Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food poisoning

Options
  • 26-12-2012 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

Well, got a great dose of it this Christmas.

Had a chicken kiev for dinner on Sunday 23rd. By Monday night I was vomiting, diarrhoea so spent Christmas eve on the loo :( It was a 2-pack of chicken kievs from Dunnes and the plan was to have the second one for lunch Monday - thank God I forgot about it!

Felt little bit better Christmas day, managed some dinner around 6pm but still not 100%.

Hopefully I will be feeling better tonight.

A friend of mine got food poisoning on a flight from Singapore to London after having a curry in Singapore the night before she left. I don't think I ever understood how bad that must have been. At least I was at home!!!

Any horror food poisoning stories???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Had a chicken kiev for dinner on Sunday 23rd. By Monday night I was vomiting, diarrhoea so spent Christmas eve on the loo :( It was a 2-pack of chicken kievs from Dunnes and the plan was to have the second one for lunch Monday - thank God I forgot about it!

Felt little bit better Christmas day, managed some dinner around 6pm but still not 100%.

Hopefully I will be feeling better tonight.

A friend of mine got food poisoning on a flight from Singapore to London after having a curry in Singapore the night before she left. I don't think I ever understood how bad that must have been. At least I was at home!!!

Any horror food poisoning stories???

You poor thing Sunflower27 - I hope you're going to sue the pants off Dunnes Stores :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You sure it's not the Norovirus? It's been doing the rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

How do you know it was the chicken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Winter vomiting bug rather than food poisoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

leahyl wrote: »
    You poor thing Sunflower27 - I hope you're going to sue the pants off Dunnes Stores :pac:
    Were her pants completely ruined?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

leahyl wrote: »

Sue Dunnes for not cooking her dinner?

OP, I got the vomiting bug on Christmas morning last year, ruined my Christmas dinner. It's no fun thing, freeze some turkey slices so you enjoy sambos when you're back on form.

hardCopy wrote: »
    Sue Dunnes for not cooking her dinner?

OP, I got the vomiting bug on Christmas morning last year, ruined my Christmas dinner. It's no fun thing, freeze some turkey slices so you enjoy sambos when you're back on form.

I was messing......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

No, I think it was the kiev. I ate it in a hurry as I was heading out sunday evening and I thought it tasted a bit funny at the time... but put it down to not eating them in ages.

The vomiting stopped after 4-5 bouts christmas eve night. The diarrhoea still kicking on a bit....

And it was more than likely me not cooking it properly that was the problem. :(

No, I think it was the kiev. I ate it in a hurry as I was heading out sunday evening and I thought it tasted a bit funny at the time... but put it down to not eating them in ages.

The vomiting stopped after 4-5 bouts christmas eve night. The diarrhoea still kicking on a bit....

And it was more than likely me not cooking it properly that was the problem. :(

Hope you feel better soon anyway - must be awful feeling so miserable around Christmas time and not being able to enjoy the biggest feast of the year - have a big feed once you're feeling up to it!:)

Ijust read a bit on the norovirus just then and it sounds very similar, so maybe it was that.

Either way, am glad the worst of it is over. I tell you, I never appreciate being well until I get sick.

Lost a few lbs though, so not all bad :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Ijust read a bit on the norovirus just then and it sounds very similar, so maybe it was that.

Either way, am glad the worst of it is over. I tell you, I never appreciate being well until I get sick.

Lost a few lbs though, so not all bad :D

I also had the noro virus diet over christmas. Not fun at all. The good thing is it seems to pass quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I woke up at 5am this morning with an awful attack of heartburn followed by vomiting and crapping like there's no tomorrow.
    Now I have an almighty headache and I'm too afraid to even have a cup of tea in case the spewing starts off again. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

3 of us in chez cupcake are in a heap with vomiting :( We don't know whether it was the cream in the cake we had for dessert, or some fancy cheese. Either way, we're all in rag order :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

chicken kievs from Dunnes

There's your problem. Dunnes stuff is mucky.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I also had the noro virus diet over christmas. Not fun at all. The good thing is it seems to pass quickly.

