Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Christmas Sales

Options
  • 25-12-2012 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭

Do any of you do the whole camping out in early hours of morning for post-Christmas Sales? I often think I would love to do something like that but there are never really any where I live and not so sure I would be safe to drive on Boxing Day!

I like the way more and more companies are offering their sales online so mite get my shopping fix that way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Having worked in retail in a previous life I'd have to say that I detest the bloody things, think the person who came up with the idea should be shot and the people who camp outside for them are gobshites of the highest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Asians love sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I think the only good one I knew of was Budget giving away a free or nearly free holiday. Dont get me wrong there may have been others but far too many are way over rated.

I'd NEVER queue up like that anyway. Like that as well, the availability of discounts online constantly, why would you bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

After Christmas sales used to be a big thing but that's changed in 2012 iv see so many sales signs up its nearly sales all year round in a lot of stores......but still il have my eye open

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Yeah always feel sorry for those having to work at them. Just love the whole adventure of it. Only time I have ever done anything like it was taking the kids to get the Harry Potter books at midnight release or going out early in morning for concert tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Support your overworked retail staff with no Christmas break- don't shop on Stephen's Day! Seriously, I'd love to see it die out as a trend. The wage bills are enormous, and moreso for shopping centres, it would be great if it became not worth their while opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Tesco have already set a Weighwatchers shelf display up. People haven't even had their turkey yet LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

WTF is Boxing Day? Did you type on boards.ie instead of .co.uk

Will you be spending you sterling too?

Support your overworked retail staff with no Christmas break- don't shop on Stephen's Day! Seriously, I'd love to see it die out as a trend. The wage bills are enormous, and moreso for shopping centres, it would be great if it became not worth their while opening.

It would never happen though, people are too greedy and vulture like to give it up now they have a taste for it.

The likes of Next etc deserve a petrol bombing for the 5am Stephens Day bollox though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

ted1 wrote: »

Ho ho ho....how hillllllarrrious! Have never been slagged for this before.

Tip: Buy some Lego in the sales, build a bridge etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

You know there's English websites? And you know the English Currency:mad:

You call yourself Irish...You'll be saying we speak the bloody same language next.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

I always love Boots january sales, mega cheap for what you get and I always come out with bags of stuff, and im a bit of a cheapskate when buying in there usually :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Gotta love the cynicism of companies - buy, buy, buy before Christmas, at full price. The calendar clicks over and prices get slashed. It's like they're riding everyone and then shouting about it the next day, to me. I cuss them though, I only buy Christmas presents in the january sales, everyone just gets an IOU in their xmas card. Ok, I don't, but I wish I could...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

pithater1 wrote: »

It would never happen though, people are too greedy and vulture like to give it up now they have a taste for it.

The likes of Next etc deserve a petrol bombing for the 5am Stephens Day bollox though
    Better be there at four all the good stuff is snapped up straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭littleteapot

We had to start setting up for our so called sale today before we were allowed to go home. The sale where I work is always terrible. Just full of **** we failed to sell all year. We're not open on Stephens day though, thank baby jesus. Two days off yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

With my interests being electronics and video games sales just bring the price closer to what it is on amazon. Im currently spending my money in the steam sale at the moment

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Next. That is all.
    I really feel for their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

When I get back to Ireland there'll be nothing left...

I suppose Tesco has their creme eggs on sale by now
    Yakult wrote: »
    Next. That is all.
    I really feel for their staff.
    Are they opening at 5am again?

Barna77 wrote: »
    When I get back to Ireland there'll be nothing left...

I suppose Tesco has their creme eggs on sale by now

Are they opening at 5am again?

6 this year I think. Still bloody disgusting.

I remember a few years back Brown Thomas got flooded on Stephens Day and had to abandon their sale, that filled my heart with joy

• Registered Users Posts: 3 xXCFXx

Hey, what are the opening hours of the shops and what shops will be open in Limerick City for St Stephens Day?????? #afterchristmassaleshopping :) Thanks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

xXCFXx wrote: »
    Hey, what are the opening hours of the shops and what shops will be open in Limerick City for St Stephens Day?????? #afterchristmassaleshopping :) Thanks..

Did you not get the memo? Stay home and have a drink- support retail staff! You should expect hours along the lines of 10-6. Individual shops and centres will have their hours online. You can expect pretty much every high street shop and department store to open- except Dunnes. They will ALL be open on the 27th and the vast majority of stock is crap that didn't sell, or even specially shipped in crap from warehouses or other stores.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I don't know why people really bother with the sales on Stephens day, be at home with your families!

Next, for example, have big warehouses full of specific sale stick that's put out in the floor for a month at "full price" and then is massively discounted. Nearly all retailers do the same. The majority of the stuff was never really at "full price"

pithater1 wrote: »
    xXCFXx wrote: »

Exhibit A...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Sure Im outside Lidl now, c'mon hurry up.....I need a reduced pack of salmon and a drill!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

I feel bad for the retail staff but I care more about getting **** on the cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

HoggyRS wrote: »
    Generally, **** is exactly what you do get in the sales.

Exhibit B...

Honest tae fuck this country is filled full of self centered vultures

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yeah but you try going to work for 6am on Stephens day. It's not fun :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

ted1 wrote: »

Wednesday is boxing day innit mate? my team man utd will be on the box as well guv..tis boxing day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

To all the Christmas Eve shoppers, the last minute panic buyers, the closing time door rattlers, the abusers, the 5am risers, the Stephen's Day bargain hunters and the unwanted gift returners.

Fuck you.

Sincerely,
    Everyone who has, does or will ever work in retail.

Advertisement