Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BURGLARY'S

Options
  • 08-11-2008 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

i was broken into last week. they removed the glass from the frame without any damage to either. it took me 20 minutes to cop on why it was so cold. Nothing seemed to be taken thankfully, so i assumed they were disturbed. guards said it was preferred way in these days, and breaking lock in door is other.

i was given the number of a guy who came out fixed the problem. i thought i would have to get new windows but it only cost 300. i won't put his mobile no on the page for obvious reasons, but will pm it to anyone interested.

i sleep a lot better now.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,021 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

kitser wrote: »
    i was broken into last week. they removed the glass from the frame without any damage to either. it took me 20 minutes to cop on why it was so cold. Nothing seemed to be taken thankfully, so i assumed they were disturbed. guards said it was preferred way in these days, and breaking lock in door is other.

i was given the number of a guy who came out fixed the problem. i thought i would have to get new windows but it only cost 300. i won't put his mobile no on the page for obvious reasons, but will pm it to anyone interested.

i sleep a lot better now.

Interesting first post kitser. Whereabouts in Dublin 15 are you?
    Burglars usually work an area for a couple of weeks so others here would be interested to know if its their area that's being targeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Nothing seemed to be taken thankfully, so I assumed they were disturbed.
    Not necessarily. Many years ago I lived in Phibsborough and was broken into. Initially it looked like nothing was taken but some cash was. Basically they went through everything but were very neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

hey des

was a bit over the limit when i wrote the post. i live in the mulhuddart area. i have pvc windows, and they took out the front window ( i'm facing the main road). bold as brass. i reckon there be lots more to come in the run up to christmas.

the guy that fixed the problem, took out all the glass and put a glazing tape on the frame which the glass stuck to. then he put a small bead of black silicone on the inside, as a back up. very neat. looks the same as it was.

i have a wooden front door with the five point locks, pretty sturdy i thought, but he showed me how wrong i was. he opened it in ten seconds with a vice grips. i **** you not. half of the estates in dublin 15 have these doors. if the key cylinder is sticking out past the handle you could be in trouble. i don't know how the builders are allowed put these in in the first place.

have a good one

hey daymo,

i always lock the bed room door when i go out, old habits die hard, all the important stuff is there, but got the locks changed on the front and back door as i wasn't sure if i had left a spare key on the mantle piece or not. to be honest, i'm not sure if they came in when i was sleeping, or if i came home that night and didn't see the glass sitting there. the plasma is locked to the wall bracket in anyway. i lock all the doors downstairs when i go out now all the same. if they get into one room, they can stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I lock all the doors downstairs when i go out now all the same. if they get into one room, they can stay there.
    I thought that this would be a good idea but I was told that a determined burglar will simply break down the doors resulting in more damage to fix.

If you have a local residents association then please tell them what happened and they will tell the other residents, hopefully limiting the future success of the brazen burglar.

Sorry for all the negative responses.

• Advertisement

i see your point daymo. but all doors inside are solid and open into each room, so i would be trying to make it as difficult as possible for them. if they had a clean run of the house they usually make **** of it in anyway. but it's sad that i have to resort to such measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

sorry, i thought the windows should of been glazzed so the glass could not be removed from the outside??? surely this would be a major design flaw?? :eek:

Did the guy who came to fix them not comment on this??

if you buy a house with existing windows that are pvc, you don't really take note of which way they're glazed. the guy who fixed the problem told me that inward glazed should be standard, but is not required by law. his solution makes them non removable from the outside, so is good enough for me.

it's a design flaw, which big builders don't care about as they don't have to live in them, and were happy to save maybe 10 euro per window. multiply that by eight windows per house, and two hundred houses per build.

Advertisement