Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wren Boyz or Mummers on St.Stephens day

Options
  • 26-12-2012 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Have you ever heard of this being done in your lifetime? I have never heard of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Stephen%27s_Day

Have you ever heard of ''Wren day''? 87 votes

Yeah I have
    0% 0 votes
    No I have never heard of it
    100% 87 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Not in my memory, my father said it used to happen in his day though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Wren Boyz wreckin' the house bruv!
    Yeahhhhhhh
    Wren Boyz kickin' it real bruv!
    Yeahhhhhhh
    Wren Boyz is true and wicked bruv!
    Yeahhhhhhhh

Lyrics from Wren Boyz by N-Dubz courtesy of Polydor Records.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i voted for the pub, which i, heading to shortly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

If you've never heard of it, how did you start a thread about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭baldbear

Yes had one today in Longford. Its still big in Kerry. A nice tradition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Loads of things happen in Dingle An Daingean that nobody knows about..

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Not in my memory, my father said it used to happen in his day though.

Had a couple of young traveller girls coming to the house singin a song and asking for some money in the lashing rain. Someone driving them around in a car and that. I never heard of it before. Even Wiki says its less common these days. Would be a nice tradition to bring back when I thought more about it lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Lock up well OP, you may well get robbed in the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I've heard of it but I have no idea what it's all about. I presume it's something similar to rent boys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

What the frick is the RAN? It was always produced as 'wren' now its being pronounced 'ran' on the RTE news:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Actually yes...

I blame Ars Magica and a game where the PC's are pestered with Wrens on St. Stephens day.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

I remember Wren Boys coming to our house in Cork when I was little, in the 70s and early 80s.

In Philadelphia there is a Mummer's parade every New Year's Day which is huge. They have toned it down in the last few years but not long ago you'd see people literally bringing kegs with them to watch it from the sidewalk. It was like a giant outdoor frat party.

http://www.phillymummers.com/index.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummers_Parade

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Nowhere in that Wiki link is the word "Boyz" mentioned OP.

I think you're making shít up. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

they call to the pubs around my way. i see em every yr for last 5 or 6 yrs. me ma and da seen for first time today, thought it was brilliant. great to see traditions like this still going. my young lad seen too for first time today,he was amazed at the goings on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Used to go on the wren/ the ran as kids. Great fun it was too:) Like trick-or-treating 2.0

We had two groups visit today, first time in several years, must be the age of the local kids or something (most too old and the rest too young).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭TheBody

I went went on the "ran" as we called it, many times when I was a boy in Longford. Great times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

"Ran" Boys still quite popular in the county side in Sligo. My parents were part of a mummers group that go around to pubs every Stephen's night performing and collecting money for Charity. They also perform at weddings and festivals as 'Mummers' during the year. It's a lovely tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

We had them awhile ago. About 10 kids together, playing instruments. Raising money for a new community centre. Fair play to them. Nice tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Its pronounced Wran Boys. tradition is still very strong around rural West Limerick. The groups rarely travel to private houses nowadays as the 'Celtic Tiger' brought about a certain affleunce where people became anxious about 'strangers' invading there homes and leaving footprints on their expensive floor tiles. They usually do a tour of pubs now and the people travel there to watch each group or batch perform. Each group or 'batch' finish the day at their designated 'home' pub and play for as long as they are allowed.
    Carrigkerry Wren group are known nationwide and have been on TV many times. they can be seen on youtube. Their leader or 'King' is one mighty accordion player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Every Stephen's Day in Sandymount. Wren is alive and well in the Palest of the Pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

The wren, the wren, the king of all birds
    St. Stephen's Day was caught in the firs
    Although he was little, his honor was great
    Jump up me lads and give us a treat

We followed the wren three miles or more
    Three miles of more, three miles or more
    Through hedges and ditches and heaps of snow
    At six o'clock in the morning

Rolley, Rolley, where is your nest?
    It's in the bush that I love best
    It's in the bush, the holly tree
    Where all the boys do follow me

As I went out to hunt and all
    I met a wren upon the wall
    Up with me wattle and gave him a fall
    And brought him here to show you all

I have a little box under me arm
    A tuppence or penny will do it no harm
    For we are the boys who came your way
    To bring in the wren on St. Stephen's Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX7icoFY0U0

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

SeaFields wrote: »
    We had them awhile ago. About 10 kids together, playing instruments. Raising money for a new community centre. Fair play to them. Nice tradition.

Apart from the whole catching and killing a poor wren.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Apart from the whole catching and killing a poor wren.

Thats only a myth bud, never happens. sincerely hope you're taking the piss, or else you need to get out more.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

washman3 wrote: »
    Thats only a myth bud, never happens. sincerely hope you're taking the piss, or else you need to get out more.;)

It is? !!! *places wren neatly back in bush and walks away slowly *

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

washman3 wrote: »

I dunno, we'd a 5 year old playing the tin whistle awhile ago that could have been a cold blooded killer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

stevoslice wrote: »
    St. Stephen's Day was caught in the firs

I always thought it was "caught in the furze". Any wren stupid enough to get caught in a fir tree would hardly have made it that far through the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Saw a group of six or seven of them earlier today in Waterford marching down the street. Think they were heading for one of the pubs. They were all dressed up like chimney sweeps. Nice old tradition. I have never heard anyone call them 'ran' boys though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Have them here most years. It's not something most of you people would understand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Mudmask

I only heard of this today as my Grandad said "i don't suppose you know anyone going on the wren today". He had to explain it to me as I hadn't a notion what he was on about!

Advertisement