Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Releases

Options
  • 24-12-2012 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭

The new year is nearly upon us. What new releases (or possible new releases) are you looking forward to in 2013?

My most anticipated are:

The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law (Jan. 21)
    Villagers - Awayland (Jan. 14)
    Yo La Tengo - Fade (Jan. 15)
    My Bloody Valentine - TBA (TBA)
    Camera Obscura - TBA (TBA)

I'm also hoping for new albums from Tool, Arcade Fire, Wild Beasts and The Antlers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

biffy clyro's new one, double album.

they've gone a bit like weezer, still hold out hope for a good album like the golden years only to be disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

The Knife's new album Shaking the Habitual is out in April. Everything else shall pale in comparison! :D Though am interested to hear new MBV too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

biffy clyro's new one, double album.

they've gone a bit like weezer, still hold out hope for a good album like the golden years only to be disappointed.
    Yeah I kind of lost interest in them after Puzzles. Only Revolutions had a few good tracks but it was nowhere near as good as any of their first 3 albums. Not sure if I want to listen to their new one or not.

Also out soon: Tegan and Sara - Heartthrob. I heard that single they released a couple of months ago and I thought it was terrible. They seem to have gone all electro-pop and not in a good way. I'm actually very wary about this new album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I have high hopes for the new Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds album. Eels are releasing one too which should be good, seems like Mr E's reverting back to a Souljacker type of sound.

Nothing confirmed but there are a lot of signs that a new Pixies album is on the way. Should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

My Bloody Valentine won't be releasing a new album next year, or ever.

Announced I'm mainly looking forward to Atoms For Peace's debut, Arcade Fire's next and Thao & the Get Down Stay Down's We The Common.

Hoping to see new albums from She & Him, Beach Boys, the Pains of Being Pure at Heart, U2, Kraftwerk and maybe Stone Roses too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

I can't wait for the The Raven that Refused to Sing (and other stories) by Steven Wilson. (Feb)

Wilson himself and some of the finest musicians in the world including Marco Minneman and Guthrie Govan in his band. And feckin Alan parsons is producing it! It could be a cracker. He seems more and more like the new Frank Zappa by the day.

If that MBV album comes out I'll look forward to that. If it doesn't I'll probably think Kevin Shields is a twat. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I can't wait for the The Raven that Refused to Sing (and other stories) by Steven Wilson. (Feb)

Wilson himself and some of the finest musicians in the world including Marco Minneman and Guthrie Govan in his band. And feckin Alan parsons is producing it! It could be a cracker. He seems more and more like the new Frank Zappa by the day.

If that MBV album comes out I'll look forward to that. If it doesn't I'll probably think Kevin Shields is a twat. :D

Guthrie Govan, now there's a name I haven't heard in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Biffy Clyro - Opposites
    Everything Everything - Arc
    Foals - Holy Fire
    Villagers - Awayland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Guthrie Govan, now there's a name I haven't heard in a while!

He's in the Aristocrats now with Marco and another guy. Jam band kind of a thing. Looks interesting.

MBV have mastered their album now according to their FB page. It could be very soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭mosstin

The Invisible Way - Low.
    Also the fact that Arcade Fire's new album will heavily feature James Murphy from LCD Soundsystem augurs well.
    The forthcoming Yo La Tengo record is easily their most complete record since And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out. Beautiful.
    I begin every year hoping that this will be the one that sees the release of a new Avalanches record....2001's a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭mosstin

He's in the Aristocrats now with Marco and another guy. Jam band kind of a thing. Looks interesting.

MBV have mastered their album now according to their FB page. It could be very soon!

Yup, only another decade now until Shields is happy with the album art and we can all party like it's 1991.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

The Knife's new album Shaking the Habitual is out in April. Everything else shall pale in comparison! :D Though am interested to hear new MBV too.

Loved the first album was so different from all the other electronic stuff,found them through Royskopp who I was mad into at the time.Any singles released or due from it yet?
    Local Natives another with new album out soon and a sold out feb gig in Whelans.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭J. Football

I would hope NO CEREMONY/// release their debut album in 2013. They've been steadily releasing new songs every couple of months over the past year and it's some of the best material I've heard in years. Haven't looked forward to an album like this in quite some time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

the bigs one for me is foals - holy fire , the knife - Shaking the Habitual , and the weeknd - TBA

Also coming soon:

Grouper - The Man Who Died In His Boat (Feb. 4). An album comprising of unreleased material recorded around the time of Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill (which is also being re-released on the same date after being out of print for a few years).

Esben and the Witch - Wash the Sins Not Only the Face (Jan. 21). The follow-up to their debut Violet Cries. Violet Cries showed a lot of potential but I'm really hoping that they build on that and deliver an amazing album.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Low have a new album 'The Invisible Way' which is due for release on the 18th of March in the UK so presumably we get it on the 15th. Produced by Jeff Tweedy of Wilco... looking forward to this.

http://pitchfork.com/news/48735-low-announce-new-album-the-invisible-way-produced-by-wilcos-jeff-tweedy/

I see a few tracks already on youtube too...

