Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats: What does your opinion say about you?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

My opinion about cats has been formed by years of being around them, and the experiences were mostly positive - and so my opinion is positive, too. If you haven't had the experience - with any pet - you have the right to an opinion, but I have no obligation to give it any of my time. :p

It doesn't hurt that cats like me e.g. a few years ago I moved in to a flat with cat owners, and their cat immediately latched on to me, sleeping on my bed when she could, and generally making her "owners" jealous. When I get my own place, there will be at least one cat there, preferably two.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Shenshen wrote: »
    Based on that post, I am now convinced that the OP did have a point after all.
    How people treat animals is a good indicator as to them being people I would want to associate with or not...

I still think that is too wide a generalisation, I come into contact with people who done some very nasty things; yet, they have being excellent pet owners. They would harm a human before a animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

Odysseus wrote: »
    I still think that is too wide a generalisation, I come into contact with people who done some very nasty things; yet, they have being excellent pet owners. They would harm a human before a animal.

It was never meant as a wide generalisation, nor do i recall implying that. If I did it was not intended.

To suggest such a general proposition would be madness.

I didn't want to post this up in any specific psych forum as I though that it would not be met with much interest.

I do however think that it is worthy of some formal research....

As I do people who are subject to panic attacks and certain phobias, eg; fear of water and whether there is some correlation with childhood experiences.

My observation of affection for dogs, intense dislike for cats is based on 12 years of working with a specific client group. I cannot go into any further specific details on that.

I do remember in 1982, asking was there a mathematical form of dyslexia, which was greeted with disdain and dismissive ridicule...and of course we now know that there is.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

If you were going into battle who would you want on your side, a cat or a dog?

I thought so...

Higher wrote: »

I thought so...

Both...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Higher wrote: »

I thought so...

A gorilla would be even better, therefore gorillas make better pets, flawless logic.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

It was never meant as a wide generalisation, nor do i recall implying that. If I did it was not intended.

To suggest such a general proposition would be madness.

I didn't want to post this up in any specific psych forum as I though that it would not be met with much interest.

I do however think that it is worthy of some formal research....

As I do people who are subject to panic attacks and certain phobias, eg; fear of water and whether there is some correlation with childhood experiences.

My observation of affection for dogs, intense dislike for cats is based on 12 years of working with a specific client group. I cannot go into any further specific details on that.

I do remember in 1982 asking was there a mathmatical form of dyslexia, which was greeted with disdain and dismissal...and of course we now know that there is.

I don't know it seem that way to me, if you are saying that this only applies to a certain category of dog or cat owners, then what category is that? If that males sense? If you look at your original question:

"Well I reckon opinions like that reveal more about the persons character than the natural characteristics of an animal...what ya reckon?"

It would appear to me that it you are stating that it applies to all cat and dog owners. Then again it doesn't matter that much as you have clarified you position in the above post.

To go along with what way do you think the formal research would go?

As for putting it up in the psych forum, there are a few people there who also post in the animals and pets forum. Though I know what you mean when you are trying to formulation something and people don't give you a chance before they start looking exact research papers on the topic. [If I picked you up correctly that is]

Is 1982 correct or a typo?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I hate cats because i'm allergic to them,i even gave up a fuck buddy because of her cats.

I don't know it seem that way to me, if you are saying that this only applies to a certain category of dog or cat owners, then what category is that? If that males sense? If you look at your original question:

"Well I reckon opinions like that reveal more about the persons character than the natural characteristics of an animal...what ya reckon?"

It would appear to me that it you are stating that it applies to all cat and dog owners. Then again it doesn't matter that much as you have clarified you position in the above post.

To go along with what way do you think the formal research would go?

As for putting it up in the psych forum, there are a few people there who also post in the animals and pets forum. Though I know what you mean when you are trying to formulation something and people don't give you a chance before they start looking exact research papers on the topic. [If I picked you up correctly that is]

Is 1982 correct or a typo?

I consider your posts nit-picking for the sake of having nothing better to do.

I said nothing at all about pet owners, and nothing at all about "all cat and dog owners", thats ridiculous.

1982 is not a typo.

From your previous posts I can only suggest that you will go chasing anything else that I write so I'm saying no more, I'm done.

Anyways, post away. And a Happy Christmas

I consider your posts nit-picking for the sake of having nothing better to do.

I said nothing about all pet owners..,.thats ridiculous.

1982 is not a typo.

From your previous posts I can only suggest that you will go chasing anything else that I write so I'm saying no more, I'm done.

Anyways, post away. And a Happy Christmas

Fair enough, you don't like questions, I hope you don't have to defend a thesis any time soon.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, you don't like questions, I hope you don't have to defend a thesis any time soon.

