Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everyday Carry

Options
  • 27-12-2012 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hello I'm not really sure if this is the right place for this but it's worth a shot I have been thinking about everyday carry items lately and was wondering what i could use i know a lot of people carry knives/multitools but i no there's laws against carrying them so i'm not to sure were to stand with them i was wondering what items do you use and recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Deerhound

I have had a Leatherman on my belt for over 10 years, nothing iliegal about carrying one.
    My first Leatherman was a 200 Supertool but for the past 8 years I have had a Wave on my hip. I have never had a problem with Gardai and I have often recommended them to gards for their own EDC.
    For multitools I highly recommend both Leatherman and Gerbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

Depends. If you get stopped by an ambitious young guard looking for promotion and you dont have a good reason for carrying one he could do you for carrying a consealed weapon. A tradesman or the like should be ok. An office worker would have some explaining to do but if you keep it in your car to "help change light bulbs" or such you'll be ok. If you are a young lad in a hoody with no job beyond hanging around a street corner you'll be explaining it to a judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I just got a Leatherman Sidekick to use as my EDC..

Replacing an old underused 2 inch folding lock knife...

I also bring a 7inch s/s filleting knife with me fishing
    & I have a 4inch imperial schrade folder for when Im off doing some farming

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭bonelessbread

Just thought i'd try out an EDC just to see what it's like and such I'm 19 college student so i think i will be staying away from the likes of knives/multitools because if i did get stopped i don't exactly have a reason to be carrying one
    what else do people usually carry? I know people usually carry a flash light as far as i know there's no law against carrying one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Get yourself a nice leatherman or victorinox, bring fruit for lunch or have a tin of tuna or the likes, the tool is for cutting or opening your lunch. You will not have a problem unless you are messing about. Another option would be a swiss army card to keep in your wallet. My learherman surge is with me most of the time, i work in an office so obviously dont have it on my hip in work but it is in the van, i have it most of the time when not in work except when im going out for a drink or shopping or that

Not sure if you were serious about the torch but no there is no law about carrying one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Deerhound wrote: »
    I have had a Leatherman on my belt for over 10 years, nothing iliegal about carrying one.

It is illegal. It is an offence to carry a knife and it's one of the few laws where the onus is on you to prove that you needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Deerhound

Khannie wrote: »
    It is illegal. It is an offence to carry a knife and it's one of the few laws where the onus is on you to prove that you needed it.

I stand corrected. That's what happens when a layman gives legal advice.

I had a quick look at the law (Better late then never)

"Where a person has with him in any public place any knife or any other article which has a blade or which is sharply pointed, he shall be guilty of an offence"

Under that definition my toothpicks would be illegal. Oh my God! Not my toothpicks! (Sorry couldn't resist it);)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Like i said above its all about having a good reason

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

My EDC is in 2 stages if im within walking distance of home I carry a victorinox knife and a led lenser M5 flashlight phone zippo smokes keys If im going any where else I carry my maxpedition pygmy falcon 2 back pack (contents change with the season) in the very front pocket I have hat gloves and neck gator next pocket is leatherman with extra screwdriver bits led lenser p2 flashlight nutrigrain bar/s extra smokes extra lighter and extra batteries and self defense items and a small pocket first aid kit main pocket / compartment of the bag is empty on my way into town but full on the way home and a bottle of water in the side pouch and sometimes my rain poncho in the other side pouch

With regards carrying a knife multi tool once your not being a knob with it or in general the Guards will have no reason to stop you in the first place ive been carrying a pen knife since i was about 16 and have yet to be stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Been carrying a leatherman charge TTi for many years now, never had a bother with anyone (although do remember to take it off your belt when heading to the airport, doh!)

The case that comes with the TTi has a stretchy flap on the side that fits a led lenser P3 perfectly. I'd love to switch it out for a torch with switchable red light (red's better for your natural night vision) but haven't found a good one.

I've also had a swisscard in my wallet for many years, never gets caught by airport security so handy for short trips. Used to have a tool-logic keynife as well, but it was surplus to requirements and got given away.

• Advertisement

Oh, one more thing, I also have a smallish knife with a belt cutter and cermic window punch in the centre console of the car at all times. Something like this: http://www.ourdesigns.com/Firefighter-Knife-with-Seat-Belt-Cutter-And-Window-Punch-SSI114FF-0X.aspx

Nothing like having a decent way to get out of hanging upside down in a car you just flipped.

gerrowadat wrote: »

The case that comes with the TTi has a stretchy flap on the side that fits a led lenser P3 perfectly. I'd love to switch it out for a torch with switchable red light (red's better for your natural night vision) but haven't found a good one.

Get a mini maglite red lens and cut it to size and stick it onto the p3 lens i see they gave started to bring out the color lens for the led lensers but so far its only the t7 l7 p7 ect...

