Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 - Hopes and Expectations

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cork

Football - Sam

Hurling - semis

Underage - to be better than some of the utterly chronic results in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

ROSCOMMON
    WIN CONNACHT AND SURPRISE A FEW WITH A GOOD RUN MAYBE AS FAR AS THE SEMIS IF THE DRAW IS RIGHT. COULD SEE US GIVEN A FEW TEAMS A RUN FOR THERE MONEY BUT NEED TO AVOID DONEGAL OR CORK TOO EARLY IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP. NEW MANAGER AND TOP CLASS YOUNG PLAYERS SO WE ARE IN A GOOD STATE, HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

For da Ros:

At underage we've got good draws that should mean two Connacht finals and an AIQF at minor and with the talent that's available at both levels Connacht titles, and particularly at u21, an AI run isn't beyond the realm of possibility. Fergie's taken over the minors again so they'll be in very good hands next season.

The seniors' season really boils down to three games, Monaghan and Meath at home in the league are likely to decide if we'll be playing Division 2 football next season and the away game to Mayo (or Galway, surprise us, lads!) in the championship presents one of those everything-to-win scenarios. It's been 12 years since either Mayo or Galway have been overhauled by us so it is due but it's hard to expect it this coming year, especially at this point. Two wins out of three from those games will represent the basis for a good year for us.

Oh, and Brigids to win the AI. Sorry, Cross/Crokes/Kickhams! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The Dubs to bring Sam home again. :D
    ROSCOMMON
    WIN CONNACHT AND SURPRISE A FEW WITH A GOOD RUN MAYBE AS FAR AS THE SEMIS IF THE DRAW IS RIGHT. COULD SEE US GIVEN A FEW TEAMS A RUN FOR THERE MONEY BUT NEED TO AVOID DONEGAL OR CORK TOO EARLY IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP. NEW MANAGER AND TOP CLASS YOUNG PLAYERS SO WE ARE IN A GOOD STATE, HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL,

Any chance you could turn your caps lock key off there boss? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Mayo Football

Realistic hopes:
    Connaught Title for the 3rd year in a row, although I really expect Galway to give us a big battle in Salthill. Winning that game is crucial, we dont want Qualifiers Round 1.... After that, I want us to give Donegal a real shot in the AI Semi (Mayo v Donegal is scheduled to be a Semi if both teams keep winning). And if we make the final, well the hope of course is to end the wait!!!

Wildest Dreams
    Sam Maguire. Simple as.

Expectations
    I expect to reach at least the AI Semi. Though if we dont win Connaught, I doubt we will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

Cork senior hurlers to start to make some progress with their youngsters and at underage level

Carlow hurlers to survive in the League and create at least 1 upset in the year. Great progress made there with a tiny pick and it doesn't get recognised. Be good to see them have a run at minor and u21 level as well

• Registered Users Posts: 36 nicodemus93

I hope Cork county board wakes up for the upcoming year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Cork hurlers to improve yet again next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Galway football: Just win a game in the Championship! Game against Mayo should be a real battle. If we could produce performances like we did against Roscommon last year we'd be laughing but there's some serious mental baggage in that team with all the 1 point losses. If Mayo lost to us, I'd fear that it'd really set them back and all these expectations of an All Ireland would be in ruins.

Hurlers: Win the All Ireland. As was said, they're very capable. The Leinster final took us all by surprise, but the 2 All Ireland's showed that we can live with Kilkenny. Hopefully beat them in the final, deny Shefflin the 10th medal and begin a new era in Galway Hurling!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Dublin footballing expectations would be mid table in league or reach the semi final playoff.Its hard to know how the players will blend and what players will be lining out.Hopefully Gavin won't go too experimental. Leinster wouldbe a minimum expectation with a semi final place perhaps.

As for my expectations for the rest, I think Donegal will slip back a bit naturally.I just think like us, their game planis based on sheer teamwork rather than individual skill and natural footballing ability.I just don;t see Donegal being able to apply it again this coming year.All the celebrations from winning Sam takes it toll and Jimmy will be distracted with Celtic.Hopefully Jimmy will be losing matches on the western front.

I think Mayo will be out to prove themselves and I expect them to make the league final again this year and possibly the all ireland again.Cork will probably winthe league as they usually do and then fail to flatter when it really matters.For all the hype this Cork team have, they have only won one All Ireland since Kerrys regression.

Kerry will be out to gain ground again next year but I do not see it happening.I think they will get to the league semi along with Mayo,Cork or Dublin/Donegal but the fact is,the experienced players are getting on and there isn't much to suggest they are being replaced by players of equal or greater quality.

After the big guns, I am expecting the likes Of Laois,Sligo,Limerick and Roscommon to give their provine a real push or have a good run in the qualifiers.They all showed promise last year.Meath have good players but my concern for them is that Division 3 is not apt preparation for the championship and a new manager coming in is a big change.I may be wrong.

Kildare I feel will make the last 8 without winning Leinster.Even with ourselves going back a bit last year, Kildare should have had enough to beat Meath and make the Leinster Final and really push us like they usually do when they play us.I do not know what impact the Seanie Johnston saga had but one has to realise that one player is not bigger than the team and this should not have distracted players aiming to perform at the top level.

As for the minnows looking to have a dream run of games in the championship, I think Clare under Micko will be ones to look out for and maybe even Fermanagh who have had a couple of years under Canavan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭meath12

blackbelt wrote: »
    Dublin footballing expectations would be mid table in league or reach the semi final playoff.Its hard to know how the players will blend and what players will be lining out.Hopefully Gavin won't go too experimental. Leinster wouldbe a minimum expectation with a semi final place perhaps.

As for my expectations for the rest, I think Donegal will slip back a bit naturally.I just think like us, their game planis based on sheer teamwork rather than individual skill and natural footballing ability.I just don;t see Donegal being able to apply it again this coming year.All the celebrations from winning Sam takes it toll and Jimmy will be distracted with Celtic.Hopefully Jimmy will be losing matches on the western front.

I think Mayo will be out to prove themselves and I expect them to make the league final again this year and possibly the all ireland again.Cork will probably winthe league as they usually do and then fail to flatter when it really matters.For all the hype this Cork team have, they have only won one All Ireland since Kerrys regression.

Kerry will be out to gain ground again next year but I do not see it happening.I think they will get to the league semi along with Mayo,Cork or Dublin/Donegal but the fact is,the experienced players are getting on and there isn't much to suggest they are being replaced by players of equal or greater quality.

After the big guns, I am expecting the likes Of Laois,Sligo,Limerick and Roscommon to give their provine a real push or have a good run in the qualifiers.They all showed promise last year.Meath have good players but my concern for them is that Division 3 is not apt preparation for the championship and a new manager coming in is a big change.I may be wrong.

Kildare I feel will make the last 8 without winning Leinster.Even with ourselves going back a bit last year, Kildare should have had enough to beat Meath and make the Leinster Final and really push us like they usually do when they play us.I do not know what impact the Seanie Johnston saga had but one has to realise that one player is not bigger than the team and this should not have distracted players aiming to perform at the top level.

As for the minnows looking to have a dream run of games in the championship, I think Clare under Micko will be ones to look out for and maybe even Fermanagh who have had a couple of years under Canavan.

kildare are on the same side as dublin in leinster so meath wont be playing kildare in leinster unless we both reach the final

• Registered Users Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Mayo
    Realistic Hopes
    All Ireland

Expectation
    All Ireland

Worst Nightmare
    Loss to Galway in May or loose another All Ireland final

F**k it, that came true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

F**k it, that came true

Sorry Fr - I done a ninja edit to delete my post as I forgot about Hurling replay :eek:!! Obviously not quick enough though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

I said league final and AI semi at least so Mayo had another very good year as I expected. I know we've lost two consecutive AI's (again :() but the progress we've made under JH and underage in 3 years since 2010 has been fantastic. Here's to another good 2014.

And hopefully club football in Mayo gets more compeitive outside the county championship. Would give football in the county and even bigger lift

Advertisement