Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I complain to ASA about "road tax" in car ads?

Options
  • 18-12-2012 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭

We all know that motorists frequently use the "you don't pay road tax" (sic) line at cyclists. Almost all car related ads I see and hear talk about "road tax" too.

I am thinking of reporting these ads to the Advertising Standards Authority to get them changed to say "motor tax"

Anyone see any flaws in this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

daymobrew wrote: »
    We all know that motorists frequently use the "you don't pay road tax" (sic) line at cyclists. Almost all car related ads I see and hear talk about "road tax" too.

I am thinking of reporting these ads to the Advertising Standards Authority to get them changed to say "motor tax"

Is it not carbon emissions tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

I like it. Get the RSA to give feedback too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Seconded
    It's rife in print media advertisements and plain wrong. I disagree with your us and them sentiment, that doesn't factor for me at all, many cyclists drive and pay motor tax and not road tax so the text in the add is just wrong.

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Is it not carbon emissions tax?

https://www.motortax.ie/

edit: "The licencing for motor tax of new cars registered from 1st July 2008 is determined on the basis of the CO2 emissions level of the car, based on seven CO 2 bands."

So not far wrong Lusky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭marketty

Got a great deal when I bought my Peugeot, free 'road tax' for life

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »

https://www.motortax.ie/

edit: "The licencing for motor tax of new cars registered from 1st July 2008 is determined on the basis of the CO2 emissions level of the car, based on seven CO 2 bands."

So not far wrong Lusky.

YES! Thanks Buffaly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

"The licencing for motor tax of new cars registered from 1st July 2008 is determined on the basis of the CO2 emissions level of the car, based on seven CO 2 bands.".
    Level, but not the amount, which is where the idea of motor taxation fails.

Seweryn wrote: »
    Level, but not the amount, which is where the idea of motor taxation fails.

I guess taxes on petrol fill that gap to some extent - the more you use your motor, the more you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I guess taxes on petrol fill that gap to some extent - the more you use your motor, the more you pay.
    If you use your car a lot and the tax is reasonably low, then yes.

If you cycle on daily basis and have a lovely, inexpensive estate car to bring you with the bike into different places, say once a month, and the tax is €1,600 per year, then it gets completely out of proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Once they dont start taxing cyclists based on CO2 emissions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Once they dont start taxing cyclists based on CO2 emissions.
    I probably produce more methane than CO2 anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Much worse, in planetary and personal terms... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Iwannahurl wrote: »

Especially for anyone slipstreaming.

daymobrew wrote: »

Flaws? What kind of flaws could you imagine?

I think it's worth making a complaint to the ASAI, if only to point out the factual error. Ads must not be untruthful or misleading, afaik.

However, I am also of the view that a cultural myth persists with regard to "road tax" and that it leads some motorists to believe that they have purchased higher status and superior rights on the public highway. It is just one small aspect of our Car is King culture, but deserves to be addressed anyway.

Ads using the term "road tax" perpetuate the myth, and are factually incorrect in any case.

Go for it, I say. Bear in mind that the ASAI recently decreed that ads can't depict cyclists without helmets, even if it's just a family cycling in the park. The ASAI needs to be educated about these issues.

Your complaint might also help, just a little, to eradicate attitudes like this:

quietriot wrote: »
    Another thing that I find extremely annoying is a lot of cyclists. The first bunch are those who cycle on the road, right beside a cycle lane. I usually try and drive right up beside them quickly to give them a bit of a fright, and if there's traffic ahead I'll pull into the curb so they can't cycle past and have to hop into the cycle lane. Those lanes cost money, they're there to be used so either use them or get off the f-ing road. When we start taxing cyclists like we do motorists, then they can have a say on how the roads are used. For now, follow instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The planet obviously doesn't care how the carbon is distributed.

Ask them while they're at it to get the motorists in said ads to wear helmets and hi-viz jackets :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Flaws? What kind of flaws could you imagine?

I think it's worth making a complaint to the ASAI, if only to point out the factual error. Ads must not be untruthful or misleading, afaik.
    I couldn't think of any flaws in my plan but wanted to be sure I hadn't overlooked anything glaringly obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I already moaned about it. deaf ears. Citroen at the time I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think some people in the UK made a similar complaint to the equivalent authority there. I don't think the equivalent authority cared.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Though methane does have a lower atmospheric residency time.

I wrote a whole Masters thesis in which I attempted to calculate how much methane Pollardstown Fen emits. I can't remember how much it was now. I do remember how much I enjoyed cycling out to Pollardstown Fen at four a.m. though, and how pretty the mist rising off the fen at the break of dawn was.

• Advertisement

kenmc wrote: »
    I already moaned about it. deaf ears. Citroen at the time I think it was.

How long ago was that, and what was the content of your complaint?

By the way, I can't find anything on the ASAI website using the keyword "tax". Does that mean their bulletins do not include complaints that were not upheld?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

can't really remember, it was over a year ago I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I think some people in the UK made a similar complaint to the equivalent authority there. I don't think the equivalent authority cared.

In fairness to them, it's pretty hard to.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lashed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

What else would you expect from that sloppy rag?

Oh you're talking about the paper :o

Here is the complaint that I submitted to the ASAI:
    The ad mentions: low road tax.
    This is misleading, or simply incorrect, because no vehicle is subject to ROAD TAX but rather MOTOR TAX.
    Every radio, print and television ad for vehicles incorrectly mentions ROAD TAX.

The issue is that cyclists are attacked verbally and in print by drivers for not paying ROAD TAX, with the implication that they should not be on the road. The attacks are often very aggressive and intimidating.

I would like to see all motor vehicle advertising use the correct term - MOTOR TAX. Note, to renew your vehicle tax disc you go to motortax.ie, not roadtax.ie.
    I used the Lexus RX Hybrid ad on the back of the Irish Times Magazine or December 15 2012 as the example case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Lashed wrote: »

It is ironic that many people pay a higher annual motor tax charge than her fine for persistent tax evasion.

Ironic and sh1tty

I got a reply from ASAI but they are not going to take any action as they feel that do not feel that the error is likely to mislead consumers.
    I would have to concede their decision. I think that I should contact SIMI (though they refer to Road Tax on a page about Motor Tax)
    The function of the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland is to ensure that advertisers comply with the requirements of the Code of Standards for Advertising, Promotional and Direct Marketing in Ireland. We are prepared to investigate complaints concerning advertisements that may be considered to be in breach of the Code. We examined the issues from the point of determining if the matters raised by you were likely to be misleading to consumers.

In this case, while we appreciate your concerns we do not feel that the advertisement is likely to mislead consumers. The Code requires that an advertisement be assessed in the light of its probable effect and when taken as a whole. We note your concerns, however, we do not consider that the term "road tax" is materially misleading. We will convey your concern at this issue to the advertiser involved without disclosing your identity.

While we are not in a position to pursue your complaint we are grateful that you took the time to let us know your concerns in the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

however, we do not consider that the term "road tax" is materially misleading.

I wonder what they do consider misleading then, the must have a very soft view of what does.

Advertisement