Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creation Watches & Customs

Options
  • 05-12-2012 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

How likely am I to be caught by customs if I use the FedEx delivery option?

Also whats the likely delivery time with the standard post?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

I've only bought from them once - but delivery was super-fast, couple of days, and there was no customs charge so i reckon go for it - you'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

I got my Orange Monster last week from Creation using FedEx.
    Just received a bill for €24.50 from FedEx today.
    I think if u choose the slower mail u have a better chance of not having to pay
    Charges.
    I think FedEx automatically pay the charges on your behalf and then pass on the bill to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

The Fedex thing with Creationwatches confuses me; my last purchase from Creation came via Fedex but there was no customs bill to follow (obviously my dispatch was to the UK) and I know a few others who have had this experience. I understand that at some point the EU shipments were landing elsewhere (France?) and going through customs there which might indicate why they don't appear on the Irish Revenue radar. Iggy's experience is the most recent so probably the most relevant or maybe he was just unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Would I get it before xmas with the slower mail?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

Ordered a watch yesterday selecting the snail mail and still got an email with a tracking number from Fedex saying watch was dispatched priority. Am buying expecting to pay customs but was hoping to avoid the fedex admin charges. Don't think An Post charge as much for the privilege of collecting the tax.

• Advertisement

How much are the FedEx admin charges?

jh79 wrote: »
    How much are the FedEx admin charges?

Not sure remember reading some where it was a few euro over 5 any way maybe a bit more. Surprised Iggys bill is so low. Dutycalculator.com gives me a tax of €34.96 on a $199 dollar watch.

Ryath wrote: »
    Ordered a watch yesterday selecting the snail mail and still got an email with a tracking number from Fedex saying watch was dispatched priority. Am buying expecting to pay customs but was hoping to avoid the fedex admin charges. Don't think An Post charge as much for the privilege of collecting the tax.

Yea that's what happened me. I selected snail mail and got FedEx tracking .
    Just as well Creation mark the value down on the package otherwise the charges would be very high.
    So for a watch that cost €160 I ended up paying €24.50 charges.

iggy wrote: »
    Yea that's what happened me. I selected snail mail and got FedEx tracking .
    Just as well Creation mark the value down on the package otherwise the charges would be very high.
    So for a watch that cost €160 I ended up paying €24.50 charges.

What value did they mark it at?

Not sure remember reading some where it was a few euro over 5 any way maybe a bit more. Surprised Iggys bill is so low. Dutycalculator.com gives me a tax of €34.96 on a $199 dollar watch.

Creation marked the value of package as $65 and marked it as ' measuring instrument '

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I just ordered from them the other week, took a couple of days before it actually shipped because they didn't understand the Irish no-postcode address. Just replied saying yes I have no postcode and it went fine. I seem to remember Fedex being selected automatically but haven't been charged anything so far, fingers crossed.

Shipped Nov 28th and got here Dec 3rd, pretty good considering all the locations it went through: SINGAPORE SG --> GUANGZHOU CN --> KOELN DE --> PARIS FR --> STANSTED GB --> DUBLIN IE.

iggy wrote: »
    Creation marked the value of package as $65 and marked it as ' measuring instrument '

So €11.42 VAT on that value leaves €13.08 admin charge from Fedex thats taking the piss. Am ok paying the tax but the admin charge is creaming it. Hope my package is marked that low or I'll paying nearly €50. From my reading Fedex always collect the tax other couriers and postal are more hit and miss.

Maybe include a note on the order in the comments jh79 to insure it's dispatched regular post you should still have it for christmas.

So €11.42 VAT on that value leaves €13.08 admin charge from Fedex thats taking the piss. Am ok paying the tax but the admin charge is creaming it. Hope my package is marked that low or I'll paying nearly €50. From my reading Fedex always collect the tax other couriers and postal are more hit and miss.

Maybe include a note on the order in the comments jh79 to insure it's dispatched regular post you should still have it for christmas.

Yea those figures are close enough.
    I will get the exact breakdown of charges later when I'm home.
    In the last few weeks I've got 2 watches from Hong Kong using snail mail and didn't have to pay any charges.
    Basically I think if Creation ship your watch via FedEx you will have to pay charges.
    Maybe i will email them and ask why when I chose snail mail , and they used FedEx

How long did it take for the watches to arrive from hong kong?

How long did it take for the watches to arrive from hong kong?

One took 10 days and the other took 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

I also ordered a watch from Creation Watches yesterday. I received an email this morning saying the item has been shipped. I have an order number but no tracking number.

I'll update this thread once I have more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

From my reading Fedex always collect the tax other couriers and postal are more hit and miss.

Having ordered bicycle parts from the US I know that UPS also seem to do the Revenue's work for them pretty much automatically.

One other thought about Creation is that they may dispatch from different places and this may also reflect on dispatch method and likely customs charges. I have definitely read that they ship their Japan Domestic Market Seikos from Japan and that these are almost guaranteed to incur charges. I wonder whether there is a difference if they send from Singapore or Hong Kong?

Having ordered bicycle parts from the US I know that UPS also seem to do the Revenue's work for them pretty much automatically.

One other thought about Creation is that they may dispatch from different places and this may also reflect on dispatch method and likely customs charges. I have definitely read that they ship their Japan Domestic Market Seikos from Japan and that these are almost guaranteed to incur charges. I wonder whether there is a difference if they send from Singapore or Hong Kong?

