Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoIreland rewrite history to make it "Irish"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

MadsL wrote: »
    Little Willie

Get over it, dude. It's not a measurement of happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Get over it, dude. It's not a measurement of happiness.

Of course it is a measurement of a-penis.

The tank, the architype of big car, small dick syndrome.

Used to drive a Smart myself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Interesting. Cromwell said of Boyle's father, 1st Earl of Cork

'If there had been an Earl of Cork in every province it would have been impossible for the Irish to have raised a rebellion.'

Yet, you want to claim his son as a true Irishman.

Wow.

I don't want to claim him as anything. I'm simply pointing out that he's Irish. Just because one hates one's fellow countrymen, doesn't make one a foreigner.

Forgive my view of Irish Nationalism becoming jaded, but when I see a State Agency making up history, I tend to become a little cynical.

And inventing the tank? What. The. Holy. ****?

What's it got to do with nationalism. Both Irish and foreign people see Boyle as Irish. I don't see how you're having difficulty with this.

Einhard wrote: »
    I don't want to claim him as anything. I'm simply pointing out that he's Irish. Just because one hates one's fellow countrymen, doesn't make one a foreigner.
    Do you think he would have described himself as Irish? Another famous "irishman" Wellington had something to say on accidents of birth. Something about stables and horses, iirc.

What's it got to do with nationalism. Both Irish and foreign people see Boyle as Irish. I don't see how you're having difficulty with this.

I'm merely amused at the thought of the son of the Lord Treasurer, a great supporter of Cromwell and absentee landlord being lauded by a State Agency as an "Irish Inventor". No difficulty, just chuckling at the irony.

I notice you didn't give your view as to his nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

Wellington didn't actually say that though did he.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Why do ya actually give a flying fúck?

Xivilai wrote: »
    Wellington didn't actually say that though did he.

No. Hence the iirc. ;)

That was O'Connell denying any claim of his to Irishness. The irony continues.

I'm merely amused at the thought of the son of the Lord Treasurer, a great supporter of Cromwell and absentee landlord being lauded by a State Agency as an "Irish Inventor". No difficulty, just chuckling at the irony.

So now your claiming that a person's nationality should be based on the actions or opinions of that person's father?
    I notice you didn't give your view as to his nationality.

Whose? I think Boyle was Irish. Indeed, having been born in Ireland, I know Boyle was Irish.

SV wrote: »
    Why do ya actually give a flying fúck?

I'll carry on now, enlightened. Thanks for setting me straight. Glad you gave enough of a a flying fúck to stop me giving a flying fúck. Gosh. What it everybody gave a flying fúck? God forbid someone should actually question something they are told is true. Where would that actually lead? Anarchy, that's what. People looking up stuff in history and the like. Madness.

I'll carry on now, enlightened. Thanks for setting me straight. Glad you gave enough of a a flying fúck to stop me giving a flying fúck. Gosh. What it everybody gave a flying fúck? God forbid someone should actually question something they are told is true. Where would that actually lead? Anarchy, that's what. People looking up stuff in history and the like. Madness.

I asked why you gave a flying fúck, I didn't tell you stop.

Question away but seriously, the effort you appear to be putting into this...it's quite disconcerting.
    I see you're annoyed now, best of luck with that. Go get another can of coke out of the fridge there and throw another pizza into the oven, some people on the internet are WRONG and you don't have time to sleep.

• Advertisement

So now your claiming that a person's nationality should be based on the actions or opinions of that person's father?

Interesting. Does nationality have nothing to do with your father's nationality?
    Whose? I think Boyle was Irish. Indeed, having been born in Ireland, I know Boyle was Irish.

Really. What sovereignty did Ireland have in 1627 to grant him such nationality?

I asked why you gave a flying fúck, I didn't tell you stop.

Question away but seriously, the effort you appear to be putting into this...it's quite disconcerting.
    I see you're annoyed now, best of luck with that. Go get another can of coke out of the fridge there and throw another pizza into the oven, some people on the internet are WRONG and you don't have time to sleep.

Aren't you the one stopping by to tell me I'm wrong about how I spend my time? Wow. Well Done!

Aren't you the one stopping by to tell me I'm wrongabout how I spend my time? Wow. Well Done!

I didn't say you were wrong about it, I said it's disconcerting.

Odd how you have such a problem reading and yet are managing to debate this mad fake history craic.

best of luck old buddy old pal

xxxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Interesting. Does nationality have nothing to do with your father's nationality?

Nope. My father is Scottish. I am Irish. His Nationality has nothing to do with mine.

