88" – Chinese for double fortune. It is already common in Hong Kong for ~4th floors not to exist; there is no requirement by the Buildings Department for numbering other than that it being "made in a logical order."[5] A total of 43 intermediate floor numbers are omitted from 39 Conduit Road: those missing include 14, 24, 34, 54, 64, all floors between 40 and 49; the floor number which follows 68 is 88.[5]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I saw 131 D 88 on a BMW 3 series this morning. I was thinking why the hell would anyone pay a grand for 88. Then I noticed the driver was Chinese and I remembered from my time in Australia that the local Chinese population coveted certain lucky numbers. Maybe they should auction certain numbers rather than the flat 1,000 fee.

[/I]

Are they still charging for that? See 131 KE 16 out here.

furtzy wrote: »
    Are they still charging for that? See 131 KE 16 out here.

They certainly are: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/reserve-reg-number.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Quick, everyone run out and buy a new car...
    Concern has been expressed about the number of older cars on Irish roads.

More than half of all cars on the road are now at least eight years old and are more likely to suffer mechanical problems

Road safety chiefs are reminding motorists to service and maintain their vehicles regularly.
    From here

The last line in that is about the only bit that makes sense. My 06 is hardly "old" and has been serviced at a dealer on-time from day 1 and is still going strong with over 230,000 km on the clock with nothing really having gone wrong that wouldn't be considered wear and tear with that sort of mileage or a fact of life with a modern diesel (DMF, injector recall etc)

Maybe the new 131 reg's aren't moving as quickly as they hoped?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Just spotted my first one on the road 131-LK-XX

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Bigcheeze wrote: »

From Wikipedia:
    And hence why sales of the Alfa 164 failed miserably in Hong Kong, literally translated in Cantonese it meant Road to Death.
    The later versions incorporated an 8 in the name:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

recyclebin wrote: »
    Has JJ Kavanagh given up buying new buses with the number 1 reg?

I think he's only buying the first plate for counties that he operates that have a chance if winning the all ireland ie. Kilkenny, Tipperary. Or he's saving the extra cash, a grand in the hand is better than a grand in the exchequer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Actually scrap that last post. Seems JJ is saving his money this year

131TS1 is a Kia Sportage
    131KK1 is a Toyota Avensis
    131CW1 is a Toyota Avensis
    131KE1 is a Skoda Octavia

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Saw my first one today, a Volvo S40(I think) in Wexford. Like last year they seem to be starting at 1 rather than 200 like they used s I dint know if paying the grand is still an option

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Saw 131-OY-5 (base spec Golf :rolleyes: ) earlier, the plates just look odd.

I sold a car with 6328 on it years ago, owner paid €350 or so extra. Downside was he had to wait 5 months for 6327 to be registered.

I sold a car with 6328 on it years ago, owner paid €350 or so extra. Downside was he had to wait 5 months for 6327 to be registered.

Not as sad as the people who pay to reserve 318 for their BMW.
    Look at me! I'm a contradiction of extravagance and frugality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

All this talk of paying to reserve numbers reminds me of my old man requesting a specific number back in 84. My mother owned UZG 33 and he got YZG 33. No extras, no charges, nothing. Our taxing masters obviously copped on. Which makes me wonder why I can't buy the reg DUBTONY or similar.

Surely there'd be people quite happy to spend a couple of grand to get a truly personalised reg. Even an annual fee could be introduced and a further charge to transfer the reg to a new car later on. I mean in these days of auster .... blah blah blah!

Advertisement