Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Releases

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Everythings Everythings second album 'Arc' is out in a few days, I was going to go out and get it anyway, but having listened to a leak the last few days it is truly brilliant, and has been getting some outstanding reviews online too.

Stunning album.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Sounds absolutely brilliant, and I rarely say that after a first listen

Yay. Bodes well for the gig in March then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

ridiculous name but sounds good.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I didn't actually listen to it on Pitchfork, I was about to the other night but my wife kicked me off the computer :mad: I picked it up today in Tower and a few tracks in and loving it... a little disappointed that they have no epic 10+ minute tracks on it but what can you do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Forgot about this! Cool. I like the last few albums. Saw them in the pod or tripod (??) a few years ago. It was a really good gig...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,881 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

new Boards of Canada strongly rumoured to be on the way, which would be great.

also looking forward to new The Knife and we're due something from Gruff Rhys (or SFA)

I hope the Pixies don't release anything new - the track they recorded when they reformed was terrible. Also the first track from the new Suede album is pretty poor, but in truth I wasn't mad on anything they did after Bernard Butler left.

Tony Fenton mentioned a few weeks back about a new SFA record this year. Hopefully it'll be better than the last two, which were *meh*. Lovekraft was the last really good one (and the ones before that obviously).

Gruff's solo albums are good, but mental, as usual...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

seachto7 wrote: »
    Forgot about this! Cool. I like the last few albums. Saw them in the pod or tripod (??) a few years ago. It was a really good gig...

I missed the last album, but have a few before that....also there was a good double CD compilation out a few years ago covering a lot of their earlier 80s stuff too.

I love how "I Am Not Afraid of you...." both starts and ends with 10 minute epics.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I love Yo La Tengo epics, sadly missing from this latest album... strange seeing it clock in at only 40 something minutes.

Tony Fenton mentioned a few weeks back about a new SFA record this year. Hopefully it'll be better than the last two, which were *meh*. Lovekraft was the last really good one (and the ones before that obviously).

Gruff's solo albums are good, but mental, as usual...

I'd take the opposite view - didn't like LoveKraft, preferred the last 2 (& thought Gruff solo albums were better than any of the recent SFA records - Hotel Shampoo in particular was excellent.)

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    (& thought Gruff solo albums were better than any of the recent SFA records - Hotel Shampoo in particular was excellent.)

Agreed. Hotel Shampoo is great, as is Candylion

I love Yo La Tengo epics, sadly missing from this latest album... strange seeing it clock in at only 40 something minutes.

Picked it up in HMV today. For old times sake! :(

notnumber wrote: »
    ridiculous name but sounds good.

Comes from a basball player way back who shouted "Yo La Tengo", which means "I got it". He couldn't speak English and was playing in America. I think the guys in YLT are big baseball fans.....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Cracking album it is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

The new Yo La Tengo is streaming on Pitchfork...

http://pitchfork.com/advance/1-fade/

Just gave Fade a spin there. First time listening to Yo La Tengo, and was impressed great variety on that record. Can't wait to hear their earlier stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

karaokeman wrote: »
    Just gave Fade a spin there. First time listening to Yo La Tengo, and was impressed great variety on that record. Can't wait to hear their earlier stuff.
    Just wait until you hear Painful and I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One, you will fall in love with them.

I like the new album, it doesn't quite reach the heights of their 90's material but for a band that been around for nearly 30 years their output is still fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

karaokeman wrote: »

You're in for such a treat. They're a brilliant, brilliant band and are coming to Dublin in March. Go see them, witness Ira in full shredding mode on guitar and be happy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

You're in for such a treat. They're a brilliant, brilliant band and are coming to Dublin in March. Go see them, witness Ira in full shredding mode on guitar and be happy.

I've only started listening to them recently and I reckon I may pick up a ticket for this.

Apart from the last 3 albums, including the latest YLT record, I only have the double album compilation, which is BRILLIANT, I might add... NOt to take this thread off topic.....

Apart from the last 3 albums, including the latest YLT record, I only have the double album compilation, which is BRILLIANT, I might add... NOt to take this thread off topic.....
    Prisoners of Love? That was my introduction to the band, excellent compilation.

• Advertisement

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Prisoners of Love? That was my introduction to the band, excellent compilation.

That's it. I was thinking of going for their 3 "good" albums in the 90s, but Prisoners of Love has bits of them on it, so not sure...

It's not like I listen to them a whole lot, but when I do, I always wonder why I don't listen to them a lot.

If anyone is digging the new Yo La Tengo record, here are some live performances on Jimmy Fallon. "I'll Be Around" is just beautiful:

http://www.ifc.com/shows/portlandia/blog/2013/01/watch-portlandias-fred-armisen-play-with-yo-la-tengo-on-late-night-with-jimmy-fallon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Just listened to Fade. It's a lovely album and, to use a cheesy simile, like having a nice warm blanket wrapped around you. Two Trains is just brilliant.

Gonna absorb Fade some more before delving into some of their older albums. So far I've only heard the fantastic I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One and the Today Is The Day EP so it's an exciting prospect.

"Prisoners of Love" is worth checking out. A compilation

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

Queens of the stone age's next album, has Dave Grohl, Trent Reznor among others involved, could potentially give Songs for the Deaf a run for its money..

Queens of the stone age's next album, has Dave Grohl, Trent Reznor among others involved, could potentially give Songs for the Deaf a run for its money..
    I just read that Nick Oliveri will be contributing to the album, it's great to have his naked ass back. All it needs is some Mark Lanegan and it will be Songs For The Deaf all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Zero1986 wrote: »
    I just read that Nick Oliveri will be contributing to the album, it's great to have his naked ass back. All it needs is some Mark Lanegan and it will be Songs For The Deaf all over again.

Think its just some vocals for Nick, but it points more SFTD-esque material. I'd prefer more LTP type myself, but new QOTSA is good enough for me.

loyatemu wrote: »
    ...we're due something from Gruff Rhys (or SFA)

New Gruff album turns out to be new Neon Neon album, which is no bad thing as the first one was great.

http://neonneonofficial.tumblr.com/

Advertisement