Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pain Caves

Options
  • 18-12-2012 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭

Ok what is everyones setup, shed, dedicated room, in the attic or out in the cold? Where does the "magic" happen...and no i am not talking about in the bedroom!!

Pic of my "work in progress" below. I still need to do a bit of clearing in that room to make some more space. Will probably throw a rower in and allow an area for core work etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Ok what is everyones setup, shed, dedicated room, in the attic or out in the cold? Where does the "magic" happen...and no i am not talking about in the bedroom!!

Pic of my "work in progress" below. I still need to do a bit of clearing in that room to make some more space. Will probably throw a rower in and allow an area for core work etc.

But my magic does happen in the bedroom. Its a small apartment so the turbo is set up in the spare room..

What size frame is that? Looking for a bike for Michelle, but I didn't think we'd get one small enough....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

You'll need one of these:
    341148362_345.jpg

And maybe a mop.

I'm currently looking for a house to move in with my girlfriend, two houses she showed me this week had sheds. All I could think was "That would be perfect for a turbo"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Does it not get awful hot doing turbo sessions in the house? I couldn't imagine that fan being enough to keep you cool. Nice setup though. Beats the hell out of my poxy portable in the shed :D

I'd better do a quick tidy up before taking a pic this week. Weeks of my OH nagging me to tidy up and I only do it for a photo op! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I used to have a lovely spot in a converted attic but alas since the young lad is underneath it wasnt practical with the noise so out to the shed I went. Beginning to think of going up there again, its freezing for the first few minutes and its not like I am using it before 7am and after 7pm anyways.

The shelf is the small bit of DIY that I am capable of, while its fine for watching movies with the road bike its too high for the TT bike and the neck is killing me after a few minutes. WIll need to bring it down when the TT bikes comes out of semi retirement in the new year

The threadmill is the wifes, I put up a huge fight up over not getting it (I knew she wouldn't listen and she would get it anyways ;)). Of course I will use it, great for brick sessions but I wanted to make sure she knew the threadmill was her baby before so I throw it back in her face in a few months if I am caught buying new gear. The bloody thing stopped working after about a week anyways :rolleyes:

Note the bane of my life turf beside it, have often thought of giving it a boot when I am suffering.

* If we get lucky we might see Gibbos "shed", now that's a training room although you could do with a bigger TV

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

What you need is a mural on that wall. Make it look like you're going over a mountain pass or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

What you need is a mural on that wall. Make it look like you're going over a mountain pass or something.

Just paint it white, hang a projector behind you and stick on a DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

BTH wrote: »
    But my magic does happen in the bedroom. Its a small apartment so the turbo is set up in the spare room..

What size frame is that? Looking for a bike for Michelle, but I didn't think we'd get one small enough....

53inch frame, it looks smaller in the photo due to the angle:)
    hardCopy wrote: »
    I'm currently looking for a house to move in with my girlfriend, two houses she showed me this week had sheds. All I could think was "That would be perfect for a turbo"

I am sure most of us would do the same.
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Does it not get awful hot doing turbo sessions in the house? I couldn't imagine that fan being enough to keep you cool. Nice setup though. Beats the hell out of my poxy portable in the shed :D

I'd better do a quick tidy up before taking a pic this week. Weeks of my OH nagging me to tidy up and I only do it for a photo op! :D

It can get the warm, i have a 2nd bigger fan which is not in that picture and the back patio doors also open out so not too bad. Nothing like a photo op to get a room cleaned:)
    catweazle wrote: »
    The shelf is the small bit of DIY that I am capable of

That shelf looks crooked, did you use a spirit level;). That must be mentally tough stuck looking at a brick wall in front of you and turf to the right of you. Hardy boyo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Pain Cave: both from a work and training perspective.
    OH PC on the left catch up on Sky Go, 4OD, etc.
    Fan to keep me cool, never turn the rad on in this room.
    Bit of space for core in the middle.
    Will move the turbo to the right of the treadie when I'm using it.

8285074988_135e653264_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Much prefer getting out the door after a turbo. However pain cave set up ideal for single parents.... hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Pain Cave: both from a work and training perspective.
    OH PC on the left catch up on Sky Go, 4OD, etc.
    Fan to keep me cool, never turn the rad on in this room.
    Bit of space for core in the middle.
    Will move the turbo to the right of the treadie when I'm using it.

