Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optimistic or pessimistic

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

Im pessimistically an optimist if that makes sence :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

But then he'll offer to buy you a new beer, and that will be a full glass, and so you'll have gotten more beer than you paid for!
    Ah no Whoops, the glass is full to begin with, I just always expect someone to come along and tip it. I'm sort of a pessimistic optimist. I'm also lucky, and luck gets you a long way. Pessimism just keeps your feet on the ground.

Pottler wrote: »
    Ah no Whoops, the glass is full to begin with, I just always expect someone to come along and tip it. I'm sort of a pessimistic optimist. I'm also lucky, and luck gets you a long way. Pessimism just keeps your feet on the ground.

I'm not lucky - anything but lucky. I just don't concern myself with things that *might* happen!

I'm not lucky - anything but lucky. I just don't concern myself with things that *might* happen!
    I've an awful lot of "things that will probably happen" to worry about, I've no room on the list for mights.:) That probably equates to being a realist. Jasus, I thought the question was simple enough to begin with. This is getting complicated. It can't end well.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Pessimist

People always say to me 'thanks for being so optimistic' so definitely an optimist :-)

• Advertisement

Pottler wrote: »
    I've an awful lot of "things that will probably happen" to worry about, I've no room on the list for mights.:) That probably equates to being a realist. Jasus, I thought the question was simple enough to begin with. This is getting complicated. It can't end well.:D

Well if they're probably gonna happen anyway there's no point worrying about them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

To me, being optimistic is the only way to go through life because it gives you confidence which is essential to achieving goals in so many areas. People keep on saying if you're pessimistic you'll never be disappointed, but I just think that's an attitude that will only serve as an obstacle to achieving anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I've always been a pessimist unfortunately :(

matthew8 wrote: »
    To me, being optimistic is the only way to go through life because it gives you confidence which is essential to achieving goals in so many areas. People keep on saying if you're pessimistic you'll never be disappointed, but I just think that's an attitude that will only serve as an obstacle to achieving anything.
    If you're a driven pessimist, you'll get stuff done, but you're expecting the worst, so you get blindsided less. I've taken loads of risks that only an optimist would consider, but I've usually looked hard at the probable downside first, and weighed up the liklyhood of "what's the worst thing that might happen". If I can live with the "worst thing", then I assume it might happen, but i can cope with it. If that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The lyric "is it wrong not to always be glad?" sums up my attitude. I stay positive but I will always have a day when I indulge in a little despair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

I'd say I'm an optimistic pessimist though

Advertisement