Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas release from prision

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

It's not up to me to think about them. That's what they should've done. Then they wouldn't find themselves where they are.

Prison should mean prison.

So what does prison mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

HondaSami wrote: »
    when is he due for release? did he get ten yrs originally?
    Don't know how long he got originally, but he is up on more charges since and awaiting sentencing next month, so it's not like he's turned his life around or found god or anything

@charlemont - that's very worrying

Sar_Bear wrote: »
    Sorry but if you're going to rape people, attack people, break into houses and so on you don't deserve mercy, not even at Christmas.

Thankfully that is not an opinion held by the people responsible for their care.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

when is he due for release? did he get ten yrs originally?

He got 10 years for the rape and for his at the time suspended sentences. When he committed the rape he was already out on bail for previous crimes including threatening to kill a garda (he tried to hit the garda in the neck with a bill hook after making the threat).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Kess73 wrote: »
    He got 10 years for the rape.When he committed the rape he was already out on bail for previous crimes and including threatening to kill a garda (he tried to hit the garda in the neck with a bill hook after making the threat).

How on earth did he get approval for TR?

• Advertisement

Odysseus wrote: »
    So what does prison mean?
    It doesn't matter how many, if it's more than 0 it's too many

To answer your question, some further reading for you
    pris·on (przn)
    n.
    1. A place for the confinement of persons in lawful detention, especially persons convicted of crimes.
    2. A place or condition of confinement or forcible restraint.
    3. A state of imprisonment or captivity.
    tr.v. pris·oned, pris·on·ing, pris·ons
    To confine in or as if in a prison; imprison.
    pris·on

or if you've a bit of time:

Prison:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Stheno wrote: »
    How on earth did he get approval for TR?

The good old Irish system I guess.

Violent re-offenders just get chance after chance to re-offend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Since when have violent rapists been granted TR at Christmas?
    It doesn't happen
    , but don't let that stop you stirring the pot!
    Boombastic wrote: »
    Here's one example,

A GANG rapist who also threatened to burn the home of the sister of Euromillions winner Dolores McNamara is to be released from prison for Christmas.

Thomas O'Neill (24) -- who led a horrific gang rape in Cratloe Woods, Co Clare, in 2004 -- will be freed from prison next week for a fortnight.

Maybe gang rape isn't violent enough for you? but don't let that stop you from stirring the pot
    You have given one example, how many will get TR? Out of all those who get TR how many are sex offender and violent criminals?

So when you say others you are saying any criminal [like a person in for non payment of fines] or are you using a strong example like a rapist and others mean similar crimes?

You still did not answer my question, why is it daft?

I'm a bit lost now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

This is the full story of what your dealing with http://www.independent.ie/national-news/man-25-is-jailed-for-20-years-over-role-in-savage-gang-rape-256637.html

the older fella hung himself in prison in 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

There will be at least two of the rapists from that attack out in Limerick for Xmas. Laughable given that pretty much every rapist involved in that attack managed to rack up a number of extra convictions since then.

I guess gang raping a woman and imprisoning her partner to force him to listen was not a serious enough crime to warrant getting the rapists off the streets quickly once caught.

I suppose the only good thing is that one of the rapists is now dead and cannot harm any other decent folk.

That was a very disturbing crime. I cant see how anything but life imprisonment would have been a suitable punishment.

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter how many, if it's more than 0 it's too many

To answer your question, some further reading for you
    pris·on (przn)
    n.
    1. A place for the confinement of persons in lawful detention, especially persons convicted of crimes.
    2. A place or condition of confinement or forcible restraint.
    3. A state of imprisonment or captivity.
    tr.v. pris·oned, pris·on·ing, pris·ons
    To confine in or as if in a prison; imprison.
    pris·on

or if you've a bit of time:

Prison:pac:

The poster I asked seems to have his own concept of prison, which is why I'm asking.

Still more than 0 is still only an opinion; so I guess you don't know then. TR is part and parcle of the prison experience, it can be a important part of the experience is used correctly.

godeas16 wrote: »
    This is the full story of what your dealing with http://www.independent.ie/national-news/man-25-is-jailed-for-20-years-over-role-in-savage-gang-rape-256637.html

the older fella hung himself in prison in 2012.

Horrific, I hope that couple has been able to rebuild their lives:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

He got 10 years for the rape and for his at the time suspended sentences. When he committed the rape he was already out on bail for previous crimes including threatening to kill a garda (he tried to hit the garda in the neck with a bill hook after making the threat).

Has he served this sentence? Im a bit confused tbh.
    Before the trial began again in front of a new jury, O'Neill -- who has been in custody since January -- pleaded guilty yesterday before Judge Moran.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=thomas%20o%20neill%20rapist&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDEQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.herald.ie%2Fnews%2Frapist-in-threat-to-millionaires-sister-out-for-christmas-3325985.html&ei=kwLSUIaPJ8yEhQf7mYGABQ&usg=AFQjCNF8sZ2xYQzBCURbSNsXzu3dV_TtPw

The poster I asked seems to have his own concept of prison, which is why I'm asking.

Still more than 0 is still only an opinion; so I guess you don't know then. TR is part and parcle of the prison experience, it can be a important part of the experience is used correctly.

Don't they get the last few years of their sentence suspended as incentive?

That's for another crime he is being sentenced for, next month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

What is he in jail for at the moment? Has he served his sentence for the rape?

I understood from your link he is serving a sentence for rape.

No, if you are asking if that applies to everyone. A suspended sentence is handed out by the judge [or not as the case may be] when their case is being dealt with. Its not automatic maybe your thinking of remission?

What is he in jail for at the moment? Has he served his sentence for the rape?

I understood from your link he is serving a sentence for rape.

He got 10 years for rape. He shouldn't be out until 2014 if he served the full sentence. He was out in 2011, to commit the charge he is being sentenced for next month.

If he was out in 2011 and 2014 would be his total sentence, he a least got 3 years suspended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Sorry but if you're going to rape people, attack people, break into houses and so on you don't deserve mercy, not even at Christmas.

I didnt make up the rules around christmsas, but isnt it supposed to be a time of goodwill to all men?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

john47832 wrote: »

I didnt make up the rules around christmsas, but isnt it supposed to be a time of goodwill to all men?

You're joking, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

You're joking, right?

I never joke about christmas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The Minister for Justice Alan Shatter has announced that 226 prisoners will be granted temporary release this Christmas.

This figure represents approximately 4% of the overall prisoner population.

The corresponding numbers released for Christmas in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 were 107, 176, 134 and 160 respectively.

In a statement the minister said the increase in numbers this year is representative of the successful roll-out in prisons of the Incentivised Regimes policy.

The policy incentivises prisoners to engage with services and it rewards good behaviour.

The prisoners being released are nearing the end of their sentences and the overriding concern when considering the applications is the safety of the public.

In general the periods of release vary from a few hours up to seven nights.

All releases are subject to stringent conditions and any offender who breaks these conditions may be arrested and returned immediately to prison by the gardaí.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1221/prisoner-release.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I think it should be stopped. It goes without saying that violent criminals shouldn't be released at Christmas but even non-violent criminals shouldn't, in my opinion. I mean, why Christmas? Why not birthdays, anniverseries, family events etc. too?

Criminals gave up their rights to enjoy the above events the minute they commited the crime. Sentences aren't harsh enough in this country as it is to let people out for Christmas anyway. I'm all for rehabilitation but there has to be punishment too. Serve your full sentence, prove you're rehabilitated and then you can be released to enjoy your Christmas. Not a minute sooner, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

Here's one example,

A GANG rapist who also threatened to burn the home of the sister of Euromillions winner Dolores McNamara is to be released from prison for Christmas.

Thomas O'Neill (24) -- who led a horrific gang rape in Cratloe Woods, Co Clare, in 2004 -- will be freed from prison next week for a fortnight.

google him, mighty interesting reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I think it should be stopped. It goes without saying that violent criminals shouldn't be released at Christmas but even non-violent criminals shouldn't, in my opinion. I mean, why Christmas? Why not birthdays, anniverseries, family events etc. too?

Criminals gave up their rights to enjoy the above events the minute they commited the crime. Sentences aren't harsh enough in this country as it is to let people out for Christmas anyway. I'm all for rehabilitation but there has to be punishment too. Serve your full sentence, prove you're rehabilitated and then you can be released to enjoy your Christmas. Not a minute sooner, in my opinion.

I think these apply too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

catallus wrote: »
    I think these apply too....

Well your thinking be wrong.

realies wrote: »
    The Minister for Justice Alan Shatter has announced that 226 prisoners will be granted temporary release this Christmas.

This figure represents approximately 4% of the overall prisoner population.

The corresponding numbers released for Christmas in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 were 107, 176, 134 and 160 respectively.

In a statement the minister said the increase in numbers this year is representative of the successful roll-out in prisons of the Incentivised Regimes policy.

The policy incentivises prisoners to engage with services and it rewards good behaviour.

The prisoners being released are nearing the end of their sentences and the overriding concern when considering the applications is the safety of the public.

In general the periods of release vary from a few hours up to seven nights.

All releases are subject to stringent conditions and any offender who breaks these conditions may be arrested and returned immediately to prison by the gardaí.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1221/prisoner-release.html

How come the rapist gets 2 weeks if the release ranges from a few hours up to 7 nights...special treatment?

How come the rapist gets 2 weeks if the release ranges from a few hours up to 7 nights...special treatment?

He needs time to assemble a gang obviously

realies wrote: »
    Well your thinking be wrong.

I think Temporary release applies to family funerals and other family events.

Temporary release is rarely less than a fortnight. The prisoner may have to show up at the prison intermittently during these times to prove they are complying with the conditions of their release.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Do criminals get out of prison for christmas?

Advertisement