Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nas

Options
  • 25-12-2012 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

In your opinion, what is Nas's best song?

I'd go with Hero or One Mic.

He's underrated in my opinion, should be up there with 2pac and Biggie
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Purple, lyrically just plain brilliant and I love the beat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Purple, lyrically just plain brilliant and I love the beat

Haven't listened to it, I'll have a listen now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I wouldn't call nas under rated tbh, he gets the props for what he is which is one of the goats... He's already up their with Pac and biggie and is arguably better.

Favourite songs would be.... Memory lane, dance, you can hate me now , made you look and get down.

I can't pick one , too many to chose from but there the ones that get the most spins from me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

My favourite Nas song is either Halftime or NY state of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Nas is better than both Tupac and Biggie, in my opinion. My favourite song of his is probably It Ain't Hard To Tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

You're Da Man off Stillmatic

Nas is better than both Tupac and Biggie, in my opinion. My favourite song of his is probably It Ain't Hard To Tell.

the original version of it aint hard to tell is too good.

LUPE wrote: »
    You're Da Man off Stillmatic

+1 - One of my favourites!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

NY state of mind, life's a bitch, it aint hard to tell, the message, get down, ether, one mic too many to choose from.

He's not underrated. Every rap circle knows he one of the goat. IMO he doesnt have a better 'presence on the mic' or punchlines as biggie or subject matter and heart as 2pac. Better lyrist than 2pac but sometimes simplicity works better.

GiftofGab wrote: »
    NY state of mind, life's a bitch, it aint hard to tell, the message, get down, ether, one mic too many to choose from.

He's not underrated. Every rap circle knows he one of the goat. IMO he doesnt have a better 'presence on the mic' or punchlines as biggie or subject matter and heart as 2pac. Better lyrist than 2pac but sometimes simplicity works better.

Id agree with what your saying comparison wise to big and Pac ... one thing nas obviously has over both is longevity in the rap game and that has a lot to stand for !.

Big and PAC left on a high we never had the chance to see them decline musically or as we all so often say when a rapper hits that dip 'fall off'. It happens to them all at some stage in their careers , people just start doubting and saying he's not what use to be etc that would of happened with PAC and big no doubt IMO.

• Advertisement

Id agree with what your saying comparison wise to big and Pac ... one thing nas obviously has over both is longevity in the rap game and that has a lot to stand for !.

Big and PAC left on a high we never had the chance to see them decline musically or as we all so often say when a rapper hits that dip 'fall off'. It happens to them all at some stage in their careers , people just start doubting and saying he's not what use to be etc that would of happened with PAC and big no doubt IMO.

It's hard to believe that Biggie was 24 when he died. That's ridic.

I still think Nas was better than both, regardless. Greater vocabulary, a better storyteller and just an all-round better rapper.

It's hard to believe that Biggie was 24 when he died. That's ridic.

I still think Nas was better than both, regardless. Greater vocabulary, a better storyteller and just an all-round better rapper.

I couldn't pick between the 3 tbh, I think PAC is a better story teller than nas though and big's delivery was impeccable.

Also I honestly think jay z is overlooked, at least here on boards. He surly has enough quality music to be mentioned as an obvious goat.

I couldn't pick between the 3 tbh, I think PAC is a better story teller than nas though and big's delivery was impeccable.

Also I honestly think jay z is overlooked, at least here on boards. He surly has enough quality music to be mentioned as an obvious goat.

I dunno about Pac being a better storyteller. NY State of Mind alone would have Nas up there as one of the best storytellers, easily.

Jay-Z definitely doesn't get all the credit he deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I always liked Black Zombie

Actually take anything off The Lost Tapes tbh, especially Fetus which is an outstanding track

From his earlier stuff, NY State of Mind and The Message are definitely my favourite.

But my all time favourite has to Nas Is Like. Perfection.

It was probably one of the first tracks by him I heard. So many quotables but the one that stands out for me is always
    "Freedom or jail clips inserted a baby's being born//Same time my man is murdered the beginning and end". As soon as I heard that line I always knew Nas would be my favourite rapper. Best to ever do it imo...and ahead by a fair bit too. But that's not important. Legend regardless.

I dunno about Pac being a better storyteller. NY State of Mind alone would have Nas up there as one of the best storytellers, easily.

Jay-Z definitely doesn't get all the credit he deserves.

Suppose it's just down to opinion on who's the better storyteller.. Personally I think there was nobody better than PAC at painting a picture through his music , there's so many songs I could quote.