How long did it last? Glad you are better :)

I had a cup of tea this morning, and that is all I am having.

I have guests over tonight, from London. Bad timing or what.

Still, the worst of it is over, I think. They are not due till after6pm so I should feel a bit better by then. I haven't vomited since about 2am Christmas day.

I just feel weak, headachy and crampy now.

3 of us in chez cupcake are in a heap with vomiting :( We don't know whether it was the cream in the cake we had for dessert, or some fancy cheese. Either way, we're all in rag order :(

Feeling your pain... at least I have a bathroom to myself :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I had Delhi belly so bad this year I was afraid I'd live...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Hogata

@SunF... - Are u sure u are not pregnant ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

That doesn't sound like food poisoning, or at least not like what I know food poisoning to be.

I got it on Christmas Eve 3 or 4 years ago. I woke up during the night feeling awful. At first I was able to walk to the bathroom but soon I just lay on the floor there because I didn't have the energy to get back up.

I honestly have never been so sick and I'd say I didn't eat any food other than natural yoghurt and granola for a week after it. Lost loads of weight. It was absolutely horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

How long did it last? Glad you are better :)

I had a cup of tea this morning, and that is all I am having.

I have guests over tonight, from London. Bad timing or what.

Still, the worst of it is over, I think. They are not due till after6pm so I should feel a bit better by then. I haven't vomited since about 2am Christmas day.

I just feel weak, headachy and crampy now.

Thanks! Lasted 2 days roughly. I had stomach cramps, the feeling of want to get sick and general weakness and wanting to be looked after by girls...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Not food poisoning here but migraine. Spent all Christmas night hurling my guts up :( all the Christmas dinner wasted! Ended up in Caredoc I was so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Access Denied

Get some rehydration scahets like Dioralyte/Rapolyte into you today, it cuts the recovery time.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Were they Moy Park Chicken Kievs?

They do have me bent over in pain any time I eat them. Very strange...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Sounds like TB...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

My brother and I got it in Chile, then had to go on a 10 hour bus journey. Absolutely destroyed the jacks, it was horrific, sick for about 10 days I'd say. Don't ever buy egg salad from street vendors.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JayReale

Had a chicken kiev for dinner on Sunday 23rd. By Monday night I was vomiting, diarrhoea so spent Christmas eve on the ...

Vomiting diarrhoea??? Sounds very nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

hdowney wrote: »
    Not food poisoning here but migraine. Spent all Christmas night hurling my guts up :( all the Christmas dinner wasted! Ended up in Caredoc I was so bad.

Ah that sucks H, sorry to hear that, hope you feel a bit better now. :(

Same goes for sunflower, and anyone else feeling dodgy. Horrible time for it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Ah that sucks H, sorry to hear that, hope you feel a bit better now. :(

Same goes for sunflower, and anyone else feeling dodgy. Horrible time for it to happen.

Thanks Chat :)
    I spent all yesterday in a haze, I couldn't move I was so weak and whatnot. Eventually crawled back into my bed by half 9!!! I still feel a bit weak today (although a heck of a lot better) and hopefully have something of an appetite back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OP, you started vomiting etc 24 hours after the chicken kiev. If you had food poisoning it would have been around 6 hours.

A lot of people have the vomiting bug and that is more likely what it was than blaming Dunnes.

If you don't want to spread it around be serious about washing your hands after using the loo and before touching food. I also go and automatically wash my hands when I come into the house. A quick rinse under the tap is not washing your hands, you need soap and a proper wash. Get some disinfectant or bleach or whatever you have, dilute it and clean the door handles, the taps, the flush handle and the toilet. Wash your cups etc with hot water and detergent.

Yes, I know, fuss fuss fuss. I am not an obsessive cleaner but I also don't get tummy bugs. Your choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

My one and only experience of food poisoning was the week before I got married. Brought the hubbie to be out for dinner for his birthday. Sick on both ends. :( Could hardly look at food all week, low on energy and had last minute wedding prep and visitors all week. I lost quite a bit of weight and my wedding dress was loose on me on the wedding day.

Advertisement