Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gallstones

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭mrsweebri

Thanks cinloom I will start calling tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Just found this thread now, apologies for digging it up.

Have been having attacks for years now, maybe 3 a year. Was diagnosed as having an ulcer right up until latest A&E visit, when the doc suggested a GallBladder problem.

He sent me home with a promise of a follow up consultation (still waiting) and the instruction to steer clear of fatty foods, chocolate and tomatoes. I cannot find anything anywhere else about steering clear of tomatoes?!

Anyway, most attacks can last 5-8 hours. Last weekend I'd an attack lasting 26 hours. Nothing would relieve it. Eventually it went away. I was woken up by pain last night again, and a hot water bottle to my stomach kind of relieved the pain - especially the tightness in my back.

So, now I'm waiting on a visit with a consultant, terrified of most foods, thinking every twitch in my back/stomach is a new attack.

Jaysus I'm wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

connundrum wrote: »
    Just found this thread now, apologies for digging it up.

Have been having attacks for years now, maybe 3 a year. Was diagnosed as having an ulcer right up until latest A&E visit, when the doc suggested a GallBladder problem.

He sent me home with a promise of a follow up consultation (still waiting) and the instruction to steer clear of fatty foods, chocolate and tomatoes. I cannot find anything anywhere else about steering clear of tomatoes?!

Anyway, most attacks can last 5-8 hours. Last weekend I'd an attack lasting 26 hours. Nothing would relieve it. Eventually it went away. I was woken up by pain last night again, and a hot water bottle to my stomach kind of relieved the pain - especially the tightness in my back.

So, now I'm waiting on a visit with a consultant, terrified of most foods, thinking every twitch in my back/stomach is a new attack.

Jaysus I'm wrecked.

Tomatoes would be acidic so along with some citrus fruits it's better to avoid for now.

My Dad was told it was probably an ulcer and was sent to a consultant. 7 weeks later, after a lot of discomfort, he'd met the consultant and had an ultrasound and got an appointment for an endoscopy the next week, all within an hour of meeting the consultant. A month later out came the gall bladder and he's a new man.

It doesn't always go so fast but once you see the consultant it should move along nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I had my gallbladder removed and you've nothing to worry about.
    It'll be the best thing you ever did.

Avoid the foods that are triggering the attacks; it's different for everyone.
    For me it was fatty foods and coffee (coffee?!) and I avoided them until I had my op.

Keyhole surgery, few staples and then you'll have three scars which will fade over time.

fussyonion wrote: »
    I had my gallbladder removed and you've nothing to worry about.
    It'll be the best thing you ever did.

Avoid the foods that are triggering the attacks; it's different for everyone.
    For me it was fatty foods and coffee (coffee?!) and I avoided them until I had my op.

Keyhole surgery, few staples and then you'll have three scars which will fade over time.

Yeah, my Dad said his scars are barely even visible now only 10 weeks later.

But he never really ate fatty food. His only fried food was chips once a week.

But he feels like a new man since having the GB out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Without being vulgar, a common side effect after the op can be diarrhea.

Four years on after my op, I can get bouts of it if I eat fatty stuff but it's not all the time and to be honest, I think I might have a touch of IBS too, so I'm not saying it will happen to everyone, but diarrhea is an unpleasant side effect of post-op gallbladder surgery but usually it's only for a few weeks after.

fussyonion wrote: »
    Without being vulgar, a common side effect after the op can be diarrhea.

Four years on after my op, I can get bouts of it if I eat fatty stuff but it's not all the time and to be honest, I think I might have a touch of IBS too, so I'm not saying it will happen to everyone, but diarrhea is an unpleasant side effect of post-op gallbladder surgery but usually it's only for a few weeks after.

Actually, Da only had that feeling once in the 10 weeks since but he's been very slow to have anything he feels like might have an impact but that's only his once a week chips from the deep fat fryer but other than that he has been on. Probably has to do with other things you might have going on.

And while I think of it, for a man facing into his first big surgery at 73 he was looking forward to it because of the anticipated improvement, which turned out to be just as he expected :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

I had mine removed after 2 bad attacks in a short period of time. Looking back I'd had a few minor attacks over the years, first few lasted about an hour or less and once I could sleep I'd wake up fine. Got a few close together then, but again over in a hour or two - but the pain was more severe.
    Then I woke up one morning with backache and spent the next 48-72 hours in agony - it was a bank holiday weekend. Went to my GP early on the Tuesday, he suspected gallstones, sent me to A&E, where I spent the day. An untrasound confirmed "a few" gallstones. My GP referred me to a consultant and I had an appointment for about 3 weeks later and the weekend before the appointment I got another attack and went to A&E again - on the advise of said consultant. I was admitted but they weren't as sure it was gallstones as one of the doctors thought it might be an infected gallbladder. I was admitted, spent days on antibiotics, fasting and waiting for surgery - in those 4-5 days the pain never really went away - drugs took the sting off for a few hours.
    I had keyhole surgery - it was badly infected. I was up and out of the bed a few hours later and walking quite confidently and normally 24 hours later.
    I never looked back! The only thing I couldn't eat for a while was sausages - had painful reaction to first one I ate and abstained for months. Tried them again and fine. I have 4 little scars - 2 on my side are barely visible, the other 2 are a little bigger and they are noticeable if my midriff was exposed, but they're not ugly or anything - and anything is worth removing that awful pain.
    I was lucky, my GP picked it up immediately, he referred me on quickly (with me ringing him every day wondering why I hadn't heard from the consultant!) and although I was in agony with the last episode, it was treated as quickly as possible.
    If you do have the surgery be prepared to be quite tired afterwards - I found I could sleep soundly 12-14 hours when I first got home and tired very easily for up to 6 weeks post surgery.

Advertisement