Typical smart ass post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

looksee wrote: »
    I prefer cats, but I recognise that this is just a personal preference and does not make any kind of statement about me or people who prefer other pets. Or no pets.

+1000

i just dont like cats + does not mean that im a feckin axe murderer
    using the logic the op used , if you DO like cats then it says loads about you , namely you like cats FFS

so basicly what you are saying if people dont like cats as much as you do then they have something wrong with them ?
    really ? that in MY opinion is a VERY weird thing to say

i dont like cats , not becasue they are " evil " , just becasue i dont like the little ****ers `, so sigmund , lay it on me , what in your opinion does that make me , your logic is totall BULLSH!T

FECK!ING CAT LOVERS , YOU ARE ALL CLOSET MENTILISTS :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

A gorilla would be even better, therefore gorillas make better pets, flawless logic.

A gorilla would turn on you. Who would be stupid enough to walk out with unrestrained Gorilla beside them? I think it is you who is lacking in logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,329 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I love cats, but I have nothing against dogs. ive just always had cats in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

To be honest, I don't know why people compare cats and dogs so much. Yes they're both very popular pets, but people get dogs and cats for very different reasons, and in the wild, species of the cat family and the dog family behave very differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Ava_e

All cats can be amazing devoted too. This poor chap was stuck in a neck snare for 3 years, his pride (other cats) brought him food to keep him alive.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2252528/Young-male-lion-rescued-wire-snare-trapped-round-neck-years-Tanzania.html

looksee wrote: »
    I prefer cats, but I recognise that this is just a personal preference and does not make any kind of statement about me or people who prefer other pets. Or no pets.

I suppose I wasn't specific enough, I wasn't referring to peoples general preference, but rather to people with whom I have met over a few years, who have had an intense/irrational dislike/hatred of cats, almost to a point where they enjoyed seeing or hearing of their (cats) harm or discomfort.

And yet at the same time, they also became very emotional about dogs (and not even the mistreatment of dogs), and would get very emotional when talking about dogs perceived characteristics, loyalty etc.

These people weren't even pet owners themselves BTW..but had only observed cats and dog behaviour and based their opinions on that alone.

Something a bit unbalanced going on there IM(humble)O.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

My woman has a bit of a dose of the flu at the moment. She's on the couch with a rug over her and the two cats draped across her keeping her warm. Me, on the other hand, is posting on boards and doing nothing for her. :o

I suppose I wasn't specific enough, I wasn't referring to peoples general preference, but rather to people with whom I have met over a few years, who have had an intense/irrational dislike/hatred of cats, almost to a point where they enjoyed seeing or hearing of their (cats) harm or discomfort.

I have an intense and irrational dislike/hatred of spiders. I think they're the most disgusting and horrible things in the natural world. I kill them remorselessly. I don't think I'm alone in this either.

Does that make me unbalanced, or is it culturally acceptable to hate spiders but not cats?

Hating cats is irrational, yes. Calling it unbalanced is going too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Candie wrote: »
    I have an intense and irrational dislike/hatred of spiders. I think they're the most disgusting and horrible things in the natural world. I kill them remorselessly. I don't think I'm alone in this either.

Does that make me unbalanced

Yes, it is unbalanced. You don't have the right to take the life of another living creature just because you have an irrational dislike for them.

• Advertisement

Yes, it is unbalanced. You don't have the right to take the life of another living creature just because you have an irrational dislike for them.

So everyone who swats a fly or uses a mousetrap is unbalanced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

you cant really make a judgement on a persons preferance of cat or dog to make them any better or worse a person for choosing one over the other one. thats just being biased toward your own preferance and telling everyone else there wrong for not liking what you like imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I have no great affection for any animal although i particularly dislike cats. My real hatred however, is reserved for those arseholes who keep clogging up YLYL with endless pictures of cats and dogs wearing hats or making faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

So everyone who swats a fly or uses a mousetrap is unbalanced?

That's not irrational, both of the creatures you mentioned spread disease. Domestic cats don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Cats: What does your opinion say about you?

I`d say some of them hate people

Does that make me unbalanced, or is it culturally acceptable to hate spiders but not cats?

I was always told as a child never to kill a spider as they were clean and they killed flies, as flies spread disease.

That has stayed with me to an extent.

Reminds me of when I lived in shared flat, there was this big spider that came inside from the cold weather and made a web on inside of the glass door.

We let it stay there, and fed it the occasional fly and even a small bit of bacon when the flies ran out.

It eventually made a sac type thing for itself and its eggs which we eventually removed to a match box and stuck out in the shed.

"Irrational" works pretty good for me. Ignore all references to "unbalanced".:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I've heard said too, "Cats are independent and clever, dogs are dumb and needy".
    Crazy Cat Lady, level 100 :P

Advertisement