Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford to New Ross to be revived

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Exactly. Lines worked until 1975 are clearly in state ownership ( unless sold) owing to the 30 year rule on Squatter Rights that apply to state land.

Parts of the Loughrea line were evidently sold...someone has a big dirty private collection of trains parked on it in Dunsandle. :)

They do that a bit in France on disused lines, our Elfin Safety culture may not allow us to do likewise. Add to that, rails would be removed for scrap metal and gurriers would leave stuff on the rails for a laugh...that's why we can't have nice things :(

I'm sure the gun mount is a humourous aside....

I have been on one of the Belgian ones. It was fun but not that much! As you say it seems unlikely that such a venture would be allowed here. I recall some Greenn Party PR stunt with a rail bike on WRC a few years back. If you look at the youtuube link a few posts previously you will see a rail walker with gun. I assumed a railbiker might also have the right too bear arms!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

How abut what they are doing on mothballed lines in New Zealand (where H&S isn't an obstruction to good ideas or common sense) :D

http://www.rotoruanz.com/media/industry_news.php?id=186

worldfirst46199_lg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

all gone quiet on this line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Maybe, to use a well worn cliche, the promoters have run out of steam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭deegs2

out of steam "yes" got off our arse's and made an effort to change things instead of sitting on your FAT arse's giving out about every little thing...would you folks on here (the moner's and begrudgers) ider get a girlfriend or get a life.....rant over..chow

jeez my wife would kill me....

so what's happening then?

(btw Mooncoin right on the doorstep of Carrick on suir...ever thought of joining forces with the ITG Deegs?

So...exactly what have you got off your arse's (sic.) and done? Please elaborate.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cyberbeagle

My arse has never been on the seat ;)

And I have a wonderful girlfriend.

Do I not fit a stereotype?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,316 ✭✭✭✭Victor

deegs2 wrote: »
    out of steam "yes" got off our arse's and made an effort to change things instead of sitting on your FAT arse's giving out about every little thing...would you folks on here (the moner's and begrudgers) ider get a girlfriend or get a life.....rant over..chow
    No need for abuse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

Reality hurts, the fact is you were never going to get anywhere. Judging by your attitude here and elsewhere this was a deadcert

I'm sorry I re-opened this debate. Mis-guided as it appeared it might have been our best hope of a full-size preserved line in the Republic. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭deegs2

sorry lads my comment was solely aimed at a comment gobnaitolunacy made..gets my blood boiling....a total of 28 thousand was spent on clearing the entire line to access the state of the line and after clearing it, it was clear that 85% of the line would need replacing...so thats where we are....

Actually I expect we could have told you that. The rails and the fittings might be usable, but it would all need to be taken up and re-sleepered, re-ballasted the drains sorted out etc. €28000 wasted (unless it becomes a footpath which I thought the point of the survey was.

I wouldn't let that put you off if you are serious. I recommend you read "Railway adventure" by Tom Rolt about the birth of preservation and the state the Talyllyn was in on purchase...and that was still running!

The one thing you need more than anything is Volunteers. You can't do it by expecting someone else to do it, you can only get in there and roll up your sleeves. Money can be got, Labour is a scarcer resource.

PS there is a HUGE sale of Narrow Guage and other locos in South Africa going on at the moment, maybe a good source of stuff, see the Welsh Highland Railway for inspiration (and they got that don largely with Grants.... just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

sorry lads my comment was solely aimed at a comment gobnaitolunacy made..gets my blood boiling....a total of 28 thousand was spent on clearing the entire line to access the state of the line and after clearing it, it was clear that 85% of the line would need replacing...so thats where we are....

Putting on my curious hat on here for a minute.

1) Who exactly are the "we" that you speak of? What group is it; what is their name, who is it comprised of, who is their chairman, what are their aims, where are you based, who can join etc?

I ask this as somebody who is involved in preservation circles here for a number of years and as of yet I, and many others whom I know (Some of whom will know more than me) have very little idea about what is meant to be going on in the New Ross area.

2) Are you a member of this group? And if so, have you got an executive or specific role within the group?

3) Have CIE, Irish Rail, RPSI and the RSC been dealing with you on a formal or semi formal level?

I ask these questions in the interest of allowing you to establish some credentials about your group in a more positive and friendlier setting and to allow us all to see if we are in a position to help you.

Can I just say on a purely personal POV, but if regauging a standard gauge line to narrow gauge was indeed a serious proposal, can I declare "groan"? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Can I just say on a purely personal POV, but if regauging a standard gauge line to narrow gauge was indeed a serious proposal, can I declare "groan"? :(

Very expensive too. Even a euro millions winner couldn't restore a railway. I'm sure cie would have gotten every last mile out of it before closing it down.

Just to repeat my advice to read "Railway Adventure". It doesn't matter what state it's in ,it all has to be rebuilt anyway; it can be done , and often has in the UK, on a shoestring, but it takes years of hard voluntary effort, starting from small beginnings.
    The first thing needed is a group of willing people and then a base is needed and a plan.
    Can it be done in Ireland? maybe...it can't be done on the Internet though

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

corktina wrote: »
    it can't be done on the Internet though

Oddly enough there was a facebook group claiming to reopen this very line a while ago, claiming they had secured a steam engine from Downpatrick - turned out Downpatrick never agreed to it and they even got engines number wrong lol

Oddly enough there was a facebook group claiming to reopen this very line a while ago, claiming they had secured a steam engine from Downpatrick - turned out Downpatrick never agreed to it and they even got engines number wrong lol

Never agreed? Never been approached!!! ;)

• Advertisement

Judging by the state of the permanent way on the you tube video a platelayers trolley couldn't go on it now never mind a steam loco.

wasn't it cleared by rail mounted road-railers?

corktina wrote: »
    wasn't it cleared by rail mounted road-railers?

I was joking. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

Putting on my curious hat on here for a minute.

1) Who exactly are the "we" that you speak of?

We = 'me'

Was it 28000 of your own money you put into that project? Holy moley no wonder you're easily annoyed.

jca wrote: »
    Was it 28000 of your own money you put into that project? Holy moley no wonder you're easily annoyed.

I get the impression they were only jumping on the bandwagon of the crowd clearing it for assessment primarily for a greenway (nothing wrong with that, seizing an opportunity)

Still awaiting a response from their smooth talking spokesman...

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/1158287/tumbleweed-o.gif

Still awaiting a response from their smooth talking spokesman...

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/1158287/tumbleweed-o.gif

Oooh. Nasteee. I only managed to open your link this morning because the sky bb is so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,915 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Any word on what's happening here? Took a walk last week and the thorny bushes are starting to regrow.

Will it just degenerate into wilderness again? Prob no money available to take it a step further and actually do something with it.

• Advertisement

all gone quiet again. Nothing will happen without committed band of volunteers. Money is the second problem .

Advertisement