Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'flegs' thing...

Options
  • 09-12-2012 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

...it's all a bit embarrassing really.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Penfailed wrote: »
    ...it's all a bit embarrassing really.

For one side of "the community" at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

for anyone of a balanced outlook on life its embarrassing.

why are idiots rioting in Carickfergus because a neighbouring council makes a decision they don't like?

and then the police come out with the earth shattering comment that they reckon that its paramilitary groups orchestrating the violence.

well I hope you got top of detective class for thinking like that!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Its really sad. Since then flags have popped up everywhere, a few weeks later they are tattered and ripped. They look terrible but the people that hung them dont seem to care about how they look.
    For years the flag hangers have hated Catholics, Nationalists, republicans and people from the Republic of Ireland. They have terrorised innocent people all over the six counties. They have colluded with departments of the British government to murder people. Now they no longer have a majority. What will happen to them in the long run? Will they expect to be treated with more respect than they have treated others with?
    With a growing Catholic community and a shrinking Protestant community what will the demographics be like in twenty years time? If I didnt encounter so much racially prejudiced treatment since moving up here a year ago I might actually feel sorry them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It's kinda died a death over Christmas though. I haven't heard of any protests since the 21st.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

There were some hilarious moments but it ruined the Christmas market and the shops took a big hit. I feel bad for anyone caught up in the trouble, almost every town had some sort of violence.
    They will find something else soon!

• Advertisement

I feel bad for anyone caught up in the trouble, almost every town had some sort of violence.

Ah c'mon, it wasn't as bad as that.

Ah c'mon, it wasn't as bad as that.

A lot of it was nothing. For me it was a few diversions but I saw smashed cars there. 20 towns had some sort of disruption that night and although no one was seriously hurt (except for police and those involved) it would have been distressing for people caught up in the roadblocks etc.

There were some hilarious moments but it ruined the Christmas market and the shops took a big hit. I feel bad for anyone caught up in the trouble, almost every town had some sort of violence.
    They will find something else soon!
    A lot of it was nothing. For me it was a few diversions but I saw smashed cars there. 20 towns had some sort of disruption that night and although no one was seriously hurt (except for police and those involved) it would have been distressing for people caught up in the roadblocks etc.

Oh, Okay. "...almost every town..." is only 20...out of about 250. A bit of an exaggeration. http://lookaly.com/towns

Oh, Okay. "...almost every town..." is only 20...out of about 250. A bit of an exaggeration. http://lookaly.com/towns

20 towns across 5 of the 6 counties is 4 per county. Most of those in that list are villages outside towns and some don't have a loyalist presence.
    You couldn't drive 30 miles without coming across some disturbance.

we have a blue christmas service in our church as a kind of memorial for those folks who's Christmas is blighted by the loss of a loved one which is really accentuated by the coming together that we all do at Christmas.

it really moving and a lot of people come, from our own membership and much further.

of course it was disrupted this year by the protests.

selfish Morons.

• Advertisement

20 towns across 5 of the 6 counties is 4 per county. Most of those in that list are villages outside towns and some don't have a loyalist presence.
    You couldn't drive 30 miles without coming across some disturbance.

Doesn't get away from the fact that you stated that "almost every town had some sort of violence". Sure, there was disturbance in some places from mostly peaceful protests. What I'm disputing is that there wasn't violence in almost every town.

Doesn't get away from the fact that you stated that "almost every town had some sort of violence". Sure, there was disturbance in some places from mostly peaceful protests. What I'm disputing is that there wasn't violence in almost every town.

Why are you nit-picking? What do you hope to achieve from it? What is you goal? Disruption?

Widespread violence and disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Widespread violence and disruption.
    We all know this was not the case and you are simply trolling now. Warning given.

muffler wrote: »
    We all know this was not the case and you are simply trolling now. Warning given.

I really don't get you and the other posters problem with what I have said. If you want I can send you links to articles which mentions dozens of towns being affected in a single night.

I really don't get you and the other posters problem with what I have said. If you want I can send you links to articles which mentions dozens of towns being affected in a single night.

Please post the links, I would be interested in reading the articles.

Offy wrote: »
    Please post the links, I would be interested in reading the articles.

I'll PM you. Anyone else interested PM me. This thread has taken a turn and I'm unfollowing it.

Offy wrote: »
    Why are you nit-picking? What do you hope to achieve from it? What is you goal? Disruption?

He's trying to make it sound worse than it is/was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Embarrassing really.......i'm from tyrone and i've been asked a few times about the whole "flag" issue.

To be honest i'm glad i live in dublin now - people don't care about your religion, surname, where you went to school - not an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I wondered what happend to the much-touted Unionist Forum and also the legal challenge to the removal of the Fleg, both of which were to happen before Christmas? :rolleyes:

they are now planning a protest in Dublin to demand the Tricolour is removed from Dublin city hall.

As a moderate unionist, I'm ashamed and horrified by thier infantile behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

they are now planning a protest in Dublin to demand the Tricolour is removed from Dublin city hall.
    Looking at the IRA funeral of Alan Ryan not so long ago in Dublin, I'd wonder what sort of reception they'll get this time around?

el tel wrote: »
    I wondered what happend to the much-touted Unionist Forum and also the legal challenge to the removal of the Fleg, both of which were to happen before Christmas? :rolleyes:

A bit later than anticipated but it would appear that the forum has been formed - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20912029#?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Got this in an email and thought it was worth of posting ;)

flag1.jpg

Solution?

227789_4643145350912_982569703_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Right now there is a "Sons and Daughters" concert in Derry/Londonderry to mark the start of the UK City of Culture year. Guess who is protesting outside? no not republicans, but a group of loyalists trying to disrupt it. The mind boggles!:mad:

guttenberg wrote: »
    Right now there is a "Sons and Daughters" concert in Derry/Londonderry to mark the start of the UK City of Culture year. Guess who is protesting outside? no not republicans, but a group of loyalists trying to disrupt it. The mind boggles!:mad:

Yeah. I'd heard about that. They are also planning a protest at the Bloody Sunday commemorations :eek:

• Advertisement

Yeah. I'd heard about that. They are also planning a protest at the Bloody Sunday commemorations :eek:

They put up parachute regiment flags on a street over-looking a nationalist area... I think in the fountain.
    To their credit the residents took them down.

Advertisement