Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help getting into IT

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

MRTULES wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack but I am loving this discussion.
    I was planning on doing A+ and N+ myself. I tried A+ on line and used professor messer vids but struggled with it. It wasn't the content I was having trouble with( although some of it did seem a little out dated), more so the sitting through 3+ hours of videos at a time. I think I would be better off with a class room environment. My whole reason for doing these is to see which area of IT I am most interested in possibly pursuing a career in.
    What I am wondering is the following:

1, I do not know if I would be into networking or not so would doing the A+ and N+ give me enough insight into to make a decision?

2, would these also give me an idea of other areas and help me find out an area I might like.

3, Is there any other course people might suggest that would cover a broad range of topics?

Thanks in advance for any comments you have.

Download packet tracer or something similar. You can also find basic labs on line. Try setting up a few switches / router and see if its something you would like to do.

You can find labs online that will walk you through the process step by step

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 PatrickMc

MRTULES wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack but I am loving this discussion.
    I was planning on doing A+ and N+ myself. I tried A+ on line and used professor messer vids but struggled with it. It wasn't the content I was having trouble with( although some of it did seem a little out dated), more so the sitting through 3+ hours of videos at a time. I think I would be better off with a class room environment. My whole reason for doing these is to see which area of IT I am most interested in possibly pursuing a career in.
    What I am wondering is the following:

1, I do not know if I would be into networking or not so would doing the A+ and N+ give me enough insight into to make a decision?

2, would these also give me an idea of other areas and help me find out an area I might like.

3, Is there any other course people might suggest that would cover a broad range of topics?

Thanks in advance for any comments you have.

If your not sure what area of IT that would suit you, your best bet is do the A+, it covers all the broad basics from storage to networking. You will find out for sure what area you like or are maybe good at. Then carry on and train in that area. The A+ won't get you a job as that's not what it's really for, it just helps you find out what area in IT that will suit you.

The N+ is a waste of time. So for example if you decide after the A+ that Networking is for you then just carry on and do the ICND1 etc. Or if you are interested in the server side of things then do Micro Server etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Thanks for all the help and advice all.
    If anyone is interested, this is the course I'm looking at doing.
    main points are:

COMPTIA A+ ESSENTIALS 2009
    COMPTIA A+ PRACTICAL APPLICATION 2009
    COMPTIA NETWORK + 2012
    IN-COMPANY
    MTA - WINDOWS SERVER ADMINISTRATION FUNDAMENTALS

That fact that I will get a placement in a company is also a big plus because if my skills are up to scratch, I'm a pretty nice persone (even if I do say so myself :cool: ) and always get along well with people. Might just be the foot in the door I need.

Again thanks for all the advice

Advertisement