Oh, one more thing, I also have a smallish knife with a belt cutter and cermic window punch in the centre console of the car at all times. Something like this: http://www.ourdesigns.com/Firefighter-Knife-with-Seat-Belt-Cutter-And-Window-Punch-SSI114FF-0X.aspx

Nothing like having a decent way to get out of hanging upside down in a car you just flipped.
    I had a similar one of these i wouldnt bet my life on the seat belt cutter but the knife holds a good edge
    Oh and if you dont have it secured to the center console if the car flips murphys law it will fly out the window or out of reach inside the car :rolleyes:

grapeape wrote: »

Get a mini maglite red lens and cut it to size and stick it onto the p3 lens i see they gave started to bring out the color lens for the led lensers but so far its only the t7 l7 p7 ect...

I used to have a ****ty wee light that has switchable filters, would like to be able to switch between white and red for different reasons. Blue is also useful for glare reduction.

I had a similar one of these i wouldnt bet my life on the seat belt cutter but the knife holds a good edge
    Oh and if you dont have it secured to the center console if the car flips murphys law it will fly out the window or out of reach inside the car :rolleyes:

Yeah true for you, it's in a cubby but opening it up will send **** flying in a proper flip.

I haven't tested the belt cutter, belt material to test on being in short supply :-) Pretty sure the ceramic will work though, I've seen some youtube vids of lads hitting car windows with shard of spark plug. Mad how it works.

I used to have a ****ty wee light that has switchable filters, would like to be able to switch between white and red for different reasons. Blue is also useful for glare reduction.
    Ive the head for the large and small maglite and the different lens they are handy im drifting more to led lensers these days the fenix have a small one with changeable heads but they eat batteries

Yeah true for you, it's in a cubby but opening it up will send **** flying in a proper flip.

I haven't tested the belt cutter, belt material to test on being in short supply :-) Pretty sure the ceramic will work though, I've seen some youtube vids of lads hitting car windows with shard of spark plug. Mad how it works.
    Ask in your local scrap yard thats where i tested mine cost me a fiver for a broken belt

• Registered Users Posts: 9 carcano

[QUOTE=touts;8239 If you get stopped by an ambitious young guard looking for promotion[/QUOTE]

First of all hello all.

I am wondering would all be fine with such a guard if you had opened the small nuts/bolts on the leatherman kick for eg, removed the knife blade put in a spacer-washer and reassembled?
    The knife is one of the least used tools on my leatherman and to avoid any hassle this would be one way round it.
    One of the reasons it is so under used is it is a little slow to open, extract the blade and close the handles so I have taken to also carrying a small 2" blade folder.
    If you could show a leatherman on your belt was bladeless unless you were at something theyll hardly search you anymore?

What do ye all think????

carcano wrote: »
    First of all hello all.

I am wondering would all be fine with such a guard if you had opened the small nuts/bolts on the leatherman kick for eg, removed the knife blade put in a spacer-washer and reassembled?
    The knife is one of the least used tools on my leatherman and to avoid any hassle this would be one way round it.
    One of the reasons it is so under used is it is a little slow to open, extract the blade and close the handles so I have taken to also carrying a small 2" blade folder.
    If you could show a leatherman on your belt was bladeless unless you were at something theyll hardly search you anymore?

What do ye all think????

I honestly don't think it'll be a problem. I've had a leatherman confiscated at an airport (sad face, always remember to leave it at home folks), they noticed the locking knife and did nothing about it.

I've also had it inspected by both Irish and UK customs/border patrol on the ferry, nobody's had a problem with it so far. I'd say it's not worth the bother.

yea maybe your right

I would thing though even with the blade removed they would still confascate it at the airport though.

• Advertisement

First of all hello all.

What do ye all think????
    As i said before unless your being a complete knob with any knife or in general the guards will have no reason to stop you in the first place Guards are like us all they want a handy shift and to head for a pint or 2 after They dont want to be sitting in the station filling out paper work sending it to the DPP and be laughed at because you were just walking along minding your own business when said guard decided to stop and search you without just cause

yea maybe your right

I would thing though even with the blade removed they would still confascate it at the airport though.

Yeah for sure. They can confiscate whatever they want. I know for a fact that my leatherman went home with some bag swabber.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

i carry a leatherman mut and a locking folding knife at the mo its a spyderco tenacious

As i said before unless your being a complete knob with any knife or in general the guards will have no reason to stop you in the first place Guards are like us all they want a handy shift and to head for a pint or 2 after They dont want to be sitting in the station filling out paper work sending it to the DPP and be laughed at because you were just walking along minding your own business when said guard decided to stop and search you without just cause

It was just to allow for that one in ten thousand chance that "touts" mentioned, I think I remember a man in Co. Louth at a checkpoint and a guard seen a swiss army knife in the car and he charged with possesion.

Twas just an idea.

Ill probably never take the blade off mine.

It was just to allow for that one in ten thousand chance that "touts" mentioned, I think I remember a man in Co. Louth at a checkpoint and a guard seen a swiss army knife in the car and he charged with possesion.

Twas just an idea.

Ill probably never take the blade off mine.
    Being charged is one thing but im sure once it hit the DPPs desk it was binned as a waste of time I deal a lot with court cases for my job and ive seen judges scream at guards for stupid offenses wasting the courts time

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭drvr

EDC: small flashlight,(enough to see in a dark room / lane ). small pouch on car keys with Medical gloves and CPR barrier device. At work
    Swiss Army knife , leather man supertool 300, Leatherman monarch 400 led torch (1 AA), Pens. All get used regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Wallet,(with money, driving licence and credit/bank cards, postits and small pen), phone (clock, calculator, diary etc), multitool, flashlight, lighter.

At home gardening I have a big multi tool and in 'tidy' clothes a small one.
    Anymore than that goes in a bag for specific places. Home emergencies, car emergencies etc.
    Never got the prepared for anything at all times thing, most solutions are in your head, i.e. knowledge so are always with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

Keys, Wallet, Phone - 3 things you should have on your person at all time. My EDC atm is as follows:

Keys
    • Leather Squirt PS4 - I use this everyday; cut my nails, pilers acts as a great tweezers, knife is great at opening parcels etc.
      • Needlenose Pliers
      • Wire Cutter
      • Knife
      • Scissors
      • Bottle Opener
      • Metal File
      • Screwdriver - Flat head & Philips
    • Cash Stash - Currently have 100euro in it (saved my ass a good couple of times)
    • True-Utility-Cash-Stash-in-Pink.jpg
    • LED Lenser (17 Lumen Torch) - comes in very handy
    • led-lenser-k1-torch.jpg
    • True Utility Pen - Recent purchase but want a pen on me
    • 31yuf9QhvIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    • FOFA - Wallet/Key Finder - Fcuking love cannot recommend it enough
    • keyfindercc.jpg
    • USB Flash Drive - Use this all the time

Wallet
    • Chargecard - Credit Card Sized phone charger (fcuking awesome)
    • ChargeCard-Micro-USB-1.jpg
    • Notepaper
    • Matches and striker
    • Ear Plugs - everyone should carry these
    • Bandaids
    • Sewing kit & buttons - used this a couple of times
    • some safety pins
    • cable ties
    • some chewing gum
    • Toothpick (I want to get teethwipes so I also have a portable toothbrush)
    • Painkillers
    • Wound wipes
    • Burn Gel
    • Survival Tool (never really used this but I like having it)
    • Credit-Card-Survival-Tool-Screws-Saws-And-Opens-Your-Beer-1.jpg
    • I want to find a small spray bottle (like a perfume taster bottle) I can fill up with superglue - I'd use it to stitch up wounds and to glue things together

Phone
    I have a Vodafone Smart 3. It's pretty **** and I intend to upgrade.

I think the above is a good EDC. There is a lot of redundancy:
    • If I misplace my wallet/keys I can find it with the keyfinder.
    • If my battery runs out on my phone, I have a charger.
    • If I run out of cash, I have an emergency supply or I could use paypal on my phone to buy things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Just ordered my second SWAK Cybertool 34, had the last one for 10 years lost it at home somewhere but still can't find it so ordered this one from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001P14Y0 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭nuub

Here is my EDC I have not gone too mad on SHTF kinda stuff and more focus on ROL urban preps.

Wallet

• Jack Pyke hunters wallet (want to swap it out for a Maxpedition Spartan)
    • Maglite Solitairs (37 lumens fits nicely in the wallet)
    • Ian sinclair knife card (flimsy but nice to have=
    • Multi tool card
    • Band Aids
    • Alcohol wipes.
    Keys

• Pouch with vinyl gloves.
    • Pill holder (ibuprofen and anti diarohhea tabs)
    • Mini stanley knife
    Back pack

I use this every day for work.

• Strong rain poncho
    • Collapsable cups and cutlery
    • spare jumper
    • wooly hat
    • socks
    • Microfibre towel
    In the front pocket of my work pack/ day pack

Maxpedition EDC organiser ( amazing bit of kit costs 20 euro buy one)

• wet wipes
    • Cable ties (various sizes)
    • Bic Lighter
    • Fisher space pen
    • Moleskin notepad
    • medical pen torch
    • Gerber EVO (multi tool)
    • Wenger ranger (swiss army knife)
    • first aid kit (usual contents)
    • Spork
    • Duct tape (wrapped around cards)
    • pry bar
    • Wd40 no mess pen (dead handy)
    • jerky
    • Tea bags
    • Coffee
    • Sugar
    • wire saw
    • freshnel lense
    • button compass
    • 2x AA
    • 2xAAA batteries
    • Iphone charger lead
    • Power charger (holds a charge and connects to iphone)
    • USB stick ( just with music on it)
    • zip bags
    • dust mask
    • ear plugs
    • lip balm
    • Precision screw driver
    • Mini hacksaw
    On my person

Swiss army soldier knife
    BG paracord braclet

Fleece

This is a tactical fleece that I wear most days of the week one of the cheapest and best ones I own. It has three zippers on it. The main one and then two on the pockets on the arms I have replaced these zippers with :

• Gerber zip knife
    • Gerber zip hex set
    • Gerber zip posi driver set
    • Gerber zip gutting tool

If anyone is looking for links or pics of any of the above feel free to PM me.

Advertisement