8285074988_135e653264_c.jpg

that is epic

• Advertisement

Much prefer getting out the door after a turbo. However pain cave set up ideal for single parents.... hmmm

Nice to have the options, treadie's great for early morning doubles, don't have to worry about what to wear, just crawl out of bed and if the bowels wake up before the end of the run :eek:
    Both are great when I'm 'looking' after the kids ;)

Nice setup Dom, that's what I am going to like most about the Treddie, the more options it gives and the ease of rolling out of bed onto it. Plenty of use tonight, eldest lad 5k and missus 10k. Reckon I will need to book a slot at this rate.

Just to clarify, this is more a meditation chamber than a pain cave.

There's more thinking and planning going on than actual doing. Punchbag is hung in the garage & original plan was to set bike up there, but its more comfy in the house :o

Just to clarify, this is more a meditation chamber than a pain cave.

There's more thinking and planning going on than actual doing. Punchbag is hung in the garage & original plan was to set bike up there, but its more comfy in the house :o

Where did you get the mats, I play Russian Roulette with the static on my treadie!

Where did you get the mats, I play Russian Roulette with the static on my treadie!

The same happened me when my hand accidently hit off the metal pulse pad, gave me a nice little jolt.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You guys are so neat! My pain cave involves moving stuff around to find a clear space, then continually telling kids, dog and oh to either bugger off or that Im fine and yes Im meant to sound like this.

After seeing these organised setups, I need a spring clean of my room.

Ah don't be fooled by photoshop!

Do a CSI on the reflection in the doors and you'll see all the crap piled up just out of shot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Deadly setups! Want!

Dodgy image of my spare bedroom. Bedside locker usually sits in front of the front wheel with a laptop perched on top. Open the window, fan on, and work away.

7CE136C6-7ED9-4262-827E-D6061B037D6F-1105-00000166A6D93A08.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Very questionable bedding sheet colors there BTH - she has you pussy whipped before you have even got the ring on.

The Exocet is a lovely looking bike

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    Very questionable bedding sheet colors there BTH - she has you pussy whipped before you have even got the ring on.

The Exocet is a lovely looking bike

She won't let me use the Arsenal one anymore. To be fair, I'm luck to get away with having it permanently set up there anyway. Best not rock the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Why do you need a bed in the spare room! Ive a spare room but no sign of a bed in it! Its time to man up BTH!!! ;)

She won't let me use the Arsenal one anymore.

Is that because Arsenal covers are only ever needed on single beds? :p

The same happened me when my hand accidently hit off the metal pulse pad, gave me a nice little jolt.

I'd a link to those a wee while back http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80988175.

However I was in Smyths this morning and they have similar sized mats at €12.99 for x4. They are not as thick or as heavy as the gym mats but they're definitely cheaper and might work out fine.

Bambaata wrote: »
    Why do you need a bed in the spare room! Ive a spare room but no sign of a bed in it! Its time to man up BTH!!! ;)

To be fair, the spare bed does get sporadic use. Michelles sister stayed on Tuesday night after flying in from Scotland. Being so close to the Airport means its used for family taking early flights out/late flights back.

Edit to add that yes, the bike stays exactly where it is when guests are staying over!
    Is that because Arsenal covers are only ever needed on single beds? :p

Thats just mean :mad:

Thats just mean :mad:

As a Liverpool fan I've long resigned myself to my covers just being fit for the rag bag at this stage. They're hardly fit to polish my bike with nowadays.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My turbo lives in the gym/spare room. My bike hasn't been near my turbo for months. :)

Must get a fan...

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

Bought a new house recently and now have a dedicated pain cave :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

A change coming in the next 4 months in my living arrangments, I will finally have a whole room to dedicate as a paincave! Will post then! Some nice set ups there, giving me ideas :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

http://sdrv.ms/VU9bMX

http://sdrv.ms/UcWkbq

Hope that works. I have no idea how to add pics from skydrive. Anyway if it does work, that's my gym. Yes I am spoilt :D Move to Tipperary he said, build me my own gym I said :p

Advertisement