I didn't say you were wrong about it, I said it's disconcerting.

Be sure and dream about me...;) Nighty Night.

MadsL, this was fun but I think you're just in the mood for an argument so I'm bowing out!! adios!

syklops wrote: »
    Nope. My father is Scottish. I am Irish. His Nationality has nothing to do with mine.

So if you were born in Spain on holiday, would you describe yourself as Spanish?
    To help you, you might want to read the text of the 27th Amendment of the Constitution of Ireland.
    Notwithstanding any other provision of this Constitution, a person born in the island of Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, who does not have, at the time of the birth of that person, at least one parent who is an Irish citizen or entitled to be an Irish citizen is not entitled to Irish citizenship or nationality, unless provided for by law.

Clearly the majority of the Irish population consider parents' nationality to be very much to do with a child's nationality?

MadsL, this was fun but I think you're just in the mood for an argument so I'm bowing out!! adios!

Feel free. Others see Boyle as very much an Englishman. We clearly disagree.

Even if we allow Boyle, that's 7/10 inventions made up by GoIreland.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Kxiii wrote: »
    Born in Lismore Co. Waterford.

Waterford also gave the world the cream cracker.

and the rasher

Kxiii wrote: »
    Waterford also gave the world the cream cracker.

Oh, thanks for that... feckingtracksuitwearingjunkiethieving..oh, you mean..:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Feel free. Others see Boyle as very much an Englishman. We clearly disagree.

Thomas Edison is revered as a genius inventor who has apparently graced the world with a wealth of technological advancements that we simply couldn't do without in the 21st Century. I imagine that a significant majority of the American public would also happen to agree with this synopsis.

Digging a little deeper you will find that his accomplishments have been grossly overestimated (A point which I touched on in my previous sarcastic post - a post which you "thanked").

Would you consider this to be a State conspiracy in the US Education System which perpetuates the false notion that Edison was anything but a master American inventor? The basic crux of this entire thread is your belief that the Irish State is being deliberately and disgustingly facetious in their claims about supposed Irish inventors, isn't it?

That, and the whole topic of "Irish Identity" which you've decided to shoehorn into this thread. If you want to rant about this topic, create a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Oh, thanks for that... feckingtracksuitwearingjunkiethieving..oh, you mean..:o
    That was Wexford!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

I think the issue is that folk don't really know how to acknowledge that such scientific discoveries as can be linked to Ireland were typically made by people who would more likely have regarded themselves as British. An extreme example would be John Tyndall, who actively campaigned against Home Rule for Ireland as he thought that a Catholic dominated State would be an intellectual wasteland. In retrospect, a position that would be hard to refute.

Fr Callan, inventor of the induction coil (obviously not a contraceptive), is one of the very few Irish Catholic scientists of any note.

I don't see the point of the GoIreland thing. I don't see why it would excite interest in visiting here. What they could do is point to some of the science-related things in Ireland that a visitor might actually see if they came here, like:

The restored Birr Telescope - which has quite a good exhibition attached to it

The small science museum in NUI Maynooth - which has some of Fr Callan's equipment

The Straffan Steam museum - a real pity it's not in a more accessible location, as it's a real gem

Broom Bridge, where Sir William Rowan Hamilton carved the formula for quaternion multiplication that came to him in a flash of inspiration while walking there.

There's probably others; it might even be possible to come up with a magic ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ulster says no

Typical gathering type nonsense. Just a moneymaking racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Poster Boy

Uggh to think that's a State Agency, "GoIreland" that uses such a low-brow double-entendre slogan of "Get A Room"... I'm sure that'll attract ABC1 tourists from abroad :rolleyes:

The real pity about Irish tourism is what is marketed and the way it's marketed. Key highlights that used to very much attract tourists have been ditched over the last 20 years, and instead its about all about selling golf, cooking, and weekends away. To ourselves. In the meantime, our real treasures such as castles, abbeys, and other antiquities have been disregarded - not invested in, made inaccessible - or worse, been destroyed outright by the false Bertie Bubble.

The Christmas Guinness advert sums it up nicely - if unintentionally - where O'Connell's pub in Skyrne, Co. Meath is shown. This is a really picturesque country pub, where up until 5 years ago one could get the key for the old tower beside. Then one day the nice people from the OPW came along took away the key, and that was that - no longer can the tower be accessed. Regrettably this seems to have happened right across the country as tourist attractions / antiquities that used to be accessible have been gradually closed up. For a really good example of OPW preventing public access, I recommend visiting the Bloom Garden Festival in Phoenix Park, where one can visit an OPW stall - right beside the little tower house which is open to the public. But just not on the day when there's plenty of families with children around - because they had to man the stall :rolleyes:

So from where I see it, there is plenty of original creativity that has emerged from Ireland that could be celebrated, as well as many other elements attractive to tourists. But regrettably the country is not served very well by those bodies tasked with the job - for example only 6% of the tourism marketing budget is spent on marketing Dublin, despite it housing more attractions per square foot, being positioned to avail of the weekend getaways, and being the gateway to the country.

