Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creation Watches & Customs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    I got a couple of watches last year from creation both around the 130 mark and both declared at 65 dollars odd. The customs for the 1st was a bit cheaper as dhl have introduced a minimum handling charge of 10 euro on top of the customs tax. The under declaration is a bit of a concern. What do customs do in that case? Do they look for proof of purchase and then tax u based on this instead of the declared value?

They do look for proof of purchase and the invoice to match re shipping etc, mine came in at €20.13 but the courier who delivered never said anything and there was no invoice or bill for the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

So, one hundred and thirty five euros... 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

art wrote: »

Yikes! How much was the watch itself if you dont mind me asking and what did you go for?

Will put a photo up later, it's a Seiko Automatic dress style watch with a proper fired enamel dial. Cost 637 dollars which worked out at around 560 euros.

EDIT: Photos there now on the photo thread... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94058352&postcount=3001

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Don't worry art. They have your address to send the bill to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I ordered from creation last sunday and got the watch this morning from DHL . They charged €22 customs which included their 10 euro handling fee...Very quick delievery

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

Im heading over to the states next week and am wondering if i order the watch off creation and get it delivered to my hotel would the customs be much cheaper.?im looking at getting a seiko automatic divers 007 watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

bazbrady wrote: »
    Im heading over to the states next week and am wondering if i order the watch off creation and get it delivered to my hotel would the customs be much cheaper.?im looking at getting a seiko automatic divers 007 watch.

If it was me I wouldn't bother. I have bought from Creation and was very pleased with the experience but there is a certain amount of noise on the internet that suggests that their comms aren't 100% reliable if something goes wrong - I'd suggest that you're making a rod for your own back. Also - what happens if it gets intercepted by US customs (I have no idea if this is likely) - how would you deal with that and how much time would you have over there to sort it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Maybe have a look on Amazon.com instead - you're pretty much guaranteed delivery within a couple of working days within the US, and probably free shipping too.

As an aside, check if the hotel charge to take delivery of packages. I got stung last summer, especially as Amazon decided to send 2 items separately despite my telling them to ship together. Usually just happens in conference hotels though, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Also it's Chinese new year. I doubt creation will be open till the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Fireblade77

I ordered Tuesday the 24th Feb, I got it today Fri 27th Feb,
    It's an orient disk. Paid courier 22.50 at the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Will put a photo up later, it's a Seiko Automatic dress style watch with a proper fired enamel dial. Cost 637 dollars which worked out at around 560 euros.

EDIT: Photos there now on the photo thread... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94058352&postcount=3001

Hi Art

that is just an incredible watch - my favorite on the whole thread. How did the total cost you paid in the end compare with buying it elsewhere?

LorMal wrote: »
    Hi Art

that is just an incredible watch - my favorite on the whole thread. How did the total cost you paid in the end compare with buying it elsewhere?

It's a Japanese Domestic Market watch so difficult to get elsewhere, nowhere within the EU will have it, so I always took account of the vat been added to the cost when considering it. I could have been lucky of course but knew the watch was worth it anyway - Seiko's JDM watches are generally of a higher spec than their overseas output though so you are still get value for money by buying directly from Japan (I didn't get it from Creation by the way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

It's a Japanese Domestic Market watch so difficult to get elsewhere, nowhere within the EU will have it, so I always took account of the vat been added to the cost when considering it. I could have been lucky of course but knew the watch was worth it anyway - Seiko's JDM watches are generally of a higher spec than their overseas output though so you are still get value for money by buying directly from Japan (I didn't get it from Creation by the way)

Yeah, I have had a look online and I think you probably did as well as can be expected.
    How is the watch for you? Looks great - and very long lasting I suspect?

Wear it all the time now, yes, very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭Soarer

Gonna bump this lads.

Looking at a watch for around the €400 mark on Creation. Is the customs thing still hit and miss? And delivery still quick?

Edit: Also, what if you were to get it delivered to Parcel Motel up the North? Less chance of being stung by UK customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Soarer wrote: »
    Gonna bump this lads.

Looking at a watch for around the €400 mark on Creation. Is the customs thing still hit and miss? And delivery still quick?

Edit: Also, what if you were to get it delivered to Parcel Motel up the North? Less chance of being stung by UK customs?

I've bought 5 watches off them in the past, 4 at less than 200 euro Each and a tag for around 1300...was stung by customs each time. For the 4 cheaper, it was about 25 each for customs....delivery each time was around a week....I find them good if you don't mind paying a few bob for customs....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I think because they always deliver with FedEx you're always going to pay customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I have had a couple of Tissots and Seiko's delivered to Spain from them. Never a problem.
    Could be an option for you if you have contacts over here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

Soarer wrote: »
    Gonna bump this lads.

My snail mail watch from creation was stopped by UK customs (going to parcelmotel) and then opened and inspected by a member of the post office (according to the note/tape - was really worried when I got the parcel from the PM cabinet thing as it was ripped to shreds and wrapped up in tape).

It had a customs value of $20 listed (Which I didn't ask for) but was resealed and sent onwards to me.

I wondered if because it's a parcel forwarding system, UK customs were happy once there wasn't drugs/whatever else (banned animal hide strap?) in there actually going to a UK address and let it go, leaving it up to the Irish side to catch it for customs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

sorry to raise an old thread

Got flagged by DHL for a €64 customs fee on a watch I paid €180 for.
    This seems crazy excessive - can anyone shed any light on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Unfortunately you got 23% vat, excise AND DHL handling charge of at least €10 no doubt! The VAT alone would be around €42, and the duty charge on top of that (dependant on the type of product, it varies) so sounds about right unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

15 euro admin fee + 23% of 180 = 56.4

Was the watch undervalued by the sender? If so customs might of applied a higher value to the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

jh79 wrote: »
    15 euro admin fee + 23% of 180 = 56.4

Was the watch undervalued by the sender? If so customs might of applied a higher value to the watch.

The shipping cost is also taken in to account for the valuation. My guess is watch undervalued + shipping cost, 23% + handling fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,826 ✭✭✭✭unkel

^^^

Something like that. No excise or import duty on watches. Just VAT on purchase cost + shipping cost + insurance cost

And the admin fee.

unkel wrote: »
    ^^^

Something like that. No excise or import duty on watches.

There is, but it's small, 4.5%, which would in fact add the 8 euros to the 56 mentioned above to bring it to 64

You're right, art. It seems to be an EU wide fixed import duty rate of 4.5% on the likes of watches. A guick google gave me several references to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Bumping this thread again.

Have my eye on a lovely hamilton watch at around the 450 mark.

Has anyone had any success recently with avoiding customs charges when ordering from creation? I read on other sites if you select the registered airmail option without watch box as opposed to dhl delivery there is a better chance? Any advice welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Some what better chance of smaller packages slipping through in my experience over the last year anyway. I dont mind paying vat if its stopped. Its the admin fees that piss me off seen as its already their job.

Might be worth your while looking in the watch shop in kildare village if your any way close. Massive savings in their from time to time.

• Advertisement

Has anyone had any success recently with avoiding customs charges when ordering from creation? I read on other sites if you select the registered airmail option without watch box as opposed to dhl delivery there is a better chance? Any advice welcome!

That's what creation suggested on their website. And nope. Didn't work for me a few weeks ago. Got stung for VAT + EUR10 admin fee. Missed the delivery, so had to go out to the An Post sorting office. They don't take any cards or cheques, just cash. And they don't have any change either. Welcome to the Irish public service in 2019 :rolleyes:

Advertisement