Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas release from prision

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I dunno, maybe I'm soft but I think some prisoners should be given temporary release at special times. And I understand too, that especially heinous criminals should not be afforded such luxury.

Maybe getting out for awhile will show them what they're missing and be less likely to reoffend?

In saying that, it's easy for me to say when those prisoners haven't affected me or my family in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Boombastic wrote: »
    How come the rapist gets 2 weeks if the release ranges from a few hours up to 7 nights...special treatment?

Reading the link above

O'Neill pleaded guilty to the offence before Judge Carroll Moran after a trial hearing evidence of the same crime collapsed on Wednesday.

Before the trial began again in front of a new jury, O'Neill -- who has been in custody since January -- pleaded guilty yesterday before O'Neill will be sentenced with Hehir, of Collins Avenue, Ballinacurra-Weston, Limerick, next month.Judge Moran.

So he hasn't been sentenced yet and the judge in his wisdom not mine let him out for xmas.

catallus wrote: »
    I think Temporary release applies to family funerals and other family events.

Apoligies you could be right,

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=temporary%20release%20from%20prison&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.citizensinformation.ie%2Fen%2Fjustice%2Fprison_system%2Fremission_and_temporary_release.html&ei=GNjUUKDyI4eZhQevs4HgBQ&usg=AFQjCNGFvYZx26epRbo8xqFLSrSt_ipAjw&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.ZG4

There are two kinds of temporary release:
    • Day-to-day temporary release. This is normally to go to a job outside the prison during the day and return to the prison at night. This is usually considered when a prisoner is coming close to the end of their sentence.
    • Full temporary release either for a specified period or until the end of the sentence. This is normally granted on compassionate grounds in cases where urgent family or domestic circumstances arise. It is also considered if a prisoners has been progressing well on day-to-day temporary release.
    When the prison is deciding whether to grant temporary release, it will consider a number of different factors. It will consider the nature and circumstances of the crime you committed; your own attitude towards rehabilitation; your educational, training and employment needs and opportunities; your behaviour while in prison; your family background and the general background.

If you are granted temporary release, it will be subject to certain conditions including:
    • the requirement to keep the peace and maintain good behaviour during the period of release
    • the requirement to maintain sober habits
    • the requirement not to publish or communicate anything to the media.
    You will sign a "release form" acknowledging that
    • you are aware of the terms and conditions of your release
    • those terms have been explained to you
    • you are aware of the time when your period of release ends.
    While you are outside the prison, you may be considered to be unlawfully at large and may be arrested when:
    • The period of release has ended or
    • A condition of your release has been broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

realies wrote: »
    Reading the link above

O'Neill pleaded guilty to the offence before Judge Carroll Moran after a trial hearing evidence of the same crime collapsed on Wednesday.

Before the trial began again in front of a new jury, O'Neill -- who has been in custody since January -- pleaded guilty yesterday before O'Neill will be sentenced with Hehir, of Collins Avenue, Ballinacurra-Weston, Limerick, next month.Judge Moran.

So he hasn't been sentenced yet and the judge in his wisdom not mine let him out for xmas.

But he was jailed in 2004 for 10 years. He was out in 2011 to commit the crime he is being sentenced for next month. He had at least 3 years of his sentence suspended for the rape. Then he commits another crime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

catallus wrote: »
    Temporary release is rarely less than a fortnight. The prisoner may have to show up at the prison intermittently during these times to prove they are complying with the conditions of their release.

If true is bad reporting by rte/shatter

• Advertisement

Boombastic wrote: »
    But he was jailed in 2004 for 10 years. He was out in 2011 to commit the crime he is being sentenced for next month. He had at least 3 years of his sentence suspended for the rape. Then he commits another crime

Remission

Prisoners have a right to remission of one-quarter of their prison sentence. However, part of this remission may be cancelled as disciplinary punishment. Whether or not you get remission depends on your good behaviour while you are in prison.

From my link above, btw I am in agreement with you on some of your points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

realies wrote: »
    Apoligies you could be right,

No apologies are allowed in this forum I think:pac::)

Temporary Release is a long established custom for prisoners worldwide since the beginning of the twentieth century. It has become a necessity in the day-to-day running of prisons, due to over-crowding but also to the over-liberalistic application of punishment to criminals.

There's a lot of anger and understandable bile in this thread but i would say that there is a reason the judge's chair is higher than everyone else in the court.

My solution? 45'000 more prison places!

We're going to need them, the way this city's citizens are losing their minds:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

The thing I question is how specifically can Sean Quinn be given temppoary release when he can be considered a real and likely flight risk due to the fact that his son is currently doing exactly that!

Also, can someone answer me this, Is this release included in time served or does he have to make this time up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

The thing I question is how specifically can Sean Quinn be given temppoary release when he can be considered a real and likely flight risk due to the fact that his son is currently doing exactly that!

Also, can someone answer me this, Is this release included in time served or does he have to make this time up?

To be honest I can't see how a prisoner in for contempt is able to be given any kind of release. I was sure a judge would have to allow it.

Advertisement