Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not interested or just out of your league?

Options
  • 24-12-2012 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

So do you guys ever feel if you are turned down by a very attractive girl, its because she's "out of your league" or does it occur to you that you just happen to find that person attractive but they don't feel the same way.

I still here some people raving on about this said quote, but is it just a dramatic movie quote that was blown out of proportion, or does it often hold through to life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

It would be that she is not attracted to me for whatever reason.

It's not a big deal, I'm not attracted to loads of people, and I don't go on about leagues or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

I would say I am not attracted to about 90%+ of women out there. So it's going to be the same for everyone - some people will get ya going but many more won't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Lets just say if I was to try it with someone thinks that there's a league as such, I wouldn't be taking them to a home fixture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

No such things as leagues, IMO. Looks and personality attraction is all subjective, so what I love, somebody else may hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Leagues are for sports events.

And attraction is subjective. What might make one person weak at the knees might make another shudder at the thought of physical contact.

• Advertisement

I also do not go in for the idea of "leagues". I think that is just a framework people construct to either explain away a rejection or to make excuses for not even trying in the first place.

People are like jig saw pieces. They will either fit together or they will not. And it is rare to be able to predict which way it will go in any situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

There's nothing like meeting someone new who you think doesn't really float your boat and finding that the more you speak, the more you realise how foolish you would have been to rely on physical attraction alone. The mind blower is when you realise that it can work both ways.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Honestly guys as someone who is finished his dating I can tell you for sure that looks mean absolutely nothing unless what you want is a one night stand. I have seen classic beauties bore the hind legs off a horse and girls I wouldn't initially be attracted to turn into the most beautiful people once you get to know them. For long term it is finding someone who doesn't drive you up the wall.
    So there are no leagues. There is a bit of snobbery in some of the nite club meat markets but given the right circumstances the most nervous guy can end up with the most stunning girl and vice versa. I have seen it happen over and over.
    So be yourself. Not everyone will like you but the right people will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭goingpostal1

Usually if I see a really attractive woman, I immediately assume she is already taken. It is rarer than hens teeth to find a stunning-looking lady who is genuinely, totally single. Anyway, average-looking women with big bums are best in bed. Just my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Glad to see so many people agree the "out of your league" ideology is fantasy.

I agree it is rare that women you may find stunning are single, unless (and it can happen) you first meet that stunning woman pretty soon after a breakup (and it has to be soon), you just may get lucky.

Having said that I have liked a fair few who a vast majority would either consider average looking or borderline unattractive.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder at the end of the day, a few others many consider to be the best looking I consider average and vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I'll put it like this, sometimes the girls are Premier League standard, and I'm Johnstone Paint Trophy standard
    So yeah, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy out of my league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    No such things as leagues, IMO. Looks and personality attraction is all subjective, so what I love, somebody else may hate.

+1 could not agree more , we are all unique

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Looks are so ****ing unfair. I wish everyone was equally attractive.
    I'll put it like this, sometimes the girls are Premier League standard, and I'm Johnstone Paint Trophy standard
    So yeah, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy out of my league.

You still get a shot with the FA cup every year. You perform really well, she's going through a rough patch and exercises extremely bad judgement, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm not sure I believe in this out of your league thing but on the other hand, if a woman is very good looking the chances are that the guy she is with is good looking as well.

Personally I've never bothered approaching a stunning looking woman as I'm realistic and know I wouldn't have a hope of getting anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Testify

I'm not sure I believe in this out of your league thing but on the other hand, if a woman is very good looking the chances are that the guy she is with is good looking as well.

Personally I've never bothered approaching a stunning looking woman as I'm realistic and know I wouldn't have a hope of getting anywhere.

Bull****. It's more about personality than people think. Anyone can get with an attractive girl if they have charm and confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭goingpostal1

Looks fade, dumb lasts forever. She might be a stunner at 25, but chances are she won't be turning too many heads at 45. Paying a little attention to personality and temperment and her monetary demands/expectations, goes a long, long, long way.

karaokeman wrote: »
    I agree it is rare that women you may find stunning are single, unless you first meet that stunning woman pretty soon after a breakup

Fact of life.
    karaokeman wrote: »
    you just may get lucky.

Lucky if you're trying to bed a fit bird, then sure. Your motivations at different times vary. You might be focusing all your attentions on someone who might dismiss you out of hand because you don't satisfy the prerequisites.
    Testify wrote: »
    Bull****. It's more about personality than people think. Anyone can get with an attractive girl if they have charm and confidence.

Just like the people who tell you that anyone can sing are those who can sing!

This is all about balance. The numbers game is a dangerous thing and you shouldn't discriminate against someone because of their good looks. You may end up making each other very happy.

Pursuing good looking women can be a shortcut to pain alright. Some people will dismiss you if they don't like the cut of your jib, because they know if they are in high demand, someone else will be along shortly. It skews people away from true compatibility. Some will never know what it means to be a fully formed person because everything around them tells them they're wonderful and desirable but it's often just artificial. I mean males and females, btw.