Nas is great too don't get me wrong but I think storytelling was pac's greatest attribute and there's not many IMO who I'd consider better but I suppose nas is worthy of a comparison alright. Even his latest album was great IMO, daughters etc some great storytelling on LIG , really got everything in their in regards to what's happened in recent years with kelis, bankruptcy etc.

Jay z's earlier work is nothing short of amazing... I'd honestly think he has more classic albums to his name than the majority of rappers.

Slick Rick is a better story teller than Pac.

Jay and Nas are also better than Pac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I personally always had Ghostface as the best story-teller in rap...

Jay Z is overrated IMO, labelled King of Rap and ****e like that... Nas owned him on Stillmatic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Couple of things:

1. Almost impossible to pick one favourite from Nas, though Nah Mean and Strong Will Continue from Distany Relatives, Get Down, NY State of Mind and Nas is Like are strong contenders.

2. Nas isn't underrated - he's roundly accepted as Top 5, Dead or Alive. And everybody knows two of the five are there mainly due to dying early.

3. Jay-Z isn't one of the G.O.A.T.'s. He is the G.O.A.T. Nobody has had the career, longevity and influence he has, not to mention the string of classic albums and songs. Biggie can't be compared after only two albums, one of which was classic.

4. Takeover > Ether. Takeover was a savage critical take down of Nas' whole career. Ether was full of untruths and playground insults.

5. Tupac definitely ain't the best story teller. I second Ghost (especially when combined with Rae) as one of the best story tellers ever. I still get a chuckle out of Ghost's verse on Gihad.

6. Ghost had the best verse on verbal intercourse. Stole the show in my book (not that Nas and Rae were slacking).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 dandynamo

I rate eminme as GOAT just above Jay Z. Nas hasnt had the mainstream appeal that the other two enjoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Have u heard Eminems flow and lyrics on rihanna's song called "Numb" ****ing brilliant and reminded me why eminem is my all time favourite.

Nas comes close too!!!

floggg wrote: »
    Couple of things:

1. Almost impossible to pick one favourite from Nas, though Nah Mean and Strong Will Continue from Distany Relatives, Get Down, NY State of Mind and Nas is Like are strong contenders.

2. Nas isn't underrated - he's roundly accepted as Top 5, Dead or Alive. And everybody knows two of the five are there mainly due to dying early.

3. Jay-Z isn't one of the G.O.A.T.'s. He is the G.O.A.T. Nobody has had the career, longevity and influence he has, not to mention the string of classic albums and songs. Biggie can't be compared after only two albums, one of which was classic.

4. Takeover > Ether. Takeover was a savage critical take down of Nas' whole career. Ether was full of untruths and playground insults.

5. Tupac definitely ain't the best story teller. I second Ghost (especially when combined with Rae) as one of the best story tellers ever. I still get a chuckle out of Ghost's verse on Gihad.

6. Ghost had the best verse on verbal intercourse. Stole the show in my book (not that Nas and Rae were slacking).

I agree on everything bar tupac.

I just have to give it to pac for the shear impact he's had on a lot of rappers and fans of todays generation. Im not saying others havnt had a impact but it wasnt as great or influencial as pac's. His music/storys came straight from the heart, really wore his heart on his sleeve and it reflected through his music so well.

We can debate all day about who's the best but i personally think its down to opinion, i listen to a bit of ghost too and love his solo work and i agree he's up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

The Don is without a doubt my favourite song of his...it brought me to him in the first place. He's also one of the first artists where I actually listen and appreciate his lyrics rather than solely just admiring the tunes of songs the whole time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Always had a soft spot for I Gave You Power, but anything off It Was Written is golden.

floggg wrote: »
    Takeover > Ether.

Don't agree with that at all.

kingcobra wrote: »
    The Don is without a doubt my favourite song of his...it brought me to him in the first place. He's also one of the first artists where I actually listen and appreciate his lyrics rather than solely just admiring the tunes of songs the whole time!

He has that effect alright drawing you in with some clever word play and story's, it's because he always has relevant substance behind his music and not just recycled talk.

Also the one thing I was always critical of nas was his ear for beats, it isn't the best at least imo anyway. Ye he's been on the end of a few bangers but the majority of his instrumental choices wouldn't be my cup of tea but like I said the content is nearly always top notch and makes up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

jay z or eminem the greatest? spare me

jay z or eminem the greatest? spare me

they're certainly up there.

Who do you reckon anyway? :)

• Advertisement

My favourite Nas tune next to Purple, real haunting beat, any Rae and Ghost fans might recognise the first verse.

Advertisement