Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Revision Books :)

Options
  • 17-12-2012 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Please help, as I will be sitting my Leaving Cert in 2014 and would like to purchase revision books to help me with my studies. These are the subjects that I am studying:
    Maths (H)
    English (H)
    Irish (H)
    French (H)
    Biology (H)
    Geography (H)
    Religion (H)

Religion is not really a concern, but I would really appreciateyour help with the others. Thank you. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Maths - Forget it, there aren't any out there for 2014. You can thank project Maths for that. It's a shame, I would've liked to use one for Maths. Some parts of the revision books published in 2011 would be relevant for 2014 though but not much.

English - Key Notes is the most common one. It has the Shakespeare play(Macbeth for us) and all the poets

Biology - I use Revise Wise, it's really good and ties in with the edco Leaving Cert Biology book, it's by the same author.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Found This Fork Sir

I haven't bought any yet, although Revise Wise or Rapid Revision seem to be the popular ones for most subjects in my year. Most people seem to stay away from Less Stress More Success, I've heard they aren't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

I haven't bought any yet, although Revise Wise or Rapid Revision seem to be the popular ones for most subjects in my year. Most people seem to stay away from Less Stress More Success, I've heard they aren't great.
    Less stress are actually good it depends on what subject you get it in.less stress is great for history but in the case of some subjects for the OP i would suggest sparknotes for english they are really good, revision books arent the best for it. Biology is quite easy to study i make my own notes. The revision books do cover a good bit of the course but i find they dont cover every last detail. Maths i agree revision books are useless for it. Rewise for irish is good. If you are buying a revision book look through them and decide for yourself. Ive revision books from all of the types there is no bad ones

It really depends on the subject.
    Less Stress for History is meant to be great. It's generally good for Humanities, I wouldn't use it for science subjects. I use it for Art History and it's just amazing so. I also have one for French but I haven't had a look at it (too early :)).

There's a revision book called Exam Edge, it's only available for Physics and Chemistry and it's the best I've seen for those subjects.

I found that you can't just pick one publisher for everything cos it really depends on the subject and the actual author.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Found This Fork Sir

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    It really depends on the subject.
    Less Stress for History is meant to be great. It's generally good for Humanities, I wouldn't use it for science subjects. I use it for Art History and it's just amazing so. I also have one for French but I haven't had a look at it (too early :)).

There's a revision book called Exam Edge, it's only available for Physics and Chemistry and it's the best I've seen for those subjects.

I found that you can't just pick one publisher for everything cos it really depends on the subject and the actual author.

Ah, I steer well clear of history, it was my downfall at JC, ruined my page of results :o I may look into it for art history though, thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

"Exam Skills" by Sue Honan is a must-have for geography. I lived off of it for the LC (I also used "Shortcuts to Success" as it has some very good sample answers- but it only does physical and regional- but you'll find some extra details and answers in that book that aren't in "Exam Skills")
    I never used my textbook in geography- those 2 revision books will cover you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Best revision book for Biology = NO REVISION BOOK
    Make notes (like an A4 notebook) from your book, you will learn as you're making the notes and you will recall what you learned form writing the notes you made much easier when reading the notes than just studying straight from your book, but don't just repeat the chapters word for word, MAKE THEM YOUR OWN AND CONDENSE! Trust me, using Revision Books in Bio brought me from an A to a C! I am going back to writing notes ASAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Sparkyhav

Too bad we havent received our biology textbook yet, just relying on the teacher's notes, which dont help much with studying :/

Sparkyhav wrote: »
    Too bad we havent received our biology textbook yet, just relying on the teacher's notes, which dont help much with studying :/

WHAT?! :eek:

HugsiePie wrote: »
    WHAT?! :eek:
    Yeah, thats how useless my school is :L

• Advertisement

Yeah, thats how useless my school is :L

That's CRAZY! Your in 5th year right? 3 months into school, YIKES. Well if that's the case in Bio get Exam Essentials Biology it's a tiny book which gets straight to the point (If you do Chem I would only study out of that book for Chem and not bother with the text book) but for Bio use that along side your teacher's notes. It is extremley straight forward and gets straight to the point, but as I said earlier use your other notes as well.

That's CRAZY! Your in 5th year right? 3 months into school, YIKES. Well if that's the case in Bio get Exam Essentials Biology it's a tiny book which gets straight to the point (If you do Chem I would only study out of that book for Chem and not bother with the text book) but for Bio use that along side your teacher's notes. It is extremley straight forward and gets straight to the point, but as I said earlier use your other notes as well.

