Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So its Bliain na Gaeilge now is it.

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

An Coilean wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_language
    Read the first paragraph and tell me does English seem to fit.
    By that definition no, though I didn't fail to notice the "citation needed".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

My post made the argument that there are several important factors when it comes to learning a language. Asserting that someone not learning a language means they don't want to is a false dichotomy.
    Is this your justification for forcing children to speak Irish?
    Actually the core issue is that next year is Bliain na Gaeilge, a topic we seem to have strayed from.
    Aptly illustrated by a video showing peoples' indifference when accosted by an annoying Irish speaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

opti0nal wrote: »
    Is this your justification for forcing children to speak Irish?

No, I was not trying to justify 'forcing children to speak Irish'. I was trying to point out that the suggestion that you put forward, ie: not being able to speak Irish shows that people don't want to, is false and that it is in fact more complicated than that. Get it now?
    Aptly illustrated by a video showing peoples' indifference when accosted by an annoying Irish speaker.

What are they supposed to do, burst into applause? Do a song and dance to show their appreciation for the national language? The reaction he got was very much in line with the reaction you would normally get when asking for directions, its not something that's supposed to inspire great enthusiasm, the point is to show Irish in normal every day use on the streets of Dublin.

No, I was not trying to justify 'forcing children to speak Irish'.
    Got it.
    ....the national language....
    Ah yes, its's the The National Language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

No, I was not trying to justify 'forcing children to speak Irish'. I was trying to point out that the suggestion that you put forward, ie: not being able to speak Irish shows that people don't want to, is false and that it is in fact more complicated than that. Get it now?

What are they supposed to do, burst into applause? Do a song and dance to show their appreciation for the national language? The reaction he got was very much in line with the reaction you would normally get when asking for directions, its not something that's supposed to inspire great enthusiasm, the point is to show Irish in normal every day use on the streets of Dublin.

"What are they supposed to do.....a song and dance..."

I sincerely hope that if any songs are to be sung by the bewildered, unsuspecting members of the public, then those songs should be of the purest 'Gaelige', and not one of those foreign numbers from alien cultures much loved by young folk today, have they no national pride?

As for the dancing, let's keep it 'Irish', we want none of that gyrating or lascivious hip-swaying favoured by the loose-moraled horde of non-Irish speakers from 'the outside world' who seem to be having an inordinate, and indeed, malign influence on our purest of pure Gaelic children, we must keep our dancing 'comely maiden' style and NOT 'Gangnam', that is to say, no lateral hip movement, hands and harms welded to our flanks as if tied and bound by hundreds of years of sexual repression.
    What next I wonder, speaking 'English' and playing the garrison game - filthy SOCCER - on the streets of our nation's capital........ for shame!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

9959 wrote: »

I sincerely hope that if any songs are to be sung by the bewildered, unsuspecting members of the public, then those songs should be of the purest 'Gaelige', and not one of those foreign numbers from alien cultures much loved by young folk today, have they no national pride?

As for the dancing, let's keep it 'Irish', we want none of that gyrating or lascivious hip-swaying favoured by the loose-moraled horde of non-Irish speakers from 'the outside world' who seem to be having an inordinate, and indeed, malign influence on our purest of pure Gaelic children, we must keep our dancing 'comely maiden' style and NOT 'Gangnam', that is to say, no lateral hip movement, hands and harms welded to our flanks as if tied and bound by hundreds of years of sexual repression.
    What next I wonder, speaking 'English' and playing the garrison game - filthy SOCCER - on the streets of our nation's capital........ for shame!

Haha, it would be funny if it weren't so grossly ill-informed. You seem to think that Irish speaking is some kind of vehical for an isolationaist catholic Ireland.

The reality is quite different though, there has never been a shortage of modern music as Gaeilge, that's as true today as it was when 'Always on my mind' was being sung as Gaeilge back in the 70's

The kind of Irish dancing you are referring to is actually quite a recent invention and indeed it was developed specifically for purity and to be acceptable to the Church, but it is not particularly associated with the Irish speaking community, in fact it was more in the Garrison towns that it took off than in Irish speaking areas, the older and freer Sean Nós dancing was and is preferred choice for Irish speakers, when their not falling around the place in coppers of course ;)

Feel free to have what ever prejudices you want, but I hope you can recognize them for what they are.

Haha, it would be funny if it weren't so grossly ill-informed. You seem to think that Irish speaking is some kind of vehical for an isolationaist catholic Ireland.
    Choosing to speak a different language to the majority of your fellow citizens is somewhat isolating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

9959 wrote: »

What the actual fucck

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

opti0nal wrote: »
    Choosing to speak a different language to the majority of your fellow citizens is somewhat isolating.
    Some would even say "elitist". :eek:

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Some would even say "elitist". :eek:
    To be elitest, you'd be walking up to people in the street in an English-speaking city and proudly speaking Irish at them....surely nobody would do that?

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=An Coilean;82445910]Haha, it would be funny if it weren't so grossly ill-informed. You seem to think that Irish speaking is some kind of vehical for an isolationaist catholic Ireland.

The reality is quite different though, there has never been a shortage of modern music as Gaeilge, that's as true today as it was when 'Always on my mind' was being sung as Gaeilge back in the 70's

The kind of Irish dancing you are referring to is actually quite a recent invention and indeed it was developed specifically for purity and to be acceptable to the Church, but it is not particularly associated with the Irish speaking community, in fact it was more in the Garrison towns that it took off than in Irish speaking areas, the older and freer Sean Nós dancing was and is preferred choice for Irish speakers, when their not falling around the place in coppers of course ;)

Feel free to have what ever prejudices you want, but I hope you can recognize them for what they are.[/QUOTE]

You might be right, I'm probably not that well informed when it comes to Irish speakers, being Dublin born and bred I've never had the privilege of meeting one, save for teachers, politicians, and priests.
    Though not 'Always On My Mind', I somehow make this ridiculous connection between:
    Irish Nationalism
    The GAA
    The Roman Catholic Church
    The Irish Language Movement

Mad stuff I know, but there you are.

By the way, I've never heard of "freer Sean Nos dancing", however, it does indeed sound racy and not a little wild, does it in any way resemble 'Gangnam style'?

Happy New Year
    Athbhliain faoi mhaise duit! ;)

By the way, I've never heard of "freer Sean Nos dancing", however, it does indeed sound racy and not a little wild, does it in any way resemble 'Gangnam style'?

Happy New Year
    Athbhliain faoi mhaise duit!

Did you just see the Hong Kong new year celebrations! :D

Did you just see the Hong Kong new year celebrations! :D

Were they 'freer Sean Nos' dancing over there too, good luck to them!

Advertisement