Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food poisoning

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

A couple of years ago, I had just two oysters in Howth. This was on a Saturday. Come Sunday night and I was dying. Fever, vomiting etc...

Friend of mine was the same, and he was the only one to eat oysters too.

Needless to say never again I had any food there, nor any osyters, even though we were offered a free meal as an apology....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Well, got a great dose of it this Christmas.

Had a chicken kiev for dinner on Sunday 23rd. By Monday night I was vomiting, diarrhoea so spent Christmas eve on the loo :( It was a 2-pack of chicken kievs from Dunnes and the plan was to have the second one for lunch Monday - thank God I forgot about it!

Felt little bit better Christmas day, managed some dinner around 6pm but still not 100%.

Hopefully I will be feeling better tonight.

A friend of mine got food poisoning on a flight from Singapore to London after having a curry in Singapore the night before she left. I don't think I ever understood how bad that must have been. At least I was at home!!!

Any horror food poisoning stories???

we got chicken kievs from dunnes the other day,2 euro,no wonder there so cheap,in the bin they go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Go food poision 24hour after eating a dinner that nobody else had. That night my housemates and I had pals over and I had went to bed early. Woke up at 7 and vomited in my room. Lucky I got to the bathroom for round two. Cleaned up and when back to sleep woke up at 18:00. Grand after that. No bug or virius as nobody else got sick one of the worse days in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

Got food poisoning at a wedding few years back...... Everyone at the wedding was in ribbons for days after including bride and groom! Urghhhhhhh rotten!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Got food poisoning at a wedding few years back...... Everyone at the wedding was in ribbons for days after including bride and groom! Urghhhhhhh rotten!

I'd fierce hope the bride and groom sued the hotel or whoever provided the food. Poisoning them and all their guests is seriously bad form, and just think of the money the place charged them for the food!!!

I am feeling more human now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I had a Dominos pizza a few years back, medium ham and cheese, I never had a problem with them before that, but shortly after I ate it, I got terrible stomach cramps and spent the next 3 days vomiting through both ends, it got so bad I nearly passed out from the effort of vomiting, it took 3 whole days to recover from whatever it was, dunno if the oil was old or someone didnt wash their hands or what but it was very serious and I havent touched a Dominos pizza since..

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

hdowney wrote: »

I'd fierce hope the bride and groom sued the hotel or whoever provided the food. Poisoning them and all their guests is seriously bad form, and just think of the money the place charged them for the food!!!

I am feeling more human now :)

Good to hear it!

I went as some lucky fellas date, but did not know the couple at all so don't actually know what the outcome was but if I remember correctly it shaved the first couple of days off the newlyweds honeymoon. Nightmare scenario!!!

I've avoided Roscommon since! Lol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Them chicken kievs are lethal and should be banned with immediate effect or affect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Take Udo's choice super 8's probiotics or straight acidophilus every day and you won't get any of these vommit bug episodes....
    Btw food poisoning takes a while to kick in, 2 to 3 days roughly so the chicken Kiev was more than likely not the culprit, the norovirus probably was.
    Well at least your system got a good spring clean lol !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I ate bad profiteroles once. Within a couple of hours, I had horrendous diarrhea... when I was on the loo, I felt like I was gonna throw up, but couldn't leave the toilet. Ended up emptying the bin onto the floor and puking into that.
    It was the worst feeling ever :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

ElleEm wrote: »
    I ate bad profiteroles once. Within a couple of hours, I had horrendous diarrhea... when I was on the loo, I felt like I was gonna throw up, but couldn't leave the toilet. Ended up emptying the bin onto the floor and puking into that.

As previously stated, food poisoning takes time to affect the system.

It wasn't the profiter rolls pal, it was your digestive system reacting badly ....

Food poisoning is too widely used a term these days lol

ElleEm wrote: »

I had a similar one year (the pork scare time) and I ended up just throwing up over the side wall of the bath whilst sitting on the lav!. That was fun to clean up afterward!
    italodisco wrote: »
    As previously stated, food poisoning takes time to affect the system.

It wasn't the profiter rolls pal, it was your digestive system reacting badly ....

Food poisoning is too widely used a term these days lol

The below was taken from Wiki: (sorry can't work out how to link little bits!)

