Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xmas work parties

Options
  • 16-12-2012 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

hi all i work in steel factory in the west there is about 22 or 23 people working 11 in the yard and the rest in the office. anyway the management is having night out for the office staff and nothing for the lads outside ,its been like that for the last few years, and its creating a bit of them and us attitude what do ye all think ????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Why aren't they invited.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭amacca

singasong wrote: »
    hi all i work in steel factory in the west there is about 22 or 23 people working 11 in the yard and the rest in the office. anyway the management is having night out for the office staff and nothing for the lads outside ,its been like that for the last few years, and its creating a bit of them and us attitude what do ye all think ????

I think its a very foolish shortsighted decision by the management

I'd say when push really comes to shove they wont be able to manage their way out of a paper bag

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

They won't care. They have baubles of steel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

Find out where it is and turn up .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

work to rule i say

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭peterk675

Find out where the party is and pop in for one... or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

What? Associate with the hired help? Feck that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Bosses wife will be home alone

Call over with a bottle of wine and start an affair

That'll show your penny pinching boss!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

There must be a reason for this, Either this has always been the way and the management are snobby and only consider the office staff as 'real' staff or else there was a feud started by one party or the other and there is no longer a will for the two groups to mix. You need to tell us more OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Very unfair. They work hard and should get to play hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Is your workplace like this? (sorry for poor clip quality)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

guessing you dont work in the office then...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

That is terrible, the office staff should refuse to go unless their collaugues are invited, if managemaent refuse, just organise a few drinks for everyone,
    That is so poor for Moral in a time when Moral is so low in most work places due to the recession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Those manual working types can get a bit rowdy with the drink. Keep them at arms length old bean.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 singasong

There must be a reason for this, Either this has always been the way and the management are snobby and only consider the office staff as 'real' staff or else there was a feud started by one party or the other and there is no longer a will for the two groups to mix. You need to tell us more OP!

no genuine reason we all used too go out together 7/8years ago then stopped and the yard staff got something like 50 euros that lasted 2 years since then nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

no genuine reason we all used too go out together 7/8years ago then stopped and the yard staff got something like 50 euros that lasted 2 years since then nothing

Very bad form then if thats the case. I would just organise a few drinks amongst yourselves and enjoy it and make no mention of it to the office staff and keep things professional with them, maybe even keep a distance from any birthday or work leaving dos in the future, its obvious they dont regard you on the same level so keep things cool with them and try to just focus on the people you do like..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I hear ye . That's a bit shiyte but why don't you , (you) organise a night out for ye . Make a big deal about it. Push the boat out . Go to a club and all dance in a large circle.

That's what we did this year . Great fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭whymeagain

NAME AND SHAME

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Shinaynay

depends on the relationship between yarc&office staff . like do the yard staff work completely different hours to office staff? are they contracted by a different employer? is there much, if any, social interaction between both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Did you lot cause a scandal last year?

Get barred from the local hotel?
    You should probably read the OP first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Shinaynay wrote: »
    depends on the relationship between yarc&office staff . like do the yard staff work completely different hours to office staff? are they contracted by a different employer? is there much, if any, social interaction between both?

Doesn't really make much difference though - either the employer holds a party for all staff (together or separately) or they are playing favourites and excluding one group of workers.

Even in the case of contract staff I think it's a pretty crappy way to treat employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Where have you been OP? The whole steel industry is gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

think the office staff has some responsibility here, if they respected ye any bit they'd make a point of having ye involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

just show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Thats dreadful how can the owner or managers of the company do something like that in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Perhaps one should have ones own end of year box social with ladies of the night and partake in gambling events, and don't invite any of "them".

And afterwards you can take a dump on the bosses desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 singasong

whymeagain NAME AND SHAME
    not a bad idea. i`ll let ye guess ,,a steel comany in the west with 22/23 working there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

to be honest i'm more shocked that there are 23 jobs out west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

Would this company be based in Oranmore perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

start a petition, or put a notice up in the staffroom saying how stingy u think it is

Advertisement