Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiators: on internal walls or external?

Options
  • 14-12-2012 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of moving some radiators around especially as I have long floor-length curtains. So someone was saying I should move them to internal walls, as this'll help heat the house better. What's the consensus on this? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

external walls your heating the coldest side of the room first.

but if you cover the rads with curtains your not leaving the heat to the room.

up to you, alot cheaper to get shorter curtains

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Thanks, yes, but aesthetics count too! I thought if I move the bedroom radiator to the internal wall, it might somehow help heat the stairwell, which is always cold at the top. The heat from the hall radiator doesn't rise, but stays in the hall. I'd like to have a low even heat throughout the house, and light the stove in the living room where we spend most of the evening. Hope this makes sense.

if your ripping up floors to move rads you can add more no problem. stick one at the top of the stairs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

All heat rises. Any heat loss through walls from a rad fitted on internal walls will loose its heat into the house unlike rads on external walls that will obviously loose it to the outside, i prefer them on internal wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I belive they should be on the external walls, precisely because that's where your heat loss is, so that you don't have an extreme difference between a hot inner and a cold outer part of the room...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Dardania wrote: »
    I belive they should be on the external walls, precisely because that's where your heat loss is, so that you don't have an extreme difference between a hot inner and a cold outer part of the room...
    Is putting that silver heat reflective stuff behind rads any good? Never used it but heard it makes a big difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Rads always work best under windows. The reason is because radiators give limited radiated heated but more connected heat. As the heat rises, the cooler air from the window rushes underneath the warm air to replace it, giving the heated air velocity to travel across the room at high level and return back at mid level, reflected from the opposite wall.
    The will, of course, work on internal walls but not as well.

As for reflective sheets behind the rad, waste of time & money IMHO.

These days with cavity wall insulation and the fact that most Ladies would insist on "aesthetics" first and will not have short curtains or tuck them in above the rad leads me to the opinion that rads on internal walls will do the job as there is no obstruction to the convected heat but not so with rads tucked behind a curtain heating the outside.

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Is putting that silver heat reflective stuff behind rads any good? Never used it but heard it makes a big difference

Pointless the walls need bit of heat too.

corkgsxr wrote: »

Pointless the walls need bit of heat too.
    For what?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

50-80mm Insulated slab on the external walls and then mount the rads below the windows.

Thats what I did.

Simples

paddy147 wrote: »
    50-80mm Insulated slab on the external walls and then mount the rads below the windows.

Thats what I did.

Simples
    Expensive I'd say

Expensive I'd say

I had the entire house slabbed out and insulated the fcuk out of it.

Stripped back to 4 bare walls and had the roof removed too.Energy effiecent windows installed,New roof installed and spray foamed aswell.New heating system and solar system too.Installed a Stovax 8kw multi fuel inset stove aswell.

Short term pain for long term gain.

The house is now beautifully warm,as a result.:)

Expensive I'd say

Even if you slab out the external walls you will notice a big difference.

And its around 25-30 euro for an 8 x 4 insulated slab.

..short term pain for long term gain....:)

I had the entire house slabbed out and insulated the fcuk out of it.

Stripped back to 4 bare walls and had the roof removed too.New roof installed and spray foamed aswell.

Short term pain for long term gain.

The house is now beautifully warm,as a result.:)
    Misread your first post. Thought u had said u had external slabs.

Misread your first post. Thought u had said u had external slabs.

What I mean is the external walls of the house (walls with windows)...if you slab them out internally with insulated slab,then you will notice a difference in the heat retention of the rooms in the house.

You lose a very small amount of floor space,but you gain a warmer cosier house.

I went the whole hog and insulated the entire house from the ground up.

The ceilings are even insulated with insulated slab and then rockwoool sound insulation too.

What I mean is the external walls of the house (walls with windows)...if you slab them out internally with insulated slab,then you will notice a difference in the heat retention of the rooms in the house.

You lose a very small amount of floor space,but you gain a warmer cosier house.

I went the whole hog and insulated the entire house from the ground up.

The ceilings are even insulated with insulated slab and then rockwoool sound insulation too.
    Ah Ye understand now alright. Seen it done a good few times. Good job

Ah Ye understand now alright. Seen it done a good few times. Good job

Had to move out of the house when all the work was being done..but so well worth it in the end.:)

any pics ;)

any pics ;)

:D

Oh about 500 pics or so...and Im really not joking here either.:)

• Advertisement

Had to move out of the house when all the work was being done..but so well worth it in the end.:)
    Plumber colleague of mine built his own house. Didn't want rad pipes coming out of the ground exposed. As he was doing the same as you with the slab he decided to clip the acorn pipe to the wall in first fix and when slabbed he was gonna bring out copper to rad on the horizontal. Months passed and when he went to second fix, acorn had changed their fittings to the big stupid white yokes on the market. There much bigger than the old ones so at all his rads he had to cut the block wall behind the fitting to sink it deeper. Not a fan of those new fittings

Regular Qualpex piping can be used with standard compression fittings.

Regular Qualpex piping can be used with standard compression fittings.
    Of course. He had bought the fittings. Was willing to give them a chance. Don't think he will again. Me myself am not a fan either. I miss the old fittings!

any pics ;)

1,2,3,4 and 5 of 500 or so.;)

I just knew you couldnt resist!

Fart in your house and you'd need to take ya cloths off. :D

I just knew you couldnt resist!

bait hook line sinker........:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

any pics ;)
    :D
    Oh about 500 pics or so...and Im really not joking here either.:)

Please don't get him started with the pics.

We've seen all 500 of them. At least a million times at this stage.

We've even had pics of his missus legs, uninsulated !!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

dfbemt wrote: »

Too much information! Could well be the wrong forum for that kinda exchange! Lol

dfbemt wrote: »

Where??????

Do please show me where I posted it then.....I would be very interested to see this particular pic,seen as I have never posted a pic like that here on any of the forums..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Paddy, pass no remarks, those lovely pins were well insulated up on the steps havin great craic painting the ceiling, proper gent you are :D

Advertisement