Mine was shipped from Singapore
    Here's the journey it went

Shipment Travel History
    Nov 22, 2012 12:39 PM
    Delivered
    Nov 22, 2012 8:37 AM
    On FedEx vehicle for delivery
    Nov 22, 2012 8:32 AM
    International shipment release - Import
    Nov 22, 2012 8:32 AM
    At local FedEx facility
    Nov 22, 2012 6:02 AM
    At destination sort facility
    Nov 22, 2012 5:06 AM
    In transit
    Nov 22, 2012 4:02 AM
    Departed FedEx location
    Nov 22, 2012 3:36 AM
    In transit
    Nov 21, 2012 10:14 PM
    Departed FedEx location
    Nov 21, 2012 5:41 PM
    Arrived at FedEx location
    Nov 21, 2012 5:41 PM
    In transit
    Nov 21, 2012 1:20 PM
    Nov 21, 2012 12:44 PM
    In transit
    Nov 21, 2012 12:16 PM
    Departed FedEx location
    Nov 21, 2012 10:07 AM
    Nov 21, 2012 5:19 AM
    Departed FedEx location
    Nov 21, 2012 1:38 AM
    Nov 20, 2012 10:06 PM
    In transit
    Nov 20, 2012 9:38 PM
    In transit
    Nov 20, 2012 9:38 PM
    In transit
    Nov 20, 2012 2:59 PM
    Left FedEx origin facility
    Nov 20, 2012 11:44 AM
    Picked up
    Nov 16, 2012 10:55 PM
    Shipment information sent to FedEx

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

any time I got stuff shipped from the US with fedex they always have held up the shipment until the customs has been cleared, usually by them giving me a phone call or by post

off topic, but I was looking at the seiko 5's on creation but then saw this on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000SA8UWC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p241_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0EBJH59M475CSZ9BXPE5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=317828027&pf_rd_i=468294

is this a good price for a japan made seiko 5 sports?

• Advertisement

off topic, but I was looking at the seiko 5's on creation but then saw this on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000SA8UWC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p241_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0EBJH59M475CSZ9BXPE5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=317828027&pf_rd_i=468294

is this a good price for a japan made seiko 5 sports?

If you like it it doesn't seem like bad value about €135. The seiko sngz15j1 I'm interested in is £110 + 10.90 delivery from amazon about €149.
    http://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-automatic-sports-89/seiko-automatic-sports-snzg15j1-snzg15j-snzg15-mens-watch-2222.html

From creation its €99 But with VAT and fedex charges would be about €135. Still mulling it over if I order from creation again I'll be adding a note to make sure it is sent registered post not by fedex.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

lads thinking of order the watch below from creation. how much customs should i be expecting and if order tomorrow will i get it before christmas. also what % of chance is there i will get away with it

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-velatura-79/seiko-velatura-kinetic-direct-drive-srh005p1-srh005p-srh005-1280.html

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

I've got 3 watches, and I've had to pay Fedex €25 on two (Monsters ) The other watch also a Seiko but a bit more expensive I had to pay €10!

lads thinking of order the watch below from creation. how much customs should i be expecting and if order tomorrow will i get it before christmas. also what % of chance is there i will get away with it

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-velatura-79/seiko-velatura-kinetic-direct-drive-srh005p1-srh005p-srh005-1280.html

Based on full price €111.50 VAT + €10.50 fedex admin fee. Iggy said his package was marked in value to €65 from €199 so he didn't pay full amount so if yours is too you'll pay a lot less. Bear in mind if customs are not happy with declared amount they may look for evidence from what you really payed. If the watch was sent by post there is less chance of it being picked up for customs but I reckon it's getting tight to get by christmas.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I just ordered from them the other week, took a couple of days before it actually shipped because they didn't understand the Irish no-postcode address. Just replied saying yes I have no postcode and it went fine. I seem to remember Fedex being selected automatically but haven't been charged anything so far, fingers crossed.

Shipped Nov 28th and got here Dec 3rd, pretty good considering all the locations it went through: SINGAPORE SG --> GUANGZHOU CN --> KOELN DE --> PARIS FR --> STANSTED GB --> DUBLIN IE.

I spoke too soon. Got an invoice in the door from Fedex this morning, €9.70. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I spoke too soon. Got an invoice in the door from Fedex this morning, €9.70. :(

Only €9.70? normally FedEx charge €10 as a handling fee + customs fees on top.

HDMI wrote: »
    Only €9.70? normally FedEx charge €10 as a handling fee + customs fees on top.

Aye, maybe I got lucky. No price on the box it came in and watch was only €80 I think.

Update on this watch came on the 11th and invoice from fedex this morning €24.52 total €10.50 fedex admin fee with €2.42 vat paid on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Ryath,

I'm trying to use that duty calculator to find out how much tax I might have to pay on a Seiko I bought from creation watches value $235.

I entered the value and then"0" for shipping and insurance, when I hit the calculate button it says hat no duty is payable.

Am wondering am I using it right.

Tnx,

TbL

• Advertisement

Ryath,

I'm trying to use that duty calculator to find out how much tax I might have to pay on a Seiko I bought from creation watches value $235.

I entered the value and then"0" for shipping and insurance, when I hit the calculate button it says hat no duty is payable.

Am wondering am I using it right.

Tnx,

TbL

Seems to be something up with the site it's not working for me either. VAT at 23% is all that is due so about €41 + €13 fedex admin charge. That's based on the full price though, creation seem to put a lower price on the invoice so you will likely pay a good bit less. Could try adding a request to the order to ensure its is sent by regular post I don't know the An Post charges but they surely don't milk it like fedex. Possibly worth paying the extra for the security of it being couriered though.

Advertisement