Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat acceptance?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Why did I click that link. I almost vomited. Also it's ironic the hideousness of those photo's yet they feel the need to blur they're yoohoo's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Well after looking at those photos I now feel incredibly sexy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Sickening.

Fat acceptance is just more Political Correctness gone mad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭theT

Really shouldnt have looked at that so soon after lunch.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I'd tap it :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

davet82 wrote: »
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/4707120/Photographers-uses-obese-models-for-new-collection.html#ixzz2FgtRI1sn

i don't think we should be encouraging people to accept obesity, any opinions?

*Warning: Article contains nudity to those easily offended btw*

I know I'll be shouted out of this thread for saying it, but we should encourage people to like themselves.
    Once we've accomplished that, we should help those who want to change themselves.

At the end of the day, people will always be different, and will always like different things.
    I'm at work and don't think I should click your link right now, but I am fat myself.
    I'm losing weight, I've lost 20 kg over the last year and am continuing on, but I do NOT want to become skinny either, just because the ITG mentality would not accept me otherwise.

I like chubby people. I married a chubby man, and I plan on remaining chubby myself.
    I don't need "encouragement" for that from anyone, but I can do without the sanctimonious "I've only got your best interest at heart" condescension, thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

These women apart from being horrendously overweight are also so dam sad looking, I feel sorry for them,if they believe in this as a cause they are surely only deluding themselves,certainly not fooling anyone else. They must know they need serious psychological help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

BRING ME SOLO AND THE WOOKIE.

nocoverart wrote: »
    I'd tap it :eek:

'It' being the operative word here. Because I'm no seeing a human there. An elephant maybe, but not a human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Shenshen wrote: »
    I know I'll be shouted out of this thread for saying it, but we should encourage people to like themselves.
    Once we've accomplished that, we should help those who want to change themselves.

At the end of the day, people will always be different, and will always like different things.
    I'm at work and don't think I should click your link right now, but I am fat myself.
    I'm losing weight, I've lost 20 kg over the last year and am continuing on, but I do NOT want to become skinny either, just because the ITG mentality would not accept me otherwise.

I like chubby people. I married a chubby man, and I plan on remaining chubby myself.
    I don't need "encouragement" for that from anyone, but I can do without the sanctimonious "I've only got your best interest at heart" condescension, thank you very much.

I'm a smoker, its apart of who I am now but I shouldn't be encouraged to accept it but maybe you are right about criticising it...

• Advertisement

I agree with a lot of what you say, but you need to click the link. These women are unhealthy and sad looking.

This should never be seen as acceptable. It's absolutely horrific. I'm no skinny minny but I'm happy with my body, I'm healthy and I also like a man with a bit of extra weight.

You could sit on these women's hips they are that grotesquely fat.

davet82 wrote: »
    I'm a smoker, its apart of who I am now but I shouldn't be encouraged to accept it but maybe you are right about critising it...

Think about it for just 1 second. Will any amount of criticism, well-meaning or otherwise, do anything to help you stop smoking? Would it make you want to stop?

I've helped my mother and my brother when they decided to give it up, but I'm leaving my other brother who is still smoking well alone. Nagging and heckling and bugging and pocking is not going to help, it's going to aggravate the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You would need a miners lamp and a canary to go down on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

A symptom of a sick society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Think about it for just 1 second. Will any amount of criticism, well-meaning or otherwise, do anything to help you stop smoking? Would it make you want to stop?

I've helped my mother and my brother when they decided to give it up, but I'm leaving my other brother who is still smoking well alone. Nagging and heckling and bugging and pocking is not going to help, it's going to aggravate the problem.

I agree totally but fat (obesity) acceptance days or pro smoking propaganda shouldn't be encouraged either is my point.

You would need a miners lamp and a canary to go down on them

This would make a great National Lottery advert...what would I do for a billion euros?

I agree with a lot of what you say, but you need to click the link. These women are unhealthy and sad looking.

This should never be seen as acceptable. It's absolutely horrific. I'm no skinny minny but I'm happy with my body, I'm healthy and I also like a man with a bit of extra weight.

You could sit on these women's hips they are that grotesquely fat.

I believe you, without seeing it (I might check it when I get home later).
    But while this is by no means the first thread on the topic of body fat, the general attitude seems to be that these people ought to be punished by ridicule, additional taxes, and heckling and abuse.

If you had posted a pro-ana website showing skeletal people aiming to be sexy, nobody here would hilariously claim to just have thrown up their lunch over their keyboard. They would be pitied, society and fashion would be blamed, and psychotherapy would be suggested.

But hey, those people are skinny, not fat.

And it's this two-facedness that is starting to seriously annoy me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

juan.kerr wrote: »
    This would make a great National Lottery advert...what would I do for a billion euros?

Read the sun....*shuderrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

But while this is by no means the first thread on the topic of body fat, the general attitude seems to be that these people ought to be punished by ridicule, additional taxes, and heckling and abuse.

If you had posted a pro-ana website showing skeletal people aiming to be sexy, nobody here would hilariously claim to just have thrown up their lunch over their keyboard. They would be pitied, society and fashion would be blamed, and psychotherapy would be suggested.

They can be as fat as they want, but seeing them naked and clearly looking sad isn't nice.
    I don't want to hate on any fat person, but there comes a point where I just pity them and think, Jesus that's no life. EVery aspect of their lives must be a struggle. If they don't help themselves and die because of it, that's their choice.

In all honesty, if one of those women was a close friend I'd tell them to stop embarrassing themselves, put their clothes on and do something about it.It won't happen over night, but even losing a few stone will make a huge difference to the strain on their heart, backs and legs.
    Many won't agree with me I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Yes they would be ridiculed. You're not new here?
    Someone already suggested these women need psychological help.
    Take a look at the pictures before your venture too much into this. There's nothing acceptable about it.

Personally I notice less acceptance of smoking for example. The world is more health conscious in lots of ways and I think it's a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

I don't think fat acceptance contributes to health problems, at least not in the public sphere. All else being equal, it might be a health concern. However all else is not equal: The norm in the media is to represent the other end of the spectrum. Skinny is good and desirable, fat is not. This fixation our society has with losing weight probably has something to do with why these obese women develop unhealthy relationships with food in the first place. I think deconstructing this norm is a far better use of time than criticizing overweight models. At least they contribute to diversity and provide an alternative.

Munster should buy her for their scrum

Assuming the rest of the team don't mind carrying her on and off the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

*puts down pizza menu
    *puts on coat to go to shop and buy salad-y crap yummy nutritous grub instead

Better yet, stick he in goal for Ireland. There's no way Germany could get 6 past her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Ah jesus, there is fat acceptance and fat acceptance. That is taking it wayy overboard, that woman is a crazy weight!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think your confusing being grosely obese to being large.

The people in the link have gone past the unhealthy stage and far into the very early death stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Give me a bag of flour i cant find the wet spot

• Advertisement

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Assuming the rest of the team don't mind carrying her on and off the pitch.

They could invest in a couple of cranes and she'd be grand.

Advertisement