Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optimistic or pessimistic

Options
  • 31-12-2012 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭

Do you consider yourself to be an optimistic or pessimistic person?

Optimistic or Pessimistic 44 votes

Optimistic sunny brain
    0% 0 votes
    Pessimistic rainy brain
    100% 44 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Pessimistic........there's no point in being an optimist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Optimistic generally. I tend to appreciate what I have rather than mull about what I dont have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'd like to be an optimist, but I'd be rubbish at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Realist. In that I know there is very little I can't accomplish as long as I don't have to depend on people I don't trust. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Realist, think things through and have low expectations, you dont get disappointed much then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

people tell me im pessimistic, i say im realistic

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'd like to think I'm an optimist but I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

obstinately optimistic; law of averages means this will somehow work out, someday...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I'm a real Pollyanna;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

definitely an optimist.

ive read The Secret dont ya know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

The poll is half full.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

I see myself as an optimistic pessimist :D in that I am quite a wary person and I will always approach everything with caution.

It drives my family in sane, I will always see the negative side to something, but I will also acknowledge the positive. I think I just like to see situations and things from all angles.

Am not a betting person, so I'm not really a risk taker - I like to approach with caution - I very rarely make rash decisions without having considered the pros and cons of a situation.

I think a lot of people may find that infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

If you expect the worst, you cant be disappointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Nihilistic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Quite ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

This thread disappoints.

Just like I knew it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Natural born pessimist. I think its the most appropriate stance to take, considering the fúcked up world we live in. But then again I would say that.

I find optimists to be fascinating though. People who expect tropical summers, who believe that politicians and parties have the public good at heart, people who think they may win the lotto soon. Its an amazing mental illness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Humans are naturally optimistic. That's why they survive awful situations.

Oh the poll is 50/50 - so optimism is winning \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I probably border on slightly pessimistic tbh :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

A realist in that I know what I am capable of.
    There are things we can change, things we can't and one just has to accept the things we can't and deal with things we can.

Between optimistic and pessimist, I would consider myself an optimist, running a farm you would need to be optimistic given you could go out and find an animal has broken a leg and has to be put down, it would put one's own mood down but you got to look at the bigger picture and live in hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Pessimist in the short term, but an overall optimist, if that makes sense. In that in the short term I can see things working out realistically, but overall, in the long run, there will be a positive outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

The older I get more and more pessimistic i become. One of my resolutions is to be more optimistic can't see it happening tbh

purplegeko wrote: »
    One of my resolutions is to be more optimistic can't see it happening tbh

:pac:
    good start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I'm an optimistic realist, I think. I know things aren't great now but I DO believe they WILL get better and your day to day life can still be enjoyed regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I'm a glass half full kind of person.
    Half a glass of piss and vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pangolin

USED to be a glass half empty person. Pessimists often get pleasant surprises when things don't turn out so bad after all.

That was before it dawned on me that a much bigger glass should have been used in the first place. Now I am a realist looking at a quarter-full glass. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Optimist - The glass is half full
    Pessimist - The glass is half empty
    Opportunist - Look, free water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Pessimist. The glass has beer in, and some fecker is bound to come along and jog my elbow if I'm not careful.

Laughed at the " gonna try and be more optimistic but I just can't see it happening" one. Classic, even if it was unintended.

• Advertisement

Pottler wrote: »
    Pessimist. The glass has beer in, and some fecker is bound to come along and jog my elbow if I'm not careful.

But then he'll offer to buy you a new beer, and that will be a full glass, and so you'll have gotten more beer than you paid for!

Advertisement