Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiators: on internal walls or external?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Paddy, pass no remarks, those lovely pins were well insulated up on the steps havin great craic painting the ceiling, proper gent you are :D

Thankyou indeed.:)

And shes a fully qualified professional too,who takes absolutely no shyte from anyone and gets stuck in and gets the work done.:)

Designing and building gardens,opening up beehives,installing large Discuss tanks,planting trees and hedging in the gardens aswell and using the concrete breaker to break up concrete paths...with regards to pics.

So dfbemt must be thinking of another member then.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kenny

External walls are the best place for a radiator typically.

The majority of the heat lost from your room will be via the surface which has the largest temperature difference on the other side from in temperature from the room. More so if windows are installed.

The heat is lost in 2 ways, cold air infiltration into the room (thro small cracks in the window frame or vents) and the building fabric being cooled by the outside air as the cold fabric will absorb the heat form the room.

Putting the radiator on that surface helps both by mixing the cooler air coming in with the warmer room air preventing drafts and also maintaining the surface temperature high enough to prevent condensation forming which can lead to mould etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

paddy147 wrote: »
    Thankyou indeed.:)

And shes a fully qualified professional too,who takes absolutely no shyte from anyone and gets stuck in and gets the work done.:)

Designing and building gardens,opening up beehives,installing large Discuss tanks,planting trees and hedging in the gardens aswell and using the concrete breaker to break up concrete paths...with regards to pics.

So dfbemt must be thinking of another member then.

Suppose she has to be a good allrounder, sure there would be nothing done if it was up to you....... Too busy taking pics:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Suppose she has to be a good allrounder, sure there would be nothing done if it was up to you....... Too busy taking pics:D

Dont forget that I make the cups of tea too...that takes some skill aswell.:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

paddy147 wrote: »
    Dont forget that I make the cups of tea too...that takes some skill aswell.:pac::D

And take pics, plenty of them ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

All heat rises..

Yes, but it doesn't turn corners. I'm not the only person I know who has a staircase that as you go up, you can feel your head enter a different and colder climate... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

The design criteria for the placement of radiators dates back a good bit. It was when there was only radiant panel rads and floor standing casts. They were put under the windows because it was the coldest spot.
    It didn't take into account modern convection rads, double or tripple glaze windows or insulated walls.

I have a modern house with good insulation and none of my rads are on window wall's or external wall's. The place is toasty.

In college we are still thought to place them under the windows.

Advertisement