The delay between consumption of a contaminated food and appearance of the first symptoms of illness is called the incubation period. This ranges from hours to days (and rarely months or even years, such as in the case of Listeriosis or Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease), depending on the agent, and on how much was consumed. If symptoms occur within 1–6 hours after eating the food, it suggests that it is caused by a bacterial toxin or a chemical rather than live bacteria.
    The long incubation period of many foodborne illnesses tends to cause sufferers to attribute their symptoms to stomach flu.
    During the incubation period, microbes pass through the stomach into the intestine, attach to the cells lining the intestinal walls, and begin to multiply there. Some types of microbes stay in the intestine, some produce a toxin that is absorbed into the bloodstream, and some can directly invade the deeper body tissues. The symptoms produced depend on the type of microbe.[38]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Had a dose a couple of weeks back. Chicken curry for lunch, felt grand and then exactly 7 hours later, at home, I stood up to make a cuppa and it hit me like a tonne of bricks ... both ends!!!!

Got to the loo in time thankfully but I couldn't move for the rest of the evening and night without setting it off. Went stone cold too and broke out in a cold sweat. Horrible, horrible feeling.

Was a full 48 hours before I could eat anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I hate the vomiting bug / food poisoning so much. I seem to get it once a year. Got it yesterday while in work, I was grand going in but after a couple of hours I was all over the place! Got myself home and spent the rest of the night shivering on the couch. The constant feeling of nausea is terrible.

I think I'm over it now thankfully, just feels like I've been drinking for a week straight!

Schism wrote: »
    I hate the vomiting bug / food poisoning so much. I seem to get it once a year. Got it yesterday while in work, I was grand going in but after a couple of hours I was all over the place! Got myself home and spent the rest of the night shivering on the couch. The constant feeling of nausea is terrible.

I think I'm over it now thankfully, just feels like I've been drinking for a week straight!

Those two things. The shivvering is horrid, and you couldn't get warm if you dipped yourself in scalding water. And the constant nausea. You puke and think yay I'll feel better, but nope, instantly feel sick again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I haven't had any of those symptoms for 13 years and before that episode I have to go back to 1989 for the next one. Both times I think chicken from hotels was the culprit.

I don't drink and rarely go to pubs and niteclubs meaning I don't ever "get a bad pint" and also am not mingling with large crowds of sloppy drunk people, some of whom are undoubtedly carrying norovirus and other bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

3 of us in chez cupcake are in a heap with vomiting :( We don't know whether it was the cream in the cake we had for dessert, or some fancy cheese. Either way, we're all in rag order :(

Tbh there's a really good chance that could actually be norovirus, once one person gets it usually other people living in the same house get infected (unless you're really diligent with disinfecting surfaces) very quickly.

I had winter vomiting bug once, when I was 8, and have had food poisoning twice. Thankfully in all instances I was at home when the symptoms began, but I have a proper all-encompassing fear that I will catch norovirus and that I will inevitably vomit in public because everyone seems to be catching it now :( Is vomiting in public really really terrifying? I feel like it would be?

In terms of the food poisoning, in the first instance McDonald's was the culprit and in the second instance it was Eddie Rocket's. Who says fast food is bad for you, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Were they Moy Park Chicken Kievs?

They do have me bent over in pain any time I eat them. Very strange...

Yet you still eat them. Very strange...

• Administrators Posts: 53,507 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Well, got a great dose of it this Christmas.

Had a chicken kiev for dinner on Sunday 23rd. By Monday night I was vomiting, diarrhoea so spent Christmas eve on the loo :( It was a 2-pack of chicken kievs from Dunnes and the plan was to have the second one for lunch Monday - thank God I forgot about it!

Felt little bit better Christmas day, managed some dinner around 6pm but still not 100%.

Hopefully I will be feeling better tonight.

A friend of mine got food poisoning on a flight from Singapore to London after having a curry in Singapore the night before she left. I don't think I ever understood how bad that must have been. At least I was at home!!!

Any horror food poisoning stories???
    Too much of a delayed reaction for it to be food poisoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

looksee wrote: »
    OP, you started vomiting etc 24 hours after the chicken kiev. If you had food poisoning it would have been around 6 hours.

A lot of people have the vomiting bug and that is more likely what it was than blaming Dunnes.