The point is that you might be doing yourself a major disservice by focussing your attention firstly on the ones who are 'out of your league' or those who are likely to have a parade of guys approach them on a night out. Conversely, if you spend a lot of time single and trying to find love, you may as well go mad! Shur you have the same chances of pulling that gorgeous bird on the other side of the bar same as any of them! This is counter-productive. In short, attraction is important but never let yourself be distracted by good looks, it's actually irrelevant to real attraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

The sad reality is there are such things as leagues but a lot of people can push above their weight, depends on personality though, you have to have a top notch personality, and/or be respected/known.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

cantdecide wrote: »
    There's nothing like meeting someone new who you think doesn't really float your boat and finding that the more you speak, the more you realise how foolish you would have been to rely on physical attraction alone. The mind blower is when you realise that it can work both ways.

That's how I met my half, yes she was attractive but not my 'type' looks wise...... Or so I thought until we couldn't keep our hands off each other ;-)

I remember a colleague constantly marking a particular girl as a boweler and a minger lol ... Funny thing was he ended up mad in love with her lol

Jesus even the most plain people can turn into hot property when you get to know them .

No it's not bull****, so you think a weedy little Woody Allen lookalike whould get with someone like Rosanna Davidson with "charm and confidence"?

Ain't gonna happen.

• Advertisement

No it's not bull****, so you think a weedy little Woody Allen lookalike whould get with someone like Rosanna Davidson with "charm and confidence"?

Ain't gonna happen.

It's been done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Ain't gonna happen.

It may not happen that often but it does happen.

I personally know a couple of blokes that wouldnt be considered "good looking" but have pulled girls that most would say would be out of their league,one of whom is getting married to one of the girls next year.

The blokes in question are all top notch and as sound a person as you would ever wish to meet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Look up Woody Allens exes on the oul google. Some fine looking women in their day and Diane Keaton is no slouch in the looks dept even today. I can think of any number of examples from my own life where men had objectively better looking partners than themselves(they were't all rich either). Funny enough way more men with women "out of their league" than the other way around. That seems to be much rarer. In general though people tend to end up with similar in the looks dept. More than one study has shown this trend.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Looks do play a factor. Anyone who says they don't is looking at it with rose-tinted glasses (or, in the likes of Galwayguy's case, a defeatist attitude).

BUT...the factor they play isn't major. If you're looking for a girl in a club, a stunning-looking girl is more inclined to give you time of day if you're traditionally good-looking (with on-trend style and haircut to match). That still doesn't mean it's impossible to get time of day off them if you don't have that look, though. You just have to get creative then.

That paragraph right there is really the only factor looks play in attracting someone. That's it.

Once you're talking to someone, it's all about you. I can think of countless women who I haven't fancied initially who I later grew attracted to because of their personality. I'd then notice attractive things about them that I wouldn't have to begin with. And I'd probably look at them, months/years since I last spoke to them, and think the same. And I think the same applies to women too. I wouldn't consider myself traditionally good-looking (though I think I'm decent in making myself 'look good', if that makes sense) but I've punched above my weight enough to know that no girl is really 'out of my league'. As such I wouldn't treat them that way, it's easier to get talking to them, etc etc.

Of course, long-term the way you look can also give key indicators as to other things in your personality that people may find unattractive. Our bodies are a diary, after all. So, for example, if you are overweight, it MAY also be an indicator that you are lazy and/or lacking self-confidence in certain areas (it may not, also). So you have to think about that, too.

@Galwayguy35: I really feel your pain. People will talk down to you and tell you it's because you're doing something wrong and I know that it's just not that simple a lot of the time. Like that gag that went around that time 'Always be yourself- unless you're Batman- then always be Batman". Some of are just not made for pulling women. God knows I'm that guy.

The only advice I'll give you is to forget about leagues and forget about attraction, just approach women [that you don't find repulsive] and just make sure they seem approachable and nice and interesting even if they're out of your league. I might get some flack for this but if you see a group of girls all out in their finery each one more gorgeous than the last, give them a miss! Where you see groups of women dressed sensibly with varying levels of looks and shapes and sizes, you'll find character. This has always been my experience.

It's been done.

Examples?

Friends and acquaintances. It's not impossible. A man who walks into a club full of confidence, who looks like he's having fun, with social proof can easily pull a woman if he can hold conversation

cantdecide wrote: »
    @Galwayguy35: I really feel your pain. People will talk down to you and tell you it's because you're doing something wrong and I know that it's just not that simple a lot of the time. Like that gag that went around that time 'Always be yourself- unless you're Batman- then always be Batman". Some of are just not made for pulling women. God knows I'm that guy.

The only advice I'll give you is to forget about leagues and forget about attraction, just approach women [that you don't find repulsive] and just make sure they seem approachable and nice and interesting even if they're out of your league. I might get some flack for this but if you see a group of girls all out in their finery each one more gorgeous than the last, give them a miss! Where you see groups of women dressed sensibly with varying levels of looks and shapes and sizes, you'll find character. This has always been my experience.

Well I was talking more in general than personally but I suppose if I'm honest about it (and it's easy on a forum like this where noone knows anyone personally) then yeah rejection isn't always easy to take and as men we are destined to suffer it more than women.

Friends and acquaintances. It's not impossible. A man who walks into a club full of confidence, who looks like he's having fun, with social proof can easily pull a woman if he can hold conversation

I think that's where dating sites come up short, someone is dismissed immediately based on looks alone, it doesn't matter what they might have said in the first mail/contact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

tbh though i'd rather have a good personality than looks. im better looking than loads of lads i know, with much better style but i find it hard to talk with people, especially girls. i just can't engage with em'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement