Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBR Challenge 2013 & Events list

Options
  • 31-12-2012 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

Hello All

Welcome to the SBR challenge 2013 and events list, just being eco friendly with sticky space!! As with the last few years its just a bit of craic but also a place to store your cardio kms for reference at the end of the year and against previous years and race performances. Its not just for the triathlete, its for anyone who swims and/or bikes and or/runs!

2013 Events
    Events list is here

What do I do with the challenge?
    Just copy this link to your browser or your google drive. Fill in as many columns of data as often as you like. Add some comments to the thread from time to time. Easy :)

What are the targets?
    Bronze targets: Swim 100km/Bike 2000km/Run 800km
    Silver targets: Swim 200km/Bike 4000km/Run 1600km
    Gold targets: 400km/Bike 8000km/Run 3000km

You don't need to change the font colour when you hit your target. That will happen automatically. Simple satisfaction of entering the data, hitting enter and the colour changing when it hits the target :)

How does the scoring work?
    A couple of things are taken into account.
    1. The number of targets you have and the colour of them is added up to a max of 15 points (3 golds). It ensures that some one with more of a lower target will always trump someone with fewer of a higher target which favours all rounders over the ones who race ahead in one discipline. For example 2 bronze (6 points) will rank above 1 gold (5 points) :)
    Bronze = 3 points
    Silver = 4 points
    Gold = 5 points

2. The sum of your S/B/R ranks. This is taken into account after the target points to separate those on equal points. If 2 people have 3 bronze (9 points), the one with a lower combined rank will be ranked higher overall :)

Happy training in 2013 folks and wishing you the best with all of your goals!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Cheers for doing this again shotgun, looking forward to it this year!

Now- more importantly!- it doesn't seem to be editable just yet? I have kilometers here, waiting to be logged!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Cheers for doing this again shotgun, looking forward to it this year!

Now- more importantly!- it doesn't seem to be editable just yet? I have kilometers here, waiting to be logged!:D
    Sorry. Open now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Sorry. Open now!

Cheers! Whoo-hoo first place (in a field of one)- can you close it again?;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Anyone doing the Naas Duathlon series, any good? Or Fingal. Which is better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Anyone doing the Naas Duathlon series, any good? Or Fingal. Which is better?
    The Sportsman series is the best...if u fancy a trip up to fundalk :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Just signed up the Naas duathlon series, my second year doing duathlons. Really enjoyed this series last year but only done 2 out of the 3 this year I,m aiming for 3 out of 3.

The Sportsman series is the best...if u fancy a trip up to fundalk :)

They're not on the list, are there dates for them yet?

Edit: found them and added them in, Sundays suit me better hmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Here is professional Thomas Gerlach s numbers for 2012

Swim 835km
    Bike 13,357km
    Run 2,251 Km

If doing the 2013 challenge he would not have hit the run gold :D

Full article available at

http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2012/12/professional-triathlete-training-log.html

Also i found an interesting article while searching for professional annual totals thats defo worth a read

http://robbwolf.com/2012/09/21/10-ways-ironman-triathletes-avoid-chronic-cardio-self-destruction/

Happy New Year all. Looking forward to it already. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Just added my name to the list. I took a picture of the table because it is the only time I will ever have the rank of 1 beside a discipline :). Fingers almost froze putting Sprint in as my category, no turning back now I guess!!

Best of luck to everyone and let the games commence!

Sorry Sean, but, you inspired me. ;)

edit: damn you Mike, I knew I should have done 12 miles :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Also i found an interesting article while searching for professional annual totals thats defo worth a read

http://robbwolf.com/2012/09/21/10-ways-ironman-triathletes-avoid-chronic-cardio-self-destruction/

Happy New Year all. Looking forward to it already. :)
    What a great read. Thank you bryangiggsy. Food for thought surely.
    Re applying the techniques to running he recommends 1 speed session, 1 hill session and 1 'longish run' per week. Totally agree with these principles.This is my third year doing triathlon and prior to this I was a runner! I ran 6/7 times per week and ran double the mileage. I have continued to improve running wise over the years (note -not majorly), have less injuries and attribute this to running smarter/efficiently. I run four times per week now. I do two hard sessions per week – speed and hills and only do so providing my resting heart rate is low. My long run is never any longer than 15 miles. When training for a marathon I increase the intensity doing more marathon paced miles. I do one brick session and this varies from 2 miles to 4 miles off bike.

Triathlon training sucks you in and I have been there in my first year thinking more more and MORE. Now my number one rule is to have a reason for each session I do and not just an excuse to log miles.

It is only natural to wish to improve and people vary in the way they assess this. Having a SBR challenge is an excellent motivator and keeps us focused but have the people who have performed the highest in the challengein 2012 achieved the best results/improvements in the year? Is there a correlation between injury/sickness and over doing the mileage?

OK that’s my rant over for the year!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Sorry Sean, but, you inspired me. ;)

edit: damn you Mike, I knew I should have done 12 miles :(

That didn't last long! Will have to get out again tomorrow ;)

In reply to Shell to Run, my only 2012 injury was caused by stupidity and I definitely turned the training up several gears in all sports. Thankfully I'd no overuse injuries and if I can do the same level of training this season with a little more planning and wisdom behind me, I hope to see my race results improving substantially.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Thanks M OS for running the 2012 challenge and for setting it up once again...I for one am delighted to be starting a fresh one ;) good luck to one and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 d.runs

Thanks mcos for running the challenge again. It's interesting to see what people are doing in the various disciplines and their race results.
    Also interesting articles on totals. Coming from a running background I find it hard to 'sacrifice' running milage in favour of cycling. My run race times have suffered but I'm definately less prone to injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

Have been a bit of a lurker here for a while, so hoping this might be a bit of an incentive to get me off my ass and out the door.
    Swimming should be grand, cycling less so and coming back from a running injury very slowly so my run totals will be pathetic for the next few months but hoping 2013 is the year of injury free running!

Some of you may have noticed me messing with the table today, sorry if I got in your way. The good news is that the challenge now ranks the overall rank automatically. One less manual thing for me to do:D. It does now mean the best possible score is -12! Basically it works by taking your target points away from your score. So the lower your SBR score and the more targets you have, the higher you rank overall:). Also introduced bronze, silver, and gold for the top 3 ranks in each discipline. 'This a 'tad geeky but hey ho who cares!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Hey Mike. I,m a first timer on this and unsure if I filled it out properly, can you send me a pm if I fecked up.cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Whats the story with Turbo with no speedo..think i read in the 2012 thread that it was agreed that 1hr turbo is equivilant to 30k cycle??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Is the event document currently under construction? GDrive tells me I have to request access.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 verbatim92

Like others have lurked on this, and A/R/T as it was before, for far too long! Finally I have said I will start logging my training in the SBR thread both for a record for myself and to keep my somewhat in check to continue training.

Started off triathlon last year doing a single sprint but a bit more focused this year with certain goals and races picked out! Swimming coming along nicely but restarting my running from zero after 3 months of injury and frustration after completing Charleville half in september.

• Advertisement

Starting to regret the dropping of the cycling...:rolleyes: Really looking forward to an hour on the turbo this weekend. It will be my first time sitting on the saddle in 14 weeks :eek:

BTW Folks, all of the columns to the right of the "SBR rank" are formatted to change colour as you hit targets. Could create even more for some to aim for. Silver turbo, Bronze OW...etc

Oh and targets for "other cardio"
    Bronze 50km
    Silver 100km
    Gold 150km

Trig1 wrote: »
    Whats the story with Turbo with no speedo..think i read in the 2012 thread that it was agreed that 1hr turbo is equivilant to 30k cycle??

Yeah, more or less. If you were doing a big gear session more like 20km, If you were doing 2*20 FTP more like 35km. 30km is safe enough average

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Top 3, woohoo. Now lock it down before the big boys come out to play :D

Jaysus Mike, looks like you're going to give me a run(pun intended) for my money. Yer luck I'm carrying a knock ;)

Jaysus Mike, looks like you're going to give me a run(pun intended) for my money. Yer luck I'm carrying a knock ;)

Just crapping it about a 50km in a few weeks! But apart from that, yes I've got your number this year :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

What do you define as other cardio mcos? Rowing?

Also what about a column for time spent doing strength/flexibility stuff?

*guess whose on a stength work fix at the moment :D

Oh and targets for "other cardio"
    Bronze 50km
    Silver 100km
    Gold 150km

Not fair. Some of us are still single.

Don't know how you do it though, thats a weird way to measure it. :confused:

Not fair. Some of us are still single.

Don't know how you do it though, thats a weird way to measure it. :confused:

LOL wear a HRM and award yourself 1km for every 10 mins above 120HR and 2km for every 30 secs above 190HR..... :D

Folks the 2013 Events link on the opening post is now open to all. Sorry, only realised after adding a dozen people separately that it was still private... oops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Folks the 2013 Events link on the opening post is now open to all. Sorry, only realised after adding a dozen people separately that it was still private... oops

Can you add the "3D Tri Fingal Sprint Tri" to Sunday 19th May, Abbotstown Dublin 15, and also the Childrens Aquathlon on the same morning. http://fingalsprint.3dtri.com/ & http://fingaljuniorsprint.3dtri.com/

Thanks Shotgun

Advertisement