Low - Amethyst

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I would hope NO CEREMONY/// release their debut album in 2013. They've been steadily releasing new songs every couple of months over the past year and it's some of the best material I've heard in years. Haven't looked forward to an album like this in quite some time.

Got into them thru Richie Egan (Jape) recommending them on Twitter, DELIVERUS is a fantastic track. And now we finally know who they are and what they look like after being shrouded in mystery there for a while.

Also looking forward to the new albums from Low, Foals and Camera Obscura. Wasn't a fan of Villagers before but heard a few new tracks and they sound good too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Got into them thru Richie Egan (Jape) recommending them on Twitter, DELIVERUS is a fantastic track. And now we finally know who they are and what they look like after being shrouded in mystery there for a while.

Also looking forward to the new albums from Low, Foals and Camera Obscura. Wasn't a fan of Villagers before but heard a few new tracks and they sound good too.

That is a tune, cheers for that.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

The new Yo La Tengo is streaming on Pitchfork...

http://pitchfork.com/advance/1-fade/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

T
    H
    E
    K
    N
    I
    F
    E

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I would love to hear another album by The The. I miss Matt Johnson

RikkFlair wrote: »

er ..who are they? Remember there was talk of radiohead members being involved..

New Bowie (!), Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Eels and possible MBV and Pixies albums this Springtime.. gonna be interesting.

Queens of Stone age new album due ..date unknown ..not expecting anything amazing from them..
    Bad Religion an old fav of mine have a new disc out as well..so that makes it 4231 albums from those guys.

New Bowie (!), Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Eels and possible MBV and Pixies albums this Springtime.. gonna be interesting.

Now that would be great..lets wait and see!
    Great username btw!

Wait wait what what?? :eek:

notnumber wrote: »
    Now that would be great..lets wait and see!
    Great username btw!
    Zero1986 wrote: »
    Wait wait what what?? :eek:

Nothing confirmed but there have been a lot of promising signs. Biggest of which is Black Francis and Joey Santiago being spotted in Gil Norton's recording studio in Wales. BF said about a year ago he was taking a break to concentrate on some "serious songwriting", while the following quotes hint at something new too:
    http://thequietus.com/articles/08613-frank-black-favourite-albums-the-pixies

Black’s been writing songs for his next project after the second Grand Duchy album, Let The People Speak, which he’s promoting today: “I have to decide to write a song and it takes me a while to get going. I’m writing a lot of songs right now. My family finds it a little difficult to communicate with me at these points. The next recording session is going to very important. I haven’t made demos like this in years! I’m trying to wow people right now. I’m trying right now to make a good record. I’m overdue.”
    "Mr. Francis and myself have been keeping busy. Black is in a studio in Wales currently recording an album that by all accounts is going to be a magnificent return to form (whatever that means)."

_______

"Mr. Francis has been in the studio quite a bit lately himself, making demos for a project that does not involve me, but will no doubt involve ALL of you listening with euphoria to the finished product. The demo-ing process for this particular record has been literally YEARS in the making. Who does that unless its something pretty BIG? Recording of this record is taking place in the fall. I'm sure it will be falling into your hands around springtime...."
    Violet Clark (his wife) on Facebook
    http://www.examiner.com/article/jeremy-dubs-has-spoken

The mercurial Dubs, has spent the last two weeks holed up at Easthampton recording studio, Sonelab, assisting Pixies frontman, Black, on a batch of demos for a new album. Dub says, “I got to play drums, bass, keyboards, sing backing vocals, and do lots of other super fun stuff. Needless to say, it was a real life dream come true.”
    "I said a couple months back in my post that the new album demos were nearly done and I was correct. My source? A sound engineer from LA who has set aside a few months to work on the album VERY soon. And the other worst kept secret in rock in a world tour for the new album in 2013. I for one am looking forward to hearing some fresh material amongst the old stuff to see how it stacks up."
    -Some guy on a forum.

Other hints include some French magazine briefly mentioning a new album and the Kodaline guys seeing "Pixies" next door to them in Wales.

A few things argue against a new album: Kim Deal's previous reluctance to add anything to the "legacy" and the forthcoming Breeders tour commemorating Last Splash.

It could be a new BF solo record with added Santiago but he doesn't usually take a whole year to make one album.

Of course, it's also possible they recorded a new one and didn't feel it was up to scratch so scrapped it. All speculation, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Suede are releasing a brand new album in March called Bloodsports. For me they were the best band of the 90's and they are still my favourite band but I don't think this can end well. Still though, I'm sure there will be at least one or two gems to add to their vast collection of classic tunes.

notnumber wrote: »
    er ..who are they? Remember there was talk of radiohead members being involved..

They're not anyone well known as was rumoured (Radiohead etc) although Joey Santiago of The Pixies plays guitar on one track

http://www.mudkiss.com/noceremonysalford.htm

• Advertisement

The new Yo La Tengo is streaming on Pitchfork...

http://pitchfork.com/advance/1-fade/

Sounds absolutely brilliant, and I rarely say that after a first listen

Advertisement