Yeah, i am. Thank you for your help :)

Still need some peoples advice, so any would be helpful :)

Best revision book for Biology = NO REVISION BOOK
    Make notes (like an A4 notebook) from your book, you will learn as you're making the notes and you will recall what you learned form writing the notes you made much easier when reading the notes than just studying straight from your book, but don't just repeat the chapters word for word, MAKE THEM YOUR OWN AND CONDENSE! Trust me, using Revision Books in Bio brought me from an A to a C! I am going back to writing notes ASAP!
    Sounds like a lot of effort :p It's my second Biology test with revision books now but I don't rely solely on them, my teacher's notes are really good tbh so I use a combination of both

But for the likes of Art History..I need Less Stress More Success

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Please help, as I will be sitting my Leaving Cert in 2014 and would like to purchase revision books to help me with my studies. These are the subjects that I am studying:
    Maths (H)
    English (H)
    Irish (H)
    French (H)
    Biology (H)
    Geography (H)
    Religion (H)

Religion is not really a concern, but I would really appreciateyour help with the others. Thank you. :)

http://www.educate.ie/view-book.php?id=87

Sounds like a lot of effort :p It's my second Biology test with revision books now but I don't rely solely on them, my teacher's notes are really good tbh so I use a combination of both

But for the likes of Art History..I need Less Stress More Success
    Yes get less stress for art history im using it since 5th year and its really good. If your art his textbook is red then its the biggest waste of time ever :P

user.name wrote: »
    Yes get less stress for art history im using it since 5th year and its really good. If your art his textbook is red then its the biggest waste of time ever :P
    Nope it's the 1998 version of a book called Appreciation and History of Art. It's too complicated and according to my teacher they're all equally useless

Nope it's the 1998 version of a book called Appreciation and History of Art. It's too complicated and according to my teacher they're all equally useless

oh yeah i acidently bought that last year and had to get another one :P I'd use the less stress though. Of course it doesn't have every last detail in it, but I found studying out of the textbook horrid and nothing stuck :P

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mockshelp

As a past leaving cert student I want to say don't put too much attention on revision books. They are only good if you want to revise or refresh memory of the course coming up to an exam. They are of course REVISION books so you should use your normal textbook for learning the course and only use revision books to quickly revise/refresh your memory of the course before exams. For instance the biology revise wise is very good for revision but it is very very condensed down.

To get top marks I would say: use your normal textbook, make your own notes from it, use examinations.ie and download past papers and marking schemes. That's all you need.

I only got a B in biology for the leaving cert. I was running out of time and used the revise wise revision book. It's good in a way if your running out of time the Revise wise will quickly give you the main points of information. But it won't get you a A.

So basically revision books are great if you want to revise quickly but if you want A's do not be totally dependant on them!

Geo10 wrote: »
    "Exam Skills" by Sue Honan is a must-have for geography. I lived off of it for the LC (I also used "Shortcuts to Success" as it has some very good sample answers- but it only does physical and regional- but you'll find some extra details and answers in that book that aren't in "Exam Skills")
    I never used my textbook in geography- those 2 revision books will cover you! :)
    Purchased the two books, and love them, thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

For Higher Biology I used 'Essential Exam Revision' by Sarah Dilleen. Brilliant book, no extra material just exactly what you need to know.
    Although for most subjects I would recommend using a combination of revision book notes, teacher notes and textbooks to create your own written notes and learning them, I pretty much learned this book front to back for the Leaving Cert.

For Higher English the 'Key Notes' book is unreal. I had a useless teacher, so I used mostly this book and my own notes, but I have to say it was absolutely brilliant. Just don;t learn their sample answers off, use them as a guide to help create your own.

Purchased Key Notes for English and i love it, thanks for the suggestions :)

Thinking of purchasing my own biology textbook, any suggestions?

Thinking of purchasing my own biology textbook, any suggestions?

Biology textbooks are useless.
    We never used ours once.
    All teachers notes, most of which were adapted from revision books.
    Most bio textbooks have excessive material that can be confusing.

Yeah, but the notes that my teacher gives us are really useless, he leaves out key information and we have no textbook to fall back on :/

Yeah, but the notes that my teacher gives us are really useless, he leaves out key information and we have no textbook to fall back on :/

Oh really?
    I'd still stick with a revision book though. The one I used was essential exam revision by Sarah Dileen. Excellent book, most of my teachers notes came from it anyway. You wont be missing out key info with this one. :)

biohaiid wrote: »
    Oh really?
    I'd still stick with a revision book though. The one I used was essential exam revision by Sarah Dileen. Excellent book, most of my teachers notes came from it anyway. You wont be missing out key info with this one. :)
    A bit late on the reply, but oh well :L really considering the Sarah Dileen revision book, thank you :)

Any other suggestions? I think I have Biology and Geography sorted for revision books, but would appreciate any tips on other subjects :)

A bit late on the reply, but oh well :L really considering the Sarah Dileen revision book, thank you :)

No problem :)
    Go for it I say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

anyone any recommendations for a business revision book?

Advertisement