Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old Belvedere Cricket Club folds

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Score of 10

What an unsporting gesture by Cots, for the love of God leave it up to the mods and dont question them, if there's one thing I've seen from reading threads on here in my months observing and couple of days posting it's dont question them or feel the wrath!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Beaten to it by Beasty, but still think Help Desk info is useful so haven't deleted post if that's ok?
    Just for everyone's benefit, the first port of call, as you say dooferoaks, is to PM the local mods. If following that exchange a satisfactory resolution is not reached, PM the CMods (currently me and Black Swan for the Sports category). Only when those avenues are exhausted should a Help Desk thread be started. Now back on topic

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Renno

This is normally pretty friendly. Poor old Dan man - he's only been here a few days! Anyway, I'll be keeping an eye in Prison to see if Cots turns up. Plenty of entertainment.

Back to the topic on hand. It just goes to show that all clubs need to keep their eye on the ball. Belvo dominated in the late 60s and early 70s, and there is a fantastic photo in the bar of a Senior Cup final in Cabra in the late 60's. The ground looked great and a big crowd were in attendance.

Sadly the ground pavilion has remained as a throwback to 1974 ever since with the pink roses in the front.

Just looking back at old cards. Even in 2001 they had a team with two Irish internationals in - Adam, de Vos, Calder, Grahame, Ken Sorenson, Dave O'Riordan, Peter O'Reilly, Hugh Prior, Conor Hoey, Jonker and Del McGeehan.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Well evidently people were willing to do the dirty work for a div 2 club rather a div 3 one, also I think if this mass exodus has happened it speaks volumes about what even the members of the top teams in the club think of it that they can say they would rather move clubs and play in the same division (or in Rajesh Chawla's case move to a different club to play a lower division) similar to people not wanting to volunteer

Nope, as I've already told you it's nothing to do with the 1st XI dropping to Div 3. I don't know what club you're in, nor do I really care, but a club is about a lot more than the 1st XI. The committee in OB was dominated by 3rds players and we actively discussed continuing the club with just the 3rds but decided that it made no difference to our situation as we still needed "back room" staff but people just didn't have the time.

As a sort of related topic, did anyone find it strange how the leagues, particularly lower down towards 5-8 were restructured following Belvo folding?
    I would have thought that teams which finished 3rd in a league would have been more worthy of being promoted than re-placing the team which had finished 2nd bottom, or both relegated teams in Division 5's case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

to be fair that's how they've been doing things for a while

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

League restructuring is rarely simply about promotion & relegation. The Committee (I was on the old junior branch for years, but it's the same now on the OCC) takes into account a lot of things, and there's usually more information available around now about potential strength of teams, and whether other teams will be included or dropped.

It's not an exact science, but the objective is to as far as possible make things fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

TrueDub wrote: »
    League restructuring is rarely simply about promotion & relegation. The Committee (I was on the old junior branch for years, but it's the same now on the OCC) takes into account a lot of things, and there's usually more information available around now about potential strength of teams, and whether other teams will be included or dropped.

It's not an exact science, but the objective is to as far as possible make things fair.

id have to agree with this. We don't have information that the OCC has about potential player numbers strength of teams at clubs. From a purely statistical basis you will find in the past teams that finished third in a division have tended to struggle after moving up anyway so without even getting into all that detail a side finishing second bottom staying up in that scenario is probably the right one.

As a sort of related topic, did anyone find it strange how the leagues, particularly lower down towards 5-8 were restructured following Belvo folding?
    I would have thought that teams which finished 3rd in a league would have been more worthy of being promoted than re-placing the team which had finished 2nd bottom, or both relegated teams in Division 5's case

Started looking through the new structure, but couldn't find any problems in the top few divisions. Which examples were you looking at? In Division 5/6, it would have meant promoting Terenure 2 who were 4th on 49.7% and Phoenix who were 5th on 40.7%.

In my experience, in situations like this, a team may be promoted from further down a division in some cases, but only if it was thought they would stronger than the alternatives. Is that the case here?

Renno wrote: »
    Started looking through the new structure, but couldn't find any problems in the top few divisions. Which examples were you looking at? In Division 5/6, it would have meant promoting Terenure 2 who were 4th on 49.7% and Phoenix who were 5th on 40.7%.

In my experience, in situations like this, a team may be promoted from further down a division in some cases, but only if it was thought they would stronger than the alternatives. Is that the case here?

I just thought it was strange to have no teams relegated from Div 5, didn't notice Merrion 4 couldn't go up to be honest. I would have thought the bottom team would go down and the team in 3rd go up, I see why it was done like that now.

• Advertisement

I just thought it was strange to have no teams relegated from Div 5, didn't notice Merrion 4 couldn't go up to be honest. I would have thought the bottom team would go down and the team in 3rd go up, I see why it was done like that now.

Merrion 4 couldn't go up. Oakhill disbanded (for all intense and purpose) so didnt go down to div 5 either. OCC at the end of the day has to put the teams in at their level. For me without a doubt they made the right call. The teams they left in Div 5 are better than then teams they would have plugged in from Div 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Oakhill are gone?!!

Wicklow County have dropped their Division 4 team - which played in and went by the name of Oakhill.

Wicklow County will now have two teams, and will be playing out of Aravon School

So no one is playing at Oakhill any more? Thats a real shame. What is it to be used for now? There was international A games to be played there a short while ago, wasnt there?

djimi wrote: »
    So no one is playing at Oakhill any more? Thats a real shame. What is it to be used for now? There was international A games to be played there a short while ago, wasnt there?

probably the same as it was used for before. Invitational games, I know the MCC have played there a few times, Ireland invitational XI's and the likes.

waste of a good ground but what can you do.

Criminal waste. Just glad I got to play there even just the once.

Advertisement