Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple break-ins in Ashgrove

Options
  • 27-12-2012 5:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Just to let people know that there's been multiple apartments broken into in Ashgrove over Christmas and St. Stephen's.

Maybe putting it on the record will help other would-be buyers or tenants in some way. The communal areas of the apartment blocks should be gated off for private use only. That would spell almost an end to any anti-social problems; including burglary.

A real shame. It was touted as being worth every penny but in the last couple of years, its descending into College Avenue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

and?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

madred006 wrote: »
    and?

What?

Why dont you inform the gardai of this plan to gate the local communities and when ur at it ask them if they could put up a few gates on outskirts of town aswell, im sure there were other break ins over xmass time every town has a college avenue and wat is the matter with collage avenue ,just eager to see ur take on this .

madred006 wrote: »
    Why dont you inform the gardai of this plan to gate the local communities and when ur at it ask them if they could put up a few gates on outskirts of town aswell, im sure there were other break ins over xmass time every town has a college avenue and wat is the matter with collage avenue ,just eager to see ur take on this .

Aaah :) Flushed you out. So you live in College Avenue. That explains the defensiveness.
    Sorry for your troubles. There are 9-10 of 13 properties on Daft.ie from College Avenue. Its a shame for the decent residents but a good number of landlords in there have cut the throat of the 'community' aspect. That's an objective fact.

Communal gardens for an apartment complex should have been gated. It won't happen, obviously. But it was a poorly thought-out development. The Gardaí will tell you that the walkway into the church carpark leaves them chasing their tails and the open nature of the communal gardens behind the Ashgrove apartments has left them wide open to attack.
    Do you know if some of the Gardaí are doing building nixers? Why would anyone inform the Gardaí of building work? That's usually the planning department in Laois Co Co. Here, have a read here www.laois.ie :rolleyes:

Every town has a College Avenue you say and then you ask what is the matter with it?? Clearly you already know the answer to that question. So does everyone in MM. Including the unfortunate majority of hardworking home-owners who are surrounded by wasters & cannon-fodder.

Ashgrove was commanding high prices historically. It won't if they let it slide. In fact, prices have already slid to equal to all other apartment blocks.

Everywhere has burglaries you say. For individual homes that's regrettable. Where there is a management company, its not regrettable, its preventable.

Burglar resistance not burglar alarms. Plenty of advice on Boards about it. Toughen the glass by using film; strengthen the locks. And, if possible, gate the communal gardens. End of problem. Shores up longterm investment by owners and tenants. Unfortunately little money and no will to do anything is the reality of most people.

For those who want a read on Boards and elsewhere on BURGLAR RESISTANCE, have a look at these links which I sent family members recently:-

Here is a list of tips worth reading by all of us. http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=1921&Lang=1.

Here is a seriously good supplier http://burglarybusters.ie/ sourced from this Irish forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79983951. Post #11 by Ambersky.

Its all about burglar resistance; something for some reason in Ireland we don't focus on. I would reinforce the glass and the locks and put up PIRs and 2 fake alarm bell-boxes on the chimneys.

Windows can have the seals removed from the outside and entrance can be easily made. With most of our houses, I might add. The solution is here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57832356 All of our windows need to be checked and, if necessary, removed and re-glazed inward.

I had an attempt on my rented bungalow in Mountmellick in 2011. I sought a free and effective solution and found www.yawcam.com, a free motion-detection software solution that I paired with a webcam and used to take constant snapshots of anyone or anything that moved in front of my windows and front door. It also could be used even if they had broken in and ran away with or smashed the laptop / pc. As it could be set to send instant snapshots via broadband (presuming yours can be left on fulltime) to your mobile. So you still would have had a break-in but would also have a 'resolution' (Gardaí or DIY).

Hope this helps someone.

• Advertisement

Good points and well made ,but greedy landlords and local authority might resist housing trash down there and return them to where they belong ,personally i wouldnt bring a dog up down there ,just feel for the hard working residents paying a mortage down there .

Advertisement