Instead of attracting badly needed foreign tourists, we will continue to have FF linked hoteliers trying to sell beds to the Irish, because thats what Tourism Ireland has got away with doing for the last 20 years - and by now, they know no better. So they will continue to sell the proverbial deck chairs on a sinking ship to each other - pointless.

Just on a point of info regarding claim number 7 in the GoIreland list regarding "the armored tank"; they don't specify any inventor and give two different years as the date - 1911 and 1916. I really am not sure what 1911 refers to, however I suspect that what they may be making a very shoddy half-assed reference to is the construction of armored cars in 1916, when metal vats from Guinness's had gun loops inserted and were put onto lorries for crown forces to suppress the Provisional Government.

Again, this assertion by GoIreland is clumsy, bordering on the imbecilic - the armored car appears to have been originally invented in the UK in 1898. Therefore what GoIreland is "celebrating" is the first use of such war vehicles invented elsewhere against Irish citizens. Are we really paying state money to these people at GoIreland?

Perhaps if GoIreland really want to celebrate the history of Irish innovations from that time, they could highlight how Eddie Guinness / Lord Iveagh gave £10,000 to the UVF in 1914 to get guns so as to kill other Irishmen. Or then again, perhaps the truth is just too darn challenging ;)

TL;DR GoIreland's claims are waffle that may cod an Irish audience, but won't pass muster with the international market - and all the time, we actually have plenty of real good attractions that aren't actually being marketed... Roll on Diageo Day :pac:

Thomas Edison is revered as a genius inventor who has apparently graced the world with a wealth of technological advancements that we simply couldn't do without in the 21st Century. I imagine that a significant majority of the American public would also happen to agree with this synopsis.

Digging a little deeper you will find that his accomplishments have been grossly overestimated (A point which I touched on in my previous sarcastic post - a post which you "thanked").

I thanked because I happened to be a great fan of Tesla :)
    Would you consider this to be a State conspiracy in the US Education System which perpetuates the false notion that Edison was anything but a master American inventor?

I don't know. Would you like to link to something State sponsored that makes such a claim? I'm dissecting this piece of GoIreland propaganda aimed at adults, not the US Education System.
    The basic crux of this entire thread is your belief that the Irish State is being deliberately and disgustingly facetious in their claims about supposed Irish inventors, isn't it?

Well if they claim something as Irish isn't it reasonable to verify that? Or should they put at a statement about the Irish moonlandings?
    That, and the whole topic of "Irish Identity" which you've decided to shoehorn into this thread. If you want to rant about this topic, create a new thread.
    I didn't rant about anything. I merely reflected that it was rich to claim Boyle, an aristocrat of the 17th Century, who, had you suggest he was anything other than an Englishman, would have probably had you horsewhipped.

Again what sovereignty in 1627 would have granted him "Irish" nationality? His allegiance to Charles the first is known - he was a Cavalier at the time of the Civil War.

Well if they claim something as Irish isn't it reasonable to verify that? Or should they put at a statement about the Irish moonlandings?

Nah, don't bother about the monnlandings - we've a much more up to date angle
    http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Distant-Irish-relatives-mourn-moonwalker-Neil-Armstrong-167530445.html
    :P

I guess Barack Obama will be claimed as an Irish Nobel Prizewinner then?

I guess Barack Obama will be claimed as an Irish Nobel Prizewinner then?

Darn Right :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Do you think he would have described himself as Irish? Another famous "irishman" Wellington had something to say on accidents of birth. Something about stables and horses, iirc.

You don't recall correctly. As of many quotes, this is one of the many unprovable. If he did say it it was likely as Wellington the politician, at a time of Home Rule agitation he was playing to the crowd. However, also as a polititian, he passed the Catholic Emancipation bill to the great annoyance of the British establishment and great joy in Ireland.

Arthur Wellesley the infant was born and reared in Ireland, as a child he was schooled in Ireland, England, Belgium and France. He entered the Indian Service and as a soldier commanded Indian and British imperial troops. All are entitled to claim him as their own.

Advertisement