Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wren Boyz or Mummers on St.Stephens day

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

I thought this was about rent boys, but in a dublin accent.

im not attracted to them
    just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Went on the ran loads of times when I was young (late 80s early 90s) Still goes on in most of mayo/Galway/Sligo afaik. We had two groups call today. About 10 years ago we'd have 20+ call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

We only had one wran boy this year, we used to have loads.

It was mighty craic, singing silent night or away in a manger while someone played, badly, on the tin whistle.

And the rhyme we were taught to say was
    'The wran, the wran, the king of all birds,
    on St. Stephens' day, got caught in the furze.
    Up with the fiddle and down with the pan,
    Give us a penny to bury the wran.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Rasheed wrote: »
    We only had one wran boy this year, we used to have loads.

It was mighty craic, singing silent night or away in a manger while someone played, badly, on the tin whistle.

And the rhyme we were taught to say was
    'The wran, the wran, the king of all birds,
    on St. Stephens' day, got caught in the furze.
    Up with the fiddle and down with the pan,
    Give us a penny to bury the wran.'

I did it when I was younger, about 10 or 11 years ago. Round here it would called doing the wran. I don't know if we had any today cause I was gone but a couple of years ago if felt like it never stopped. You see very few wran girls, I was one, and few few younger lads, mostly teenagers looking for drinking money. Also don't like it when people go around in a car. It's a nice tradition but there is no need to be taking the piss.

The rhyme we were taught was:
    The wran, the wran, the king of the birds.
    St. Stephen's Day got caught in the firs.
    Up with the kettle and down with the pan.
    A penny or two to bury the wran.

Very similar to the ones above but I'd say everyone has a different one. It it might be a local thing,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

My great uncle wrote a book on Mummers recently enough, specifically ones from the South East. Pretty niche thing for a book.

I went to some workshop in Dublin as a child to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

meoklmrk91 wrote: »

I did it when I was younger, about 10 or 11 years ago. Round here it would called doing the wran. I don't know if we had any today cause I was gone but a couple of years ago if felt like it never stopped. You see very few wran girls, I was one, and few few younger lads, mostly teenagers looking for drinking money. Also don't like it when people go around in a car. It's a nice tradition but there is no need to be taking the piss.

The rhyme we were taught was:
    The wran, the wran, the king of the birds.
    St. Stephen's Day got caught in the firs.
    Up with the kettle and down with the pan.
    A penny or two to bury the wran.

Very similar to the ones above but I'd say everyone has a different one. It it might be a local thing,
    Yeah, you're right, it's probably a local thing! I love seeing children doing it. Visiting a few houses in their locality.

We had a couple if lads last year that were driving themselves, I thought they were getting on a bit for it!

Agree with you on the car thing though. It used to be deadly to hop up on the bikes and go round, but I suppose things have changed since we done it and maybe parents are more wary than they used to be.

I think myself and my neighbour used to be the only girls round here, doing it. I way preferred it to Halloween!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

They have this tradition around my parts too. All the boy virgins dress in the Mummers outfits and dance around the place singing the Wren song before the village sets fire to them to ensure a good harvest of Wrens for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The Wren Boys were around in East Clare when my wife was young. Her area would have been very big into traditional music so maybe that's why. No idea if they do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Yes, but back in the eighties to support the local national school, after the party there was upwards of £600 pounds left for the school.

Don't know if they still do it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

My friend and I did it about 5+ years ago. Was good craic, made some dosh too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement