Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 - Hopes and Expectations

Options
  • 21-12-2012 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭

Bored at work so thought this might be a bit of fun and we can look at this again during the year to see how things panned out.

So theory is for your county, set out your hopes for how they will do next year - can be realistic hopes and wildest dreams - Go Mad!!

I'll start the ball rolling -

Cavan (Football)
    Realistic hopes:
    Ulster title at Minor level
    Ulster title at U-21
    All-Ireland final appearance at either level
    Senior: Beat Armagh and reach Ulster final
    Club level: A Cavan team at senior level to win a match in Ulster
    League: Promotion to Division 2.

Wildest Dreams
    Two All-Ireland's (Minor and Under 21)
    Ulster title and AI Semi-Final appearance at Senior level
    County Board implement Quinn Report and restructure County Championship

Expectations
    Think Under 21's will win Ulster and Minors will reach Ulster finals
    Seniors to miss out on league promotion to Meath and Monaghan
    Seniors to lose to Armagh (2-3 points) and win one qualifier game but then to lose to a top ten team by 3-4 points.
    Club level - Gaels to win county and get tanked in Ulster with at least 3 sent-off - county board does lots of navel gazing and decides we need more senior clubs not less.

Cavan Hurling
    Nothing major here but increase numbers playing at schools level and keep progressing on Hurling Development plan. Oh and County final to be played :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Mayo
    Realistic Hopes
    All Ireland

Expectation
    All Ireland

Worst Nightmare
    Loss to Galway in May or loose another All Ireland final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

There is no hope. This is what I expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Mayo:
    Give those Galway scoundrels a good beating in Salthill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

From a Meath point of view, promotion from Div 3. Decent run in Leinster, get to the final hopefully. QF in the All Ireland is best we can hope for.
    Another hope for 2013 would be for someone to swiftly end any talk of Mayo winning the AI

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Mayo at least make it to final, with the aim and potential ro winning it. If we don't win this year than 2014 will definitely be ours! Cannot wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Draydis80

Limerick Football

Get out of Division 4
    Run Cork close
    Win a few games in the qualifiers

Limerick Hurling

Promotion in the league
    Win Munster anything after that would be a bonus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Funny one from Mayo perspective as last year was a great season both in league (recovered from potential relegation to reach league final) and championship (Retained Connacht and unreal run to AI final defying odds again with great football in latter stages in Croke Park).. So to improve upon that will be hell of alot difficult to repeat next year. As long as they keep the core team system going along with adding more depth to squad and keeping the same mentality; not getting notions like Mayo teams in the past, I'm sure another League final, AI semi final at least is on the cards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Not too sure of the point of doing hopes and expectations, surely the hope should be a Celtic Cross in September.

Galway Football:
    Beat Mayo, go on to win Connacht and get to the AI SF.

More realism:
    Just beat anyone from outside of Connacht. If we were to get to the QFs through the qualifiers I would be ecstatic, but really, anything after a win against non-Connacht opposition would be a bonus. Shows how far we've regressed in the last decade.

Galway Hurling:

Beat Kilkenny in the All Ireland final. That's really the only improvement possible after last year. I fully believe we're capable, we have shown we have the hurlers to match them, and with a few new faces in the panel next year, along with the return of Barry Daly and others, we should be able to push on and clinch Liam for the first time in 23 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭randd1

Here is my predictions for the year for Kilkenny.

Kilkenny Hurling

Minor Leinster Champions
    Minor AI Semi-Finalists
    U21 Leinster Champions
    U21 AI Finalists
    NHL Finalists
    Leinster Senior Champions
    AI Senior Champions

Kilkenny Football

Look up football in the dictionary :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Clare Football
    Some underage success.
    Promotion out of Division 4 in the league.
    Reach Munster Final. Win a playoff game.

Clare Hurling
    Retain Division 1 Status, with the favourable draw I'd be hoping for playoff game.
    Beat Waterford in first round. Reach All Ireland Quarter Final at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Tipp Hurling :

Thurles Sars to win the AI
    Seniors to restore some pride and hopefully reach the AI final.
    Minors and U21's will be both very strong so provincial and nathinal titles would be fantastic and achievable.

Tipp Football:

Win Division 4 of the NFL
    Win Munster U21 title
    Good run in the qualifiers after putting it up to Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭platypus

Laois football

Realistic hopes
    Win division 2
    Reach Leinster final
    Reach all Ireland quarter final

Wildest dreams
    Win division 2
    Win Leinster
    Reach all Ireland semi

Expectations
    Be in top 3 in division 2
    Beat Louth, think it will be very tight if v Wexford and Meath if we meet them
    Reach qualifier round 3 or 4

Underage winning at least one game each at minor and u21 would be nice. At club level I would like new champions, if portlaoise win again I would like to see them win an all Ireland

Laois hurling

Realistic hopes
    Win division 2
    Reach Leinster semi, and establish ourselves as best of the Laois/Antrim/Carlow/Westmeath type teams
    Run Offaly or Wexford close if we meet them, keep it respectable v anyone else

Wildest dreams
    Beat Offaly or Wexford if we meet, give any of the bigger guns a fright for 60 mins

Expectations
    Win division 2 and we should have a chance of reaching Leinster semi
    Keep it respectable in qualifiers v Offaly or Wexford , anyone in top 8 will destroy us

Underage I'd like a couple of wins at minor and u21, think a title is well beyond us. At club level I'd like to see champions win a Leinster championship game v one of the established county's champions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Tipperary hurling

Realistic hopes

I expect the team to have a good year. O' Shea is an intelligent, experienced, and popular (judging from Sheedy's tenure). An All-Ireland semi-final is within the team's grasp. Nearly every player from the last year is back. There's some fantastic hurlers on this team and if we're good, they'll be recognised. Or the opposite could happen and the year could be a work in progress/rebuilding but there's an element to O' Shea's interviews that we're going to compete straight away.

Wildest Dreams

We win the All-Ireland, dismantling every team in the country on the way to routing Kilkenny. Tipperary sends a swathe of players to the All-Stars. Pride and hope as at an all time high in The Premier County - all teams below senior dominate. Begins the six in a row until we take a break and allow Limerick to win it.

Expectations

Similar to realistic expectations really.

I expect Tipperary footballers to have a good year. Quietly, last year they progressed far but were ultimately defeated. The league isn't out of their reach at least this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Kilkenny Hurling:

The realistic expectations would be for the Senior team to be there or there abouts come September 2013. U-21 and Intermediate teams should be very competitive again, while the minor team mightn't make it too far in the AI series.

Wildest dreams would be to win senior, U-21, intermediate and minor AI championships :D

Kilkenny Football:

Eh'll ...... *scratches head* ...... I'll get back to ye on that one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Mayo for Sam

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Meath Football
    We simply have to get out of division 3. Anything less than that will be a disaster.
    We should be aiming for another Leinster Final given that we're on the "easier" side of the draw, hopefully winning it this year.
    Failing that, I think a quarter final appearance would be something to build on.

Hopefully the minors can get some silverware this season.

Meath Hurling
    Think we have a good chance of getting out of division 2B. We won't make a hell of a lot of progress if we're stuck against mediocre teams like Armagh and Roscommon.
    We were robbed of a chance to make the Christy Ring Cup final last season having been on the end of an awful red card decision in the first half of the semi final. We've made the semi final a few times now, have to make a final at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Kildare (Football)
    Realistic hopes: to bring silverware home of some kind
    League: really hope we get a good run. div 1 is so tough though hoping we can stay up there with the big guns tbh.

Wildest Dreams
    Win the All Ireland... 1928 1928 1928 FFS

Expectations
    I expect kildare to step it up this year and surprise the begrudgers. so many passionate fans love following the county, think pride was hurt last year after johnston affair etc. but this year ted this year lol

Kildare Hurling
    hurling in the county is forgotten by most such a shame as some lovely hurlers in the county. dont know what to say apart from im not expecting too much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Football

Minor

Mickey Ned to get us to an AI Final would do wonders for the grade in Kerry,In the last 6 years we have been knocked out in the minor by the eventual winners,But the Kerry minors have a big monkey on there back with no minor title since 94,A final appearance would do alot to remove that

U21

An AI win under Dara is what we need,Again we need a winning mentality coming through for our teams,Big performances in the grade from the likes of James Walsh,Conor Cox,Padraig McCarthy,Fergal McNamara,Paidí óg,Pa Kilkenny & Damien Somers.

Seniors

A Munster title and Fitzmaurice to get to an AI final i think is realistic,I could see another Dublin/Kerry saga beginning with Jim Gavin at the helm in Dublin.

Fitzy to get Kerry back playing football the way we want it down here,Fast long ball football.

The likes of Brian Maguire,Peter Crowley & Jack Sherwood to make serious push at a few of the aging Kerry backs.

David Moran to come back and have an injury free season

Brian Looney,Mikey Geaney.Daithi Casey & Paul Geaney to strengthen our options up front

Club

Crokes to finally win the AI,But a return to strength of the divisonal sides in the county championship & also the sleeping giants Strand Rd,Laune Rangers

Hurling

To fight it out with Laois for the 2A title,2A is quite a good strong league ahead of the CR.

Win the Chrisy Ring and go hell for leather and enter the Leinster Championship pre-lims next year and battle it out with W'Meath,Carlow,London etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭blue note

Waterford hurling.

Hopes
    Some of the younger players to make the step up from being decent or promising young players to being someone you could see winning an all star, particularly up front. Gavin O'Brien, Mahoney, Shanahan - all decent players, but not feared by anyone. As regards where we get to, u don't really care too much to be honest. No-one in Munster is unbeatable for us, so a Munster title is possible, similarily other than Kilkenny, we could get the better of anyone on our day, so an ai final would not be impossible (although with so many games 50/50 we'd surely get knocked out en route). But, I'd rather lose with the younger guys impressing than have mullane and brick drag us over the line in a Munster final.

Expectation
    A similar year to last. Possible relegation from the league, but not certain. then we'll lose one of those 50/50 games in the championship, possibly Clare, possibly someone like limerick in the qualifiers. The young players will probably be similar to last year in terms of quality.

Fears
    Mullane to finally show the miles on the clock and the younger players to not step up. We could truely be toothless up front and could lose to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CorkWalsh2012

Cork Football

Expectations:

League: Win 4 in a row
    Munster Championship: Reach Munster Final
    All-Ireland: Reach Semi-Finals

Hopes:

Win Munster
    Win All-Ireland

Cork Hurling

Expectations:

League: Reach Final
    Munster: Reach Final
    All-Ireland: Reach Semi-Finals

Hopes:

Win League
    Win Munster
    Win All-Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭henke

Donegal Football

Expectations:
    Become the first Donegal team to win three Ulster titles in a row.
    Reach at least an AI semi-final.

Hopes:
    Win another Ulster.
    Be the first Donegal side to retain Sam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

2013 Hopes and Expectations:

I hope Waterford win the All Ireland. I expect to be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Clare Hurling
    hopes: Stay in div 1A, reach Munster final, get to semi-final in AI.

expectations: will probably be a harsh league campaign, might just stay afloat.

Clare Football

They play football in Clare? :eek:

realistically, getting out of div 4 would be counted as a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Football

Minor

Mickey Ned to get us to an AI Final would do wonders for the grade in Kerry,In the last 6 years we have been knocked out in the minor by the eventual winners,But the Kerry minors have a big monkey on there back with no minor title since 94,A final appearance would do alot to remove that

U21

An AI win under Dara is what we need,Again we need a winning mentality coming through for our teams,Big performances in the grade from the likes of James Walsh,Conor Cox,Padraig McCarthy,Fergal McNamara,Paidí óg,Pa Kilkenny & Damien Somers.

Even though Kerry minors reached the semi final this year they weren't overly impressive and probably should have lost to Roscommon. Unless there's a big improvement i can't see them reaching All Ireland final Kerry haven't won Munster minor championship for a few years that's a more realistic target.

At U21 level Tipp having won two in row minor titles must be the team to beat in Munster?
    Mayo
    Realistic Hopes
    All Ireland

Expectation
    All Ireland

I can't imagine many Mayo supporters have the expectations of winning All Ireland. Mayo have now lost 6 senior All Ireland finals in a row shouldn't the realistic hope be to reach another final and hope you can finally win it?

Clare Football

They play football in Clare? eek.png

With Micko around i think we'll hear plenty about Clare football next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Even though Kerry minors reached the semi final this year they weren't overly impressive and probably should have lost to Roscommon. Unless there's a big improvement i can't see them reaching All Ireland final Kerry haven't won Munster minor championship for a few years that's a more realistic target.
    Kerry minors were beaten 3 times in last year's Championship, so reaching the semi final made them appear a lot better than they were. I am sure they will be better next year, but they will need to improve a lot to be in contention for an All Ireland title.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The players are putting in a great effort already, I met a friend of mine who's on the panel the other night, he's a rake of weight lost, he has been put on a special diet and the training is fairly severe, they are back training on Stephen's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

At U21 level Tipp having won two in row minor titles must be the team to beat in Munster?

I can't imagine many Mayo supporters have the expectations of winning All Ireland. Mayo have now lost 6 senior All Ireland finals in a row shouldn't the realistic hope be to reach another final and hope you can finally win it?

What mayo teams did in 89, 96, 97, 04 and 06 has feck all bearing on 2013.
    But I'm not sure that this is the thread to discuss and dismiss other posters expectations for the year.

I'll start a predictions thread in the new year

Happy Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Kerry minors were beaten 3 times in last year's Championship, so reaching the semi final made them appear a lot better than they were. I am sure they will be better next year, but they will need to improve a lot to be in contention for an All Ireland title.

In all honesty it was essentially four. I know I'm biased but everyone, even the Kerry supporters were amazed they won the Roscommon game. They really were second best on the day in every single regard besides the scoreboard, but obviously that's the only one that decides who goes through or not.

I was at their semi versus Dublin too and were it not for Dublin having a second half snooze the score-line would have been a massacre rather than the comfortable margin it ended up being for the Dubs.

I think Kerry did astoundingly well to make an AISF and maybe it'll give them heart for next year but only Niall Sheehy stood out and he managed to get sent off in the Roscommon game and yanked in the Dublin one. Winning a Munster would mark a good season for Kerry, really.

Kerry aren't a county where underage success is a huge focus, everything seems geared towards players peaking at senior and it's hard to argue with the intelligence of that tact when there's 36 All-Irelands sitting in their cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Syferus wrote: »
    Kerry aren't a county where underage success is a huge focus, everything seems geared towards players peaking at senior and it's hard to argue with the intelligence of that tact when there's 36 All-Irelands sitting in their cabinet.
    They aren't however, without the success at U21 level in the mid 90s i doubt Kerry would have won what they won at senior level.

In regards to Mayo. Over the last two years the lack of expectations and pressure gave them the opportunity to express themselves people were writing Mayo off before games which was a great team talk before games. Now it will be totally differrent anything other than semi final appearance will be deemed a failure, how Mayo handle the huge expectations levels in 2013 will make or break them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 dandynamo

Laois Football
    To contest a Leinster Final and possibly winning it. Tough ask. But an improvemnet from last year hopefully

Laois Hurling
    That the set up is more professional and the best hulers in the county are available and commited. Rathdowney Erril had it in them to win a leinster title this year which would have been a boost. Yet none of these players made themselves available for laois

Advertisement