Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sir Patrick Moore has died

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭crow_eat_crow

A remarkable man. His infectious zeal inspired a huge interest in astronomy to an awful lot of people. RIP.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

RIP Gamesmaster :(

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

What a pity. RIP Patrick, you will be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Legend in his field. Will be missed. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

RIP Sir Patrick.

He was (allegedly) one of a very small group of people who had personally met three of the 'Greats' of human flight: Orville Wright, Yuri Gagarin, and Neil Armstrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Just reading this on BBC website, sad day for astronomy, RIP Sir P.Moore

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I remember being a very young child and watching The Sky At Night with my dad,not understanding it but being fascinated. As an adult i still don't understand a lot of it!R.I.P,a true legend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

What a legend. He inspired me as a child and an adult. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,252 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

RIP :(
    I'm pretty sure the sky at night is in the guinness book of records for longest running tv show with same presenter or something along those lines.
    Remarkable man, will be missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Very sorry to hear the old gent has passed away, himself and Carl Sagan kindled my own interest in the cosmos when I was a young lad.

RIP Patrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Legend, he will be greatly missed, RIP Sir Patrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

RIP A true hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭BULLER

His interest and passion in space inspires us all.

Rest In Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

RIP spaceman. A loss to us all.

Such sad news was a great old gent (

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Thanks for ALL you did Sir Patrick R.I.P.

I never use the word but in this case i do .....LEGEND .

Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

never lost touch with the amateur community even with his fame.
    such a great loss to amateur astronomy. a true legend! RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

R.I.P, very sad news, wonder is his spirit up with the stars and space dust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

RIP Sir Patrick, now go and take a closer look at the wonderful universe you introduced so many of us to. Grateful thanks from myself as one of many millions you inspired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

R.I.P Patrick Moore..very sad news indeed..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Amongst the stars now!
    A great man and will be sadly missed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Loved watching the Sky at Night since I was young. One of the main reasons I got into astronomy. An absolute legend of a man.
    RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Loved watching the Sky at Night since I was young.
    RIP.

me too!!!
    RIP Patrick

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

RIP Patrick. He was a great inspiration for many astronomers. Many of us have something or other of his amongst our astronomy gear, or something recommended by him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Legend.

Rip Sir Patrick, an inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There was some rather unkind criticism of his show in the last couple of years in various places. I think 'fair play to the BBC' - for once, a TV show was decidedly non-ageist! (They and other TV stations routinely kick women off the air when they hit 50, and older men are only slightly more tolerated.) Mr Moore's input into the last couple of series may have been somewhat less than before, but I admire the man greatly nonetheless and he deserves great respect for his admirable achievements over decades of broadcasting. In spite of advancing age and physical infirmity, he continued his involvement in his life's work right up until the end. From cosmic dust we have come, and to cosmic dust we shall return.

One of the most memorable incidents in his broadcasts occurred during the Apollo programme. He was reporting from Kennedy Space Centre when a large fly (a bluebottle, apparently) landed on his tongue, live on air. In the spirit of broadcasting professionalism, he simply swallowed it and continued on as if nothing had happened!

Thank you Sir Patrick for your inspiration, knowledge, and enthusiasm for space exploration.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Heard the news on the radio while in the car, really sad news.
    I have the latest Sky at Night recorded but not watched yet, it will be a bit strange.

Do you think they will keep the show going?
    A special episode or two obviously, but after that, new format?

The man was the Sky at Night.... He will ne missed :(

Advertisement