Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Coal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Wizard

There is a guy in carlow doing 20kg bags for 5 euro, works out at about 226 per ton but he will deal so would prob sneak it for closer to 200, I bought 8 bags yesterday and seems fine so far

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Dan82

bazmc35 wrote: »
    Hi seen this on donedeal but dont know whats the quality of the coal lik...Anybody used him before????

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/heating/4054396

Ive tried loads of different makes of coal and when i go for cheap coal it leaves me with half the heat and a full fire of ash in the morning,

Im paying 19 euro for 40 kg bag dropped to my door, for Hayes Calco and its great stuff, unreal heat and little or no ash in the morning,

I know times are hard but your aswel to pay extra few euro and get good stuff,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

bazmc35 wrote: »
    Hi seen this on donedeal but dont know whats the quality of the coal lik...Anybody used him before????

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/heating/4054396

Top deal if the quality of the coal is any good.

Would love to hear from anyone that's used the premium coal

€270.00 for 25 x 40kg bags = €10.80 per bag.

I paid €16.40 for premioum coal last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭chasm

Is that price including delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

chasm wrote: »
    Is that price including delivery?

Yeah, but a minimum delivery of 1 ton. So you can't really try a bag beforehand and good luck trying to return it if it's solid dirt.

Have to wonder if VAT is included..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭tinodz

Will buy some of this... will be useful for giving to bad children in the next few weeks,

Aenaes wrote: »
    Yeah, but a minimum delivery of 1 ton. So you can't really try a bag beforehand and good luck trying to return it if it's solid dirt.

Have to wonder if VAT is included..

Don't mind having to order a ton if it saves me a few quid in the long run, but would be concerned whether it is half decent coal or not. I normally use doubles or at the moment im using golden glow small coal which is great in my little stove (12.50/40kg). Might give them a call tomoro and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Don't mind having to order a ton if it saves me a few quid in the long run, but would be concerned whether it is half decent coal or not. I normally use doubles or at the moment im using golden glow small coal which is great in my little stove (12.50/40kg). Might give them a call tomoro and see what they say.

Try asking what name is on the bag. It doesn't really matter as it might say Polish coal but actually be Scottish or Russian but it might give you an indicator of how good it is.
    At 10.80 you're looking at trade price for decent coal or a slightly inflated price for black stones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

i have tried various cheap coal, from tenner a bag, heat is low, alot of slack in the bag too, when i cleaned out the fire the next day it is always full of big lumps of burned coal, spend a bit more and the heat is unreal and only a shovel of ash to clean

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭crazybaldhead

Dan82 wrote: »
    Ive tried loads of different makes of coal and when i go for cheap coal it leaves me with half the heat and a full fire of ash in the morning,

Im paying 19 euro for 40 kg bag dropped to my door, for Hayes Calco and its great stuff, unreal heat and little or no ash in the morning,

I know times are hard but your aswel to pay extra few euro and get good stuff,

Can I ask where you are buying this coal please, cant seem to find it my area and am fed up of the cheap stuff...

Thanks

• Advertisement

Can I ask where you are buying this coal please, cant seem to find it my area and am fed up of the cheap stuff...

Thanks

Yes No problem, Its Michael Farrell i only get the coal off him cause its great stuff and suits our needs but i know he does turf too.

Its best ive used and ive never got stuff that has burnt aswel has what this does, i just call him and he drops in to us, he even brings it in around the back of the house for us, its a great coal and service for the money, the stuff you can buy at 13 or 15 euro is just rubbish from what ive seen and used,

Michael number is 0872281242

Thanks Dan. Ill give him a buzz, what part of the city is he in?

Thanks Dan. Ill give him a buzz, what part of the city is he in?

Based in Newcastle beside rathcoole but i know he looks after a lot of areas, i normally get 6/8 bags off him at a time because the fire can be on all day in our house so i like to have enough that we dont get stuck if bad weather comes in but he will look after you whatever you need id say, as far as i know he looks after alot of dublin and kildare, alot of loyal customers he has cause he stuff is good

My fire only goes on at weekends really but will use it a bit more over the Christmas period, so I wouldnt have the need for 6- 8 bags at a time. I would only have room really to store max two bags at a time so hopefully he can accomodate. Im based on the Navan Road Dublin 7 so best thing to do is give him a buzz and ask him and if he doesnt deliver then Im sure he has a yard I can collect at.

Thanks for the info Dan, very much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

what type/name of smokelesss fuel would you recommend.... just put in a Boru stove and was told to use smokeless only. I have been buying a smokeless variety at 18 per bag.... any ideas please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

what type/name of smokelesss fuel would you recommend.... just put in a Boru stove and was told to use smokeless only. I have been buying a smokeless variety at 18 per bag.... any ideas please

Get a stove only smokeless they are slower to start but have much higher carbon content and thus heat output is higher. I'm using arigna ecobrite now an irish company, it varies between 15.75 and 16.50 for 40kg around here. It has nearly 20% more energy content that premium polish coal so works out around the same of cheaper in termss of heat and there is almost zero smoke.

I was burning bnm black diamond for years which is fairly filthy after a bag of the ecobrite the inside of the stove looked like someone had bleached it lol.

Once lit theres hardly any maintenance it just burns on and on and no riddling as its low ash and no cinders to block the grate. There are other products that would be similar mcpartlands sligo eco glow, cpl fuels phurnacite.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭lanber man

getting a load of this cheap coal tomorrow so will report back how i get on. its the premium coal.

getting a load of this cheap coal tomorrow so will report back how i get on. its the premium coal.

I tried phoning but got voicemail, sent an email via donedeal but no reply. If i don't hear anything by tomorrow i will buy it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭lanber man

I tried phoning but got voicemail, sent an email via donedeal but no reply. If i don't hear anything by tomorrow i will buy it elsewhere.
    i dont know i rang one evening last week and got no answer. sent an email straight after but then he rang me. got another call in relation to my email. so id say he just checks them every day so id say you should get a reply when he checks them. was very helpful in my case anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

They also do doubles @ 235 a ton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Out of interest how long would a bag of coal last?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Out of interest how long would a bag of coal last?

How long is a piece of string?

Mostly we light our fire around 6pm and stop feeding it around 10, also use logs and briquettes, a 40kg bag may last just over a week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

ive been buying 40kg smokeless for 13.50 a bag from this crowd in the pic attached, must say very happy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭horse7

There is a lot of ash from these NUGGETS. They burn very quickly so dont load on to much. They are some kind of compressed brown dust, though not as good as the polish coal that you could get last year. God knows how much we will pay next year with carbon tax on coal.

its bord na mona fireflame coal/nugget mix, nice heat from it

the bags ive been getting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

the bags ive been getting

I hope you aint using this in a stove...;)

http://www.bordnamonafuels.ie/usage-guide

open fire :)

i dont know i rang one evening last week and got no answer. sent an email straight after but then he rang me. got another call in relation to my email. so id say he just checks them every day so id say you should get a reply when he checks them. was very helpful in my case anyway

No call or email back! Weather is getting colder and i've only a few bags of coal left so i think i will be spending my money elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

scudzilla wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string?

Mostly we light our fire around 6pm and stop feeding it around 10, also use logs and briquettes, a 40kg bag may last just over a week

Thanks Scudz.

When using the stove do you also have the heating on?

We are thinking of changing a gas fire to an inset stove next year.

I am also thinking of adding a stove to another room as well.:)

Advertisement