If you don't want to spread it around be serious about washing your hands after using the loo and before touching food. I also go and automatically wash my hands when I come into the house. A quick rinse under the tap is not washing your hands, you need soap and a proper wash. Get some disinfectant or bleach or whatever you have, dilute it and clean the door handles, the taps, the flush handle and the toilet. Wash your cups etc with hot water and detergent.

Yes, I know, fuss fuss fuss. I am not an obsessive cleaner but I also don't get tummy bugs. Your choice.

Hang on a sec, I said it was Dunnes because I ate a chicken kiev that I remembered tasted strange. I also stated that I probably undercooked it, so I am not BLAMING Dunnes.

I have had food poisoning twice in my life and am aware of hand washing techniques (I work in a hospital two days a week) :p

The sickness came on smack bang within the time range of food poisoning, which, for salmonella is:

People become ill 8 to 48 hours after exposure and the illness can last up to 2 weeks. However, most people have recovered within 2 to 5 days.

It is not 'around 6 hours' at all.

Annnnnnnyway, feeling much better - had a fry this morning and all kept down. The other thing has cleared up as well. :p

Hope the rest of you that were struck down with sickness are now on the mend.

Oh, and thankfully, no I am not pregnant. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Winter vomiting bug rather than food poisoning.

Winter vomiting bug makes you feel awful for 72 hours whereas food poisoning generally lasts 24 hours.
    With norovirus you wouldn't even have the energy to post on Boards.

awec wrote: »
    Too much of a delayed reaction for it to be food poisoning.

Again, no, 8-48 hours. It was around 24 hours after eating the chicken that I was sick.

Hang on a sec, I said it was Dunnes because I ate a chicken kiev that I remembered tasted strange. I also stated that I probably undercooked it, so I am not BLAMING Dunnes.

I have had food poisoning twice in my life and am aware of hand washing techniques (I work in a hospital two days a week) :p

The sickness came on smack bang within the time range of food poisoning, which, for salmonella is:

People become ill 8 to 48 hours after exposure and the illness can last up to 2 weeks. However, most people have recovered within 2 to 5 days.

It is not 'around 6 hours' at all.

Annnnnnnyway, feeling much better - had a fry this morning and all kept down. The other thing has cleared up as well. :p

Hope the rest of you that were struck down with sickness are now on the mend.

Oh, and thankfully, no I am not pregnant. :D

My fry. I must have that (thanks for the reminder). Always have a boxing day fry breakfast but there wasn't a holy hope in hell of that happening!

hdowney wrote: »
    My fry. I must have that (thanks for the reminder). Always have a boxing day fry breakfast but there wasn't a holy hope in hell of that happening!

You'll get there soon :) And it was delicious :)

Great link here on food poisoning:

http://www.familydoctor.co.nz/index.asp?U=conditions&A=32743

Get better soon and have that fry :p

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Aidric wrote: »
    Yet you still eat them. Very strange...

Hah, I ate them once and thought I was just having a bad day. Had them again, same story. Haven't touched a Moy Park Chicken Kiev since. Proper butcher kiev's are the only way to go.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Hah, I ate them once and thought I was just having a bad day. Had them again, same story. Haven't touched a Moy Park Chicken Kiev since. Proper butcher kiev's are the only way to go.

Wasn't Moy Park :D

Am over it all and back to normal. Will be much more careful in future about making sure food is thoroughly cooked.

Lesson learnt!!!!!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Ah me ole sunflower more than likely it was the dreaded vomiting bug as my friend up the road got it christmas night and he was all over the shop plopping and a plittering but it took him till last night to feel better.

It's a nasty one for sure but number one priority is always check the use by date and use the Neanderthal senses we all have such as smell next time as it could have been bogey food or the so-called winter bug. I got it 4 years ago and by jasus it still frightens me till this day.

The only way i can describe it is like being a huge sea tanker ejecting crap out the end and forwarding the bow to splutter out the same. ejection of fluids both ways lol it is one nasty pukeball thats for sure.

hope you feel ok now as it usually only lasts 2 days heavy hitting but 4 days if it's serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭FueledbyCoffee

Had salmonella a few years ago and was hospitalised for 10 days took me months to get over it - bad dose :(

Advertisement