Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 155 - Junior Dos Santos V Cain Velasquez II

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,158 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

True, but Frankie Edgar was destroyed in the 1st round, twice, against Gray Maynard and bounced back in both fights, sure in the second fight he KO'd him! I believe the extra weight hindered him, the same when Frank Mir put on extra muscle in his second fight with Brock Lesnar, he felt it was detrimental with regards to his cardio, now, I'm not taking anything away Cain, he's a freaking animal, but it just didn't look the JDS we all know in there on Saturday night.

In fairness, you can't take Frankie Edgar and use him as a comparison to JDS in a case like this! Every fighter is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JDS needs to lose that 10lbs of muscle in gained for the fight, the only explanation as to why he gassed so easily, more focus on cardio as opposed to anaerobic.

Overeem is in trouble, if he gets past Bigfoot.
    JDS weighed 239 for that fight, that's also what he weighed the first time they met.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

JDS looked sluggish this time. I'm surprised he had no weight change from the first fight. Was he sick or something? I can understand Cain doing well and dominating with wrestling but I can't understand JDS doing that badly with his boxing. He had no power in his shots.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

jayteecork wrote: »
    Thought Junior was able to negate or get up straight away from Cain's takedowns, even when he was out on his feet.

That's something he can take heart from.

It's good that Cain won it sets things up nicely for the trilogy. (I f hate the term "rubber match")

Ya I thought he still did alright with the takedown defense after the 1st round,I thought Cain would be taking him down with ease after that

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Dirk Hardpeck

Mellor wrote: »
    JDS weighed 239 for that fight, that's also what he weighed the first time they met.

Really? He said he put on 4 /12 kilos in muscle for the fight, and he did look more ripped.

Either way, his cardio was terrible, he's one of my favourite fighters, I'm sure he'll bounce back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

It was a beating.... and it looked bad for JDS because of the simple fact that a Cain beating looks worse than a JDS beating. Cain will smash you round for 25mins but JDS will put you to sleep in one instant in the 2nd minute of the fight. So you come off lookin worse after a Cain hiding.

JDS is not an 'all round' great fighter... he is the most devastating KO artist in HW history IMO and this makes him MORE dangerous on average than Cain so the trilogy is set up beautifully. Cain cannot learn to punch like JDS and JDS cannot ever expect to develop the cardio and bullish fence 'wrestle and strike' capability of Cain Valasquez - never going to happen.

Dodging a KO strike from JDS when you have only one game plan 'to push forward relentlessly' is always going to be more dangerous for Cain. JDS will watch the vid and see how that punch took his heart away and would have for anyone on the planet. He should do what he needs to to gain even more speed... maybe lose a few lbs muscle and stop worrying about fighting a Goliath like Overeem which I think explains why JDS has gotten visibly more muscular. He should accept that fact that he will never beat Cain style for style and should continue to focus on what he excels at.... punching people in the face really hard once and then finishing them off.

Could never call the 3rd fight. There is nothing to predict the outcome of that fight. Can't wait for it whenever it happens and their interim fights between here and then will just make it more and more tasty over the next year.

Valasquez is the baddest man alive on the planet right now in my book.... simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Cain is the real deal, this is what I have always believed, the first fight was a highly visible off night due to injury and a lot of people wrote him off. I believe he is favourite for the inevitable 3rd fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

I think bookies will put Cain fav yes... but I always favor the guy with the most dangerous weapon - Great KO ability like JDS has beats Cardio 7/10 times in my book so gut says JDS within 2 but only to have an opinion I don't think it's remotely predictable for any logical reasons. I also don't go at all with any argument about quick KO's do not sort out who the superior fighter is. I think a quick KO upside the head like JDS did is worth at least as much as a 5 round war IF there's a pattern of KO's there as there is with JDS. If anything a quick full KO (boom! you're out) to me sorts out who is the better fighter as opposed to judges deciding it.... to me it denotes a more dangerous fighter as I think JDS still is.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Great behind the scenes blog from Joe Lauzon's team at UFC 155.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

What a crap night of fights i must say, a big let down after the last few events.

• Advertisement
Advertisement