Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford to New Ross to be revived

Options
  • 19-12-2012 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Front page of the Munster Express carrying a story that the Waterford & Suir Valley Heritage Railway is heading in another direction! Pity is they can't link the two. The website not updated yet but I'll have a look at the hard copy tomorrow I expect.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Only in Ireland, insert roll eyes thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

is this maybe the latest from the crowd who claimed to have acquired the New Ross line and a diesel unit to operate it?

Lets be straight, a standard Irish gauge line in the South would be great and I'd be wanting to join if it was anywhere near me. I can't see it happening though.

Are they the same group as the New Ross fruit loops on Bookface?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭dowlingm

what good is rolling stock from NIR or IE to a narrow gauge line?

How is a Narrow gauge line "restoring" it to "it's former glory"?

This wont end well methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

More absolute BS. I would love to see the accounts for the existing Waterford & Suir Valley narrow gauge operation. What next, regauge Waterford/Rosslare Strand? :rolleyes:

Are you right there Michael - the men behind the railway.

SUIR%2B1.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 29,000 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

theirs more chance of me opening an electrified spur from my house to either the rosslare dublin or rosslare waterford lines then this happening, and the chance of that is (yes you guessed it) no chance, if it does i will give a full and frank Apology on this thread.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

I worked for the Bell Lines shipping company in Waterford in 1993 94, I got a footplate ride to New Ross on the fertliser train from a very friendly driver who also used to work Bell Liners trains to crossing point to Dublin.
    But I remember the ride to New Ross, it was very bumpy and the curves where very sharp, I think the train was restricted to 25MPH, but the track at that time was in an awful state, no wonder it closed, but my point, it will cost millions of euros to restored it to the modern day safety stantands, its a pipe dream, these people I don't think have thought through, lots of dreams and ideas, but a lack of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The heritage railway will be the longest narrow gauge railway in the country
    ...if you ignore the Bord na Mona network which is one of the longest narrow gauge railways in Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

Just to clarify this organisation with the New Ross line is separate to that of the Waterford & Suir Valley Railway (Kilmeadan-Waterford). The one concerned here is the Suir, Nore and Barrow Railway Heritage Co. Ltd, it's getting a bit confusing with all these heritage railways down in Waterford ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,316 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are they the same group as the New Ross fruit loops on Bookface?
    No need for posts like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Eiretrains wrote: »
    Just to clarify this organisation with the New Ross line is separate to that of the Waterford & Suir Valley Railway (Kilmeadan-Waterford). The one concerned here is the Suir, Nore and Barrow Railway Heritage Co. Ltd, it's getting a bit confusing with all these heritage railways down in Waterford ;)

Sounds like they should merge!

mike65 wrote: »
    Sounds like they should merge!

sounds like a breakaway to me!

[inserts obligatory Life of Brian clip herwe!]

Peoples Railway Of Suir

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Looks like the New Ross branch has been cut loose for the last three years. Of course, it makes you wonder what a "relatively new" turnout was doing there in 2009.

http://www.irrs.ie/Journal%20170/170%20Infrastructure.htm
    Waterford On 9 August the relatively new and unused manganese turnout to the New Ross branch at Abbey Junction was taken out for use elsewhere. Abbey Junction ground frame was also taken out of use. The branch is now disconnected. The connection to Gouldings sidings at Waterford West was also removed on 9 August.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

The line from Rosslare to Waterford should of never been closed. The old station for foot passengers should of been left where it was and TRAINS TIMED TO MEEY FERRIES!

What took place in the last decade was purposeful corporate sabotage to destroy a potentially lucrative service for foot passengers. There is still a market for these folks, otherwise the train services on the other end would not be improved.

The line from Rosslare to Waterford should of never been closed. The old station for foot passengers should of been left where it was and TRAINS TIMED TO MEEY FERRIES!

What took place in the last decade was purposeful corporate sabotage to destroy a potentially lucrative service for foot passengers. There is still a market for these folks, otherwise the train services on the other end would not be improved.

if the whole lot was somewhere else it would have been left alone, CIE has nothing but contempt for anything to do with rosslare, so not surprised the line to waterford was sacrificed for ennis athenry and the station moved to discouradge foot passengers.

different line altogether

Waterford - New Ross and Waterford - Rosslare are quite unconnected. One goes north south the other east west.

Just found another thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056442445 maybe someone could do a merge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Magpie1951

Hey lads I spotted this photo over on another forum and it seems to be some track clearance work going on near where the Gouldings fertillizer siding was at New Ross!!
    551445_10200523153828399_732964992_n.jpg

Anybody on here located nearby who has seen any of this in the flesh?

Has this anything to do with the preservtion group who had claimed to have obtained a licence to run a train on the New Ross line or more likely is this the groundwork being done to allow the trackword to be lifted by IE?

Intriguing picture but whatever is going on it won't be CIE/IE that lift the line as it would be put out to tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

This line is now cleared nearly all the way from New Ross to Belview port. Anyone know what's the story

Intriguing picture but whatever is going on it won't be CIE/IE that lift the line as it would be put out to tender.

They'd better hurry the f__ up or it'll be lifted for them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

anyone hazard a guess whats going on?

davidlacey wrote: »
    anyone hazard a guess whats going on?

Stocktaking by IE so that they can put the lot out to tender? In the past the tender documents have been very specific - right down to the number of chairs, fishplates, sleepers etc. being offered.

Stocktaking by IE so that they can put the lot out to tender? In the past the tender documents have been very specific - right down to the number of chairs, fishplates, sleepers etc. being offered.
    yet whatever they get still won't save our railways from destruction by those waste of space management

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Greenway anyone???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Greenway anyone???

That would be the most logical outcome. 1995 was the last time a train traversed that line and that record looks like it will continue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

A light railway from New Ross to Tramore via Waterford would be a better outcome! :D

*ducks*

Advertisement