Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Knighted for riding a bike - should we have an Irish Honours system?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

As long as Brian 'Pigs Lips' Cowen doesn't get one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

we do already its called the presidents awards or gaisce awards i think, the brits should get rid of the honours system, its costing them a fortune and is very outdated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

we do already its called the presidents awards or gaisce awards
    Those are for school kids. All a load of bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

we do already its called the presidents awards or gaisce awards i think, the brits should get rid of the honours system, its costing them a fortune and is very outdated

Gaisce isn't for that purpose, it's for young people (mid teens to mid twenties). The British equivalent would be the Duke of Edinburgh's Award.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

I have not looked this up, but I remember reading before that to receive a foreign award such as a knighthood, especially IIRC from our nearest neighbour, one must seek permission from the Irish government, and may be requested to give up their Irish nationality. Same applies when receiving a foreign passport (not through extraction).

Personally I do not recognise any title such as sir/lord/duke/earl etc and I have met titled people before, using their name to address them as they do to address me. So IMO, NO, Ireland should not have such a system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

But we do. Don't the Calor Gas Housewife of the Year awards mean nothing to you people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Arise Sir JP McManus

Pride of Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Gaisce isn't for that purpose, it's for young people (mid teens to mid twenties). The British equivalent would be the Duke of Edinburgh's Award.

thanks for explaing that for me, i really thought they were some sort of national awards

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭_petulia_

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/20852564

He's now a "Sir" at the age of just 32!

Should we have a similar system in Ireland for honouring people?

He didn't just ride a bike OP, how very derogatory of you, he won the Tour de France and medals in several Olympics. If we had a system like Britain does I would be ashamed if we left him off the list.

Should we have something similar? We don't have a monarchy so it would be hard to. We honour our sportspeople as much as we can and they mean as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Not even a century old and we're already throwing out the republic?

Yes, I want to be King!! I only brought up our last King Rory O'Connor because I share his surname, I'm the rightful heir to the throne dammit!!:mad: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Yes, I want to be King!! I only brought up our last King Rory O'Connor because I share his surname, I'm the rightful heir to the throne dammit!!:mad: :pac:

Tbf, go back far enough and there's many, many people related to the man. That DNA thing can show up a whole nation of descendents :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Bradley Wiggins ends up going down the same route as Lance Armstrong in a few years time. Surely it's a very premature and potentially embarrassing mistake to Knight him so soon. Especially coming from a sport that is riddled with drug cheats.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

instead of publicly honoring people for goodness or greatness, can we have something like the raspberry movie awards, where people guilty of great or prolonged gobsh!tery are invited to the Aras and are awarded with a ceremonial kick up the arse?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Bradley Wiggins ends up going down the same route as Lance Armstrong in a few years time. Surely it's a very premature and potentially embarrassing mistake to Knight him so soon. Especially coming from a sport that is riddled with drug cheats.

ALL sport has drug cheats. That's not to say, infer, imply, allege that BW is in any way a cheat.

He's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

The Republic of Ireland was established on the basis that there would be no medals or titles, that all citizens would be equal. In a case where a citizen is offered an honour by another state (for instance, there are several Irish people who have been chosen for the equivalent of Legion d'Honneur for foreigners (I forget the name of it offhand; there are also Irish people who have been offered knighthoods etc by Britain), that citizen is required to request permission from the Cabinet.

Our equality was hard won. We should guard it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Man Knighted for riding a bike - should we have an Irish Honours system?

Well now, he can ride it fairly quickly, and he did beat the hell out of the Olympic competition, he's also a great ambassador for cycling, so why not make him a Knight? Bike sales are up 7% in the UK as a direct result of Bradley, Victoria, Sir Chris, Laur Trott etc on their bikes, so its a win win situation all round for British cycling (professional & amateur alike), and the knighthood is just the icing on the cake!

Can you imagine if Bradley had been Irish, God we'd be go for him, ala Katie Taylor. Bike sales would be up all over the country, the kids would be asking for the Bradley haircut, and people would be shouting for him to be honoured in some way (as Katie should be) IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Daniel O'Donnell was given an MBE.

Would be great craic if he became Sir Wee Daniel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

The Republic of Ireland was established on the basis that there would be no medals or titles, that all citizens would be equal. In a case where a citizen is offered an honour by another state (for instance, there are several Irish people who have been chosen for the equivalent of Legion d'Honneur for foreigners (I forget the name of it offhand; there are also Irish people who have been offered knighthoods etc by Britain), that citizen is required to request permission from the Cabinet.

Our equality was hard won. We should guard it.
    All citizens equal? That'll be the day. Not in this country. Like everything else only lip service is paid to it.

As for honours, yes it would be abused. All kinds of slimy politicians and their pals handing out honours to each other. But they made up for it by handing out massive pensions to themselves.

There is very little sense of civic pride in this country.

As for Wiggins, it's far too soon for him to be Sir Bradley. Cheapens the title if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

retalivity wrote: »
    Daniel O'Donnell was given an MBE.

Would be great craic if he became Sir Wee Daniel

He is a mad IRA head everyone knows that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

We have the freedom of the city award which is just as silly.

Load of bollocks, and you don't get anything in the city for free afterwards ...only grazing in the Phoenix Park.

• Advertisement
Advertisement