Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sir Patrick Moore has died

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I heard he filmed the last episode of The Sky At Night just a week ago so assume this has not yet been aired?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Do you think they will keep the show going?

I certainly hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Back when my interest started in Astronomy, you'd go to any book shop and most if not all titles where by Patrick Moore, I'd say I bought most of his books in the 80s and 90s. As a kid I looked forward to the yearbook of astronomy to tell me what to look for and when. I met him after a lecture he did in Trinity in the Burke theatre, I think about 86, he made sure to stay around afterwards to chat to all the kids, and that I always remember. His matter of fact tone had its own humour about it, thanks Patrick for inspiring the curioisity of the heavens in me and so many people. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Rovi wrote: »
    RIP Sir Patrick.

He was (allegedly) one of a very small group of people who had personally met three of the 'Greats' of human flight: Orville Wright, Yuri Gagarin, and Neil Armstrong.
    I remember years ago on the Sky At Night he made the point that the lives of Orville Wright (d 1948) and Neil Armstrong (b 1930) overlapped and it is astonishing to think that the first man to fly and the first man to walk on the moon were actually living at the same time when you think about it.
    He served in the RAF in WW2 as guess what - a navigator.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Madbod

I watched him on TV on and off for 25 years, saw him give a talk when he visited my part of the world

He was passionate, extremely knowledgeable and highly entertaining , we'll never see his like again

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bigfellalixnaw

Poor man, another unfortunate ending to an Era.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

He lived a life to be proud of.
    Thank you for being such an inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

:(
    Not a regular poster here but had to stop by on this occasion.
    Loved watching his programmes over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

One of the very few people in the public eye I would have loved to have met.

He has inspired and directed many generations of stargazer and explorer and I can well remember watching The Sky at Night as a Child.

I also remember seeing him on BBC (for a charity show?) playing the Xylophone!
    And very well too :)

I know that in recent years Patrick's eyesight had failed miserably....just when such great new visual discoveries and images were being made.

Patrick, wherever you are, I hope it's has a great Cosmic view!!

Rest in peace Sir Patrick Moore.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

.....and another little bit of my childhood is whittled away.

Always enjoyed watching him......a great science communicator with infectious enthusiasm he always made me want to look up!

on a more esoteric note, Tom Hanks could play him in a biopic.......:)

_64659553_624olto9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ps200306

I just watched my recording of last week's Sky at Night. Strange experience.

Patrick Moore -- the inspiration for generations of amateur and professional astronomers. Rest in